Grounding Cornet2 to brass top plate

jetpack

Grounding Cornet2 to brass top plate
« on: 16 Aug 2012, 10:31 pm »
Hi all.

It is now a few months since I 'finished' my Cornet2 and I couldn't be happier with the sound. When I finally insulated the RCA jacks from the chassis, it became completely quiet. This is a great phono stage. I've also been swapping rectifiers (5Y3gb, 5Z4g, and 5V4g) and have settled on the 5V4g and don't really feel like swapping any more resistors, so I think it will stay put!

However, I am disappointed with the job I did putting it into a Hammond chassis. I'm about to start on a brass top plate with a wooden box. My newbie question is: Can I just relocate the grounding post to the brass top plate? Would it be better if I sourced a sheet of copper?

Thanks to all for any answers and thanks to JH for reintroducing the Clarinet boards!

Bill

hagtech

Re: Grounding Cornet2 to brass top plate
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2012, 10:18 pm »
Yes, you can move the grounding post.

jh

galyons

Re: Grounding Cornet2 to brass top plate
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:19 pm »
Can I just relocate the grounding post to the brass top plate? Would it be better if I sourced a sheet of copper?

Thanks to all for any answers and thanks to JH for reintroducing the Clarinet boards!

Bill

As Jim stated, not a problem.  IIRC, the grounding stud in the BOM for the Cornet2 is nickel plated brass.  BTW, brass is an alloy of mostly copper with zinc for increased ability to machine.

+1 on the Clarinet boards!!

Cheers,
Geary