Battery (AA, NI-MH) Recommendations Please

Don_S

Battery (AA, NI-MH) Recommendations Please
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 09:47 pm »
My Sony camera came with two Japanese-made Sony batteries (2500mAh).  They are awesome batteries so I did not hesitate to purchase more.  I needed backup batteries so I bought a 4-pack of Sonys (again 2500mAh) from Amazon.  They were made in China and are absolutely horrible.  Useless garbage. Sony traded their brand reputation and quality for a larger profit margin. They also lost a customer--and not just for batteries.

Can anyone recommend some good camera batteries (AA, Ni-MH), preferably not made in China?

Thank you. I did a search but could not find a similar topic.

richidoo

Re: Battery (AA, NI-MH) Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:50 pm »
What you received may be counterfeit parts. Before returning them to Amazon, take them to a Sony camera dealer and show the difference. Ask if he can get you batteries like the old ones. I'd have more confidence in bhphoto than amazon.
Good luck

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:18 pm »
I have been having good luck with Tenergy and Sanyo Eneloop NiMH AAs. For a comprehensive survey of the AA landscape see these 2 threads at candlepower forums.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?298090-The-AA-NiMH-Performance-Test-Thread

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276446-Mapping-Battery-Performance-An-Intro-to-Ragone-Plots

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:49 pm »
richidoo,

I sent a "Howler" to Sony support.  Someone in their office in Laredo, Texas contacted me and asked me to send him the batteries for testing so I did.  I did not hear back from him or get the replacements he promised. Howler #2 followed.  He sent me a Chinese-made, 4-pack identical to what I had sent him and every bit as useless. I was hoping for a set from Japan.  :cry:

If I was going to go through the trouble to counterfeit batteries and use the Sony brand name I would also claim they were made in Japan.  :lol:

What you received may be counterfeit parts. Before returning them to Amazon, take them to a Sony camera dealer and show the difference. Ask if he can get you batteries like the old ones. I'd have more confidence in bhphoto than amazon.
Good luck

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm »
konut,

Thank you.  I will check out the links after I finish my taxes--almost done.  Refund will buy new shoes for my car and maybe enough left over for four batteries.  :D

Don_S

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:59 pm »
konut,

I noticed the Eneloops are only 2000mAh compared with other Sanyo batteries (not Eneloop) rated at 2700mAh. Do the Eneloops work in a camera and power up a flash in a reasonable time? Based on customer ratings on Amazon the Eneloop batteries have a much lower failure rate than their 2700mAh brother. FYI, I am using a Sony DSC-H5 with flash, not a monster DSLR or external flash.  The good batteries that came with the Camera are 2500mAh.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:19 pm »
I've bought a bunch of the AA Eneloops, and they seem to be much more reliable than other name brand batteries I've used.

konut

« Reply #7 on: 16 Mar 2011, 08:54 pm »
I don't know the definitive answer to that question. The Eneloops are recommended for cameras for their ability to hold and store a charge for a long time without discharge compared to others. This comes in handy when there is a significant period of time between uses that often occurs with a lot of consumers. As to speed of recycle between flashes, a higher amp hour battery might be a better option. I saw where Sanyo makes a 2700mah battery without the Eneloop technology which might be a better option if your priority is cycling speed.

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 16 Mar 2011, 09:14 pm »
konut,  I have mixed(up) priorities. Sometimes my camera sits for a couple of months and then I need it---NOW!.  That is what just happened to me and the batteries were dead. Other times I am at places like CES and need reasonable cycling time on the flash.

The 2700mAh Sanyos had many detractors.  They don't appear to be reliable. Quite the opposite for the 2000mAh Eneloops.  I am voting on the tortise and not the hare (especially dead ones) for dependability and eventually getting there.  I put some Eneloops in my Amazon cart for the next time I order some CDs and need to make the order $25 or more.

Thanks to you and Atlplasma for the recommendations.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 10:47 pm »
Found out Sanyo now offers a 2500mAh Eneloop battery in Europe.  Dubbed the "XX". It was introduced in December, 2010 and advertised as designed for "pro use". I emailed Sanyo to find out if (where) it is available in the USA.

http://www.eneloop.info/news-archive/news-archive/details-eneloop-news/ad/408/351.html

I also found out the pictures, specifictions, and product numbers on the Amazon products are for the old Eneloops, not the new, improved.  Not sure if the Amazon products are old or if the website in out of date. I am not talking about the new "XX".  I mean the 2000mAH model has an old and new version. I emailed Amazon.

konut

« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:00 pm »
Thanks for that update!  :thumb: FWIW, I picked up the original Eneloops a couple of years ago at Costco when they were selling a whole set with AAs, AAAs, and adapters to fit D and C cells, and a charger. Still going strong.

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:56 am »
Hey!

A while back I bought Sanyo 2700mah to use in my hot shoes mount flash for my DSLR and somehow they failed not long after I got them.  :?

But I've been having good luck with Sanyo 2500mah so far.... a few years with them now with my flash.

I also have 4 Eneloops 2000mah. The good thing about the Eneloops is that they do hold charge longer over time better than the normal Ni-Hm batts. With that I actually use those 4 Eneloops AA in my digital weight scale. Haven't try them in my flash yet.

With the Sanyo 2500mah Ni-Hm or any Ni-hm I have to remember to re-charge it after some storage time before I go out shooting. But from Don_S post the 2500mah Eneloop could be a lifesaver in case I forget to charge them before photo shoot.

I think Sanyo is the biggest Ni-Hm batts maker. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony also got some of their Ni-Hm batts from Sanyo.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb: