If we were to offer mods for a DAC....

modwright

Re: If we were to offer mods for a DAC....
« Reply #40 on: 26 Apr 2018, 12:24 am »
I replied.  Please call me at 360.247.6688.

I am anxious to get going on it!

Thanks,

Dan

jackox

« Reply #41 on: 19 May 2018, 10:40 am »
What about Teac UD/NT 503/505 series?
These even have an optional master clock CG-10M

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #42 on: 19 May 2018, 10:57 am »
It sounds like you're talking about what I'd think of as a tube buffer. Correct?

modwright

« Reply #43 on: 20 May 2018, 07:03 pm »
OK, a bit of an update:

I have a Musical Paradise D2 DAC here and I have a direct and highly beneficial mod developed for it. In stock form, with 6922 tubes and this unit has AKM DACs, it is good but not great. It just seems a bit forward and somehow lacking in overall cohesion, soundstage and depth.

I first studied the circuit, using the 6922 in this case and the power supply.  I decided that the operating bias point chosen by the designer is not ideal and I have addressed this.  The result is VERY good and makes a BIG difference!

The power supply design is good, but simple. High voltage is used, presumably to allow for the use of many different tubes.  I like the 6922 tube and so my mods for this DAC will focus on the use of this tube.  The transformers are isolated from the audio circuitry via steel enclosure which is good and a choke is also used in the HV supply.  My next step will be to replace a simple RC main filter with a discrete high voltage regulator. I expect this will make another significant difference in the performance.  When I am finished, I expect this DAC to sound FANTASTIC!

RE TEAC designs. I have looked at their offerings and they do offer good promise! I am continuing to study them.

RE the Universal Mod box, it is much more than a tube buffer.  It would essentially be the mod analog stage that we install in our existing Oppo 205's, or very similar, but will be in one box, including the supply.  It will provide analog filtering, gain and buffering and possibly include a volume control and analog input.  As such, it could potentially serve as Digital source mod and line stage to the amp.  The digital mod input would ideally be a low level signal, post DAC output, before analog filtering and stock op-amp circuitry.  Our mod box would take this signal and provide filtering, gain and buffering.  The digital source would serve as digital processor, but would hand off analog duties to our mod box. This would involve a minor change to the source, providing a stock analog stage path to its stock outputs and a switched output, that takes the lowest level signal after the DAC, out to separate outputs to feed our mod box.

I hope this all makes sense and gives you all an idea of the direction that we are pursuing.  I am still looking for a good candidate for the Universal Mod box (a better name to follow...). Ideally a DAC with DSD, Roon, MQA capability, etc.

I will announce mod offerings for the Musical Paradise DAC 2 for those who are interested.  This design offers tremendous value for the money and I believe can be made to be great, with a few simple and cost-effective re-design and changes.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing more from all of you.

Dan

thetubeguy1954

« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2018, 06:18 am »
Dan, I also own a Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC. I happen to own some 6H30-DR NOS tubes, will these be able to be used?  If I have to I could use my Voskhod 6H23n tubes instead of the 6922 tubes, but would greatly prefer using the 6H30-DR tubes instead!   Any ballpark idea of what your mod for the Musical Paradise MP-D2 DAC will cost?

I'm listening to A Place For Me by Margot Roi

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society -- Full-range/Wide-range Drivers -- Front & Back-Loaded Horns -- High Sensitivity Speakers

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2018, 12:38 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on the universal mod box. It took me a couple reads of that paragraph to realize what you're talking about is a mod for just about any dac. To be perfectly clear though, it would require internal mods to my dac. Correct?

modwright

« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2018, 04:09 pm »
s for the mod to the MP-D2 DAC, I would say the mod will be in the $750 range, depending on parts quality and scope.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2018, 04:11 pm »
As for the 'mod box' for lack of a better name at this point, ideally, the DAC or player would have a simple mod done to it also, yes.  This would take out the low level signal right at the DAC, to a switch and separate set of outputs.  This would allow you to compare the sound of the stock outputs to the modified sound through our Universal Mod Box (UMB).

Thanks,

Dan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2018, 04:40 pm »
Dan,

Does your mod on the MP-D2 include replacing the stock volume control? If so, which volume control models are available that will fit inside the case?

Regards,

Michael

speshal

« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2018, 04:41 pm »
Seems like your best bet is to find a popular budget brand where people already know there are trade-offs for lower price, but the stock performance, engineering and chassis is good quality. 

If you pick too cheap a brand, you risk having to do too much and pricing yourself out of their budget. Plus, the performance level may be capped by them being too cheap in certain areas.

If you pick a too high dollar/high performance piece, then you risk diminishing returns and less improvement to be noted.

Personally, I'd look into modding Emotiva gear. There is tons of it out there and the existing performance is respectable... especially for the price.  Even a certain owner of big high end company admits to having Emotiva gear in his home theater system, and without naming names I've noted it in other esoteric Audiophiles systems too.

It might not be that hard to get a schematic from them which I'm sure if another important part of the equation.

modwright

« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2018, 04:46 pm »
Regarding the emotiva, I was interested, but then I talked to a custom who had two units with bad drives and his friend also had issues.  I won't modify something that I know does not have a good track record for reliability.

Yes, it has to be the right price/performance and build to be ideal for mods.

Thanks,

Dan.

modwright

« Reply #51 on: 21 May 2018, 04:49 pm »
RE the MP D2 DAC, I didn't respond about the use of 6H30 tubes.  The unit I have here is using 6922's and the customer wants to stick with them, so I am optimizing it based on that. If all units are the same, then I have to think that the 6H30 is also biased at a range that would not sound good for that tube, but I would have to test it with the tube that the customer prefers to use.

As for the VC, I am not really sure what type it is.  Space appears to allow for all but the biggest stepped attenuators.  Something such as a Goldpoint or DACT could fit. In that case, I would just ask that the customer send in the VC that they want installed and I would charge labor to do so.

Thanks,

Dan

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #52 on: 21 May 2018, 05:09 pm »
Dan,

I asked about VC because I have heard two differently modded MP-D2 DACs (different tubes and caps) that had the stock VC. I really like this DAC but it’s weakest point is the stock VC.

I don’t have much experience with VCs. My preamp uses a 64 step Khozmo. Would this fit inside?

Michael

modwright

« Reply #53 on: 21 May 2018, 05:38 pm »
I would need a depth dimension to be sure.

Dan

nature boy

« Reply #54 on: 21 May 2018, 06:15 pm »
TEAC designs👍.  Others are already modding with great success.  They have however delayed USA release of their latest DAC, the NT-505.

NB

modwright

« Reply #55 on: 21 May 2018, 08:00 pm »
Thanks, I will look into their offerings and see what we can do.

Dan

modwright

« Reply #56 on: 21 May 2018, 09:49 pm »
TEAC PD-501HR or NT-503 Mods?

It looks like a couple of options, but I have little experience with Teac products.

Input welcome.

Dan

Cheeseboy

« Reply #57 on: 21 May 2018, 10:19 pm »
How about the Benchmark 3? 
Lots todo there.  Headphone, pre amp, phono and DAC.  A better sounding Brookland.

Steve

nature boy

« Reply #58 on: 21 May 2018, 10:26 pm »
NT-503 is the one Dan.

NB

modwright

« Reply #59 on: 21 May 2018, 10:48 pm »
OK, the Benchmark 3 is a possibility, as is the TEAC 501.

I am looking for a product that is widely used and for which there is a good demand for a mod.

The Mytek DACs are also very interesting!

Thanks,

Dan