A newbie from Boston

gger2000

A newbie from Boston
« on: 6 Jun 2020, 05:27 am »
Hi Audio Circle friends!

I recently had the opportunity to listen to an entry-level headphone audiophile set up and since then I started learning about the audiophile universe. I came to this forum eager to learn more and with the hope to better equip myself to buy an appropriate entry-level headphone system.

I hope to have fun in the process and resist the temptation of spending too much on this new hobby. Best!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: A newbie from Boston
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2020, 05:40 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
An way of see the situation is if you buy a cheap HP now you will spend more in the future to buy another top level HP and expensive. This can be worthwhile if the HP in question is very good and cheap.

Other detail is avoid single ended banana plugs, prefer the balanced XLR-4 plugs much better sound.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2020, 09:12 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2020, 10:55 am »
Welcome!

Are you interested in headphones because of cost, need to cut down on noise for others, wanting to have it mobile, or going for the ultimate in detail?  Until recently we had a headphone circle, you can probably still find it - it would be filled with lots of good information. 

Many different kinds of headphones, so first you'll need to audition for yourself to discover what works for you.  Some tolerate ear buds very well.  Do you want open or closed headphones?  Are you interested in heavier/more expensive wireless headphones?  Any interest in ambisonic (recreated sound staging versus the stark left/right presentation of standard headphones)? 

Some smart phones actually provide reasonably good headphone amps.  XLR is expensive and many don't consider it worthwhile for headphone use.  Otherwise a good starting point is Schiit.com (American made yet affordable by audio standards, many of the higher priced pieces are upgradable, a "different" type of company mindset). 

Of course you'll need a source for the music.  Streaming is the obvious choice, inexpensive, convenient, and millions of albums to choose from. 

gger2000

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2020, 05:06 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and the advice!  @FullRangeMan: As for the headphones, I already bought a closed headphone, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, and have already ordered, though I will receive it in about a month, the open headphone Senn HD 6xx from Drop (the equivalent to the HD 650).  I bought them both new at a quite discounted price, and I believe they are both very entry-level audiophile HPs.  The HD 6xx can be used with balanced cables with an adaptor for XLR connection but it would require an amplifier with a balanced output, which those tend to be more expensive, and I was wondering whether that feature is really worth it for an entry-level setup.  @JLM: I chose headphones rather than speakers because of (1) lower cost, (2) cut down in noise because I don't live alone, and (3) with the conception (or misconception) that I can get much more detail per dollar than with speakers.  I definitely will not use it mobile.  Mostly I will use it at my desktop computer, and perhaps in the home theater (which is fitted with a non-audiophile DAC + 6-channel headphone amplifier with 6 Bose QC25 headphones).  JLM, you intrigued me about the "ambisonic" headphones, which I never heard of before, so I will do some research on that, but for the moment I think I pulled the triggered on those 2 cans, period.  I guess I had a good intuition and did buy from Schiit.com the DAC Modi 3 with the AK4490 DAC.  The last part of the setup is the amplifier which I do not have.  Actually, I had the Schiit Magni 3+ for exactly a month when it went up in smoke and stopped working.  Fortunately, I bought it at Amazon and the episode happened 15 minutes before the return window closed, and I was able to process a return.  What a close call indeed!  It felt epic.  I loved the sound of the DT 770 Pro in the Schiit stack.  I had never listened to anything with that good quality sound in my entire life.  However, when I listen to live instruments, for example, a xylophone, I can get a sound in the treble frequency that I don't think can be reproduced by my setup, not even close.  My source is a PC running Amazon music HD, with songs sampled at 24bit and 48-192 kHz.  Maybe I haven't found the right recording yet.  Anyway, before I continue digressing too long.  I wanted to say that I don't think I want to replace the Magni 3+ for another of the same but rather I'm looking at a higher-end amplifier, perhaps a used Schiit Lyr 3 or Lyr 2 solid state-tube hybrid, or a DarkVoice 336SE tube OTL amplifier.  Do you think it is worth it for the DAC and cans that I have?  Do you think that any of those will match the HD 6xx and the DT 770 Pro cans.  Do you recommend me any other amplifier (in the $100-450 range)?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2020, 04:35 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC gger2000    :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2020, 11:01 am »
Sorry, haven't owned serious headphones in 40+ years, just spouting what I've read.  But seems like you've bought headphones well beyond what most would buy for the given electronics.  Do like Schiit's design and marketing approach.  So did try a Gungnir Multi-Bit and the original Freya + a couple of years back (with really nice speakers and NOS tubes), but they offered no improvement compared to a $900 combined unit already on hand, so sent them both back.  My impression is, like from many manufacturers, to aim for their middle of the road pieces (the meat of their line-up). 

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2020, 01:11 pm »
Welcome!