Bought 35 mm FILM Camera. What have I done?!

drphoto

Re: Bought 35 mm FILM Camera. What have I done?!
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:17 pm »
If anyone else wants to go film, I'll sell you a complete Hasselblad system for next to nothing. I'll give away my my Sinar 8x10 for the cost of shipping if you really want to go nuts!  :lol:

Oh...for the 35mm crowd, I have a Nikon 8008s in great shape, I think w/ even box and manual, which you can also have for shipping.

digital may not have completely won in the audio world, but it sure did in photography, at least on the pro side.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:32 pm »
Wow Doc, you could hook up a film noob with everything he needs.
One stop shopping.  :lol:

Bob

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 28 Dec 2010, 03:41 pm »
The one thing I miss about film is the discipline I had.  With digital I just thoughtlessly go about shooting pictures. With film I'd think about everything before snapping the shot, which resulted in a much higher keeper rate.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #23 on: 28 Dec 2010, 04:22 pm »
If anyone else wants to go film, I'll sell you a complete Hasselblad system for next to nothing. I'll give away my my Sinar 8x10 for the cost of shipping if you really want to go nuts!  :lol:

Oh...for the 35mm crowd, I have a Nikon 8008s in great shape, I think w/ even box and manual, which you can also have for shipping.

digital may not have completely won in the audio world, but it sure did in photography, at least on the pro side.

Sinar... wow. I messed around with one a little when I was in school (20+ years ago). Weren't there different lettered models (F, G, P)? I'm sure I have the letters wrong.

+1 on the death of film for the pro side. I did movie stuff mostly. There is so much pro-sumer stuff that works just fine, and a RED is just not that expensive, especially when you figure in how much you no longer have to do.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:09 pm »
The one thing I miss about film is the discipline I had.  With digital I just thoughtlessly go about shooting pictures. With film I'd think about everything before snapping the shot, which resulted in a much higher keeper rate.

Yep.  Me, too.   :oops:

Jon L

« Reply #25 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:30 pm »

It's kind of sad that most young people today and beyond will never experience stretching open a roll of film into a camera.  It's also sad to see all these film cameras with amazing build quality listed on ebay for $20-30 and still not selling    :oops:

nathanm

« Reply #26 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:48 pm »
Maybe, but how many of us have had the experience of making a wet plate photo for instance?  There's only so much old world charm one can take before it becomes a burden and newer and more convenient technology just plain makes sense.  Today we have the luxury of mixing old and new stuff to get exactly what we like.

Delta Wave

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2010, 05:54 pm »
I have never stopped shooting film. I do black and white using only natural light and Ilford XP-2 - a 400 ASA film that is developed using E-6 processing. It enlarges to 16x20 with little grain. The easy part is to get the film developed at a pro lab. The harder part is to get quality enlargements. (I do not like darkroom work.) My hobby has outlived two custom B&W labs in the Washington, DC area. My current compromise is to have the negatives scanned and then made into digital prints. Low resolution scans are suitable for the digital equivalent of proofs and posting on the web. High resolution scans are needed for 16x20 enlargements.

I'm right there with you man, I prefer film. Too many variables that can go wrong with digital. And unless you can afford a good camera with a full frame sensor you're not going to get anywhere close to film quality. The ONLY reason I have a DSLR is for shooting bands and doing headshots for actors where I need a quick, cheap turn-around.

I develop my own film in my bathroom which is extremely easy, just time consuming and I scan all of my negatives or positives in ultra-high resolution... each image I decide to keep is usually about 500Mb give or take a few hundred. HD space is not an issue, I catalog each session or client on a DVD and I still have the negatives and slides.

Here's a good article you all my enjoy, which are you?

http://www.paulburwell.com/blog/2010/09/top-ten-ways-to-separate-the-cameraists-from-the-photographers/

Charles Calkins

« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2010, 06:32 pm »
I bought a Canon EOS 650 brand new in 1987. It has auto focus mode which I use all the time. If I want to take "GOOD" pictures I use it. For just run of the mill pictures I use a Kodak digital camera.
Should I decide to upgrade to a digital SLR camera it will be a Canon because the lenses I have will fit. But a new digital Canon costs about $800.00. I can buy a lot of 35mm film and have it developed for that price.

Cheers
                                        Charlie

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #29 on: 28 Dec 2010, 06:36 pm »
It's also sad to see all these film cameras with amazing build quality listed on ebay for $20-30 and still not selling    :oops:
Yes. I've got an old 35mm Pentax that's in perfect shape. I don't even think it has a scratch on it.
I'll take it with me to my grave before I put it on Ebay for $15 with free shipping.  :nono:
Too many happy memories to do that. It's worth more sitting in its bag at the bottom of my closet. Still brings a smile to my face to take it out and play with it every once in a while.

Bob

Mike Nomad

« Reply #30 on: 28 Dec 2010, 10:22 pm »
Maybe, but how many of us have had the experience of making a wet plate photo for instance?  There's only so much old world charm one can take before it becomes a burden and newer and more convenient technology just plain makes sense.  Today we have the luxury of mixing old and new stuff to get exactly what we like.

"Old World Charm" is a nice summation. When I shot film stills, I used Kodak 2475 Recording Film. Experimenting with pushing, 'cold' light enlargers, and paper stocks was a lot of fun, and I got some great images. I loved what I could get out of that film.

However, I don't miss the darkroom experience enough to go back to it. I can get 95%+ of what I want in the digital domain. The headspace is the same: Ansel Adams dodged and burned, and I manipulate faders in whatever application I happen to be using. Paper stock is still a variable to contend with, and I still shoot like I have one roll of 36 exp. to my name.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 28 Dec 2010, 11:37 pm »
I don't miss the darkroom experience enough to go back to it.

I hear you.  Developing prints was too challenging and cumbersome for me.  I really sucked so it never was a pleasant experience for me.  Processing slides on the other hand was a piece of cake and I always got excellent results.

Speaking of slides, I'm meeting with a retired professional photographer worked for a number of years on Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau's staff.  He went with him everywhere on daily basis and met every world leader during the 70's.  This man has the most fascinating behind the scene stories imaginable.  Anyhow he has 22 carousels of slides he wants me to help him convert to digital, so that's what I'm doing to night.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #32 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:04 am »
I'm meeting with a retired professional photographer worked for a number of years on Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau's staff.  He went with him everywhere on daily basis and met every world leader during the 70's.  This man has the most fascinating behind the scene stories imaginable.  Anyhow he has 22 carousels of slides he wants me to help him convert to digital, so that's what I'm doing to night.

Congrats. That's a great way to spend an evening.

denjo

« Reply #33 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:21 am »
Although I still own analog cameras (Nikon F2AS & F4S), I have been dabbling in digital photography more often these days! The main advantage for me is the ability to view the shot almost immediately after it is taken with a digital camera rather than to have to wait until the 35 mm film has been processed which usually is a couple of days later! 

Taking photographs with an analog camera is like listening to a tube audio system! It is an emotional experience which connects the photographer with his tool, the camera!

Mike Nomad

« Reply #34 on: 29 Dec 2010, 12:32 am »
Although I still own analog cameras (Nikon F2AS & F4S), I have been dabbling in digital photography more often these days! The main advantage for me is the ability to view the shot almost immediately after it is taken with a digital camera rather than to have to wait until the 35 mm film has been processed which usually is a couple of days later! 

Taking photographs with an analog camera is like listening to a tube audio system! It is an emotional experience which connects the photographer with his tool, the camera!

Nice and accurate sentiment re: the emotional experience/appeal. In the spirit of your comment, I am offer the following tweak: Looking at photos created from a film camera is like listening to music through a tube amp. Creating photos with a film camera is like sourcing the music via a turntable.

Jon L

« Reply #35 on: 29 Dec 2010, 08:21 pm »
My Canon EOS-1V HS has finally arrived.  Man, this sucker is HEAVY and built like a lead brick.

Need to do some comparisons bet. EOS-3 and EOS-1V before deciding which one I'm keeping. I'm hoping EOS-3 will be good enough, since EOS-1V HS will fetch far more money on the used market..

Delta Wave

« Reply #36 on: 30 Dec 2010, 07:05 am »
Need to order some film soon 

I need a color print film that I'll use mostly for people indoors (likely will need higher ISO than 50, 100) that won't overly soften the photo.  It also should take good nature/landscape occasionally, but perhaps not as saturated as Velvia 50.  Finding this kind of film from on-line chatter has been difficult but considering Kodak Supra 400, Fuji Superia 400, Kodak High Definition (Royal Gold?) 200, Kodak Portra 160 VC (too soft for nature?), etc

Not too concerned about grain with higher ISO film since I won't be making large prints.

There's also the consideration that my local Costco needs to be able to develop/scan this film half-way decent.

The Fuji Reala Superia stuff is exceptionally nice. And if you like B&W the Ilford stuff is hard to beat.

Jon L

« Reply #37 on: 30 Dec 2010, 07:54 pm »

Canon EOS-1V HS, EOS-3, and T2i (aka "Mine is Bigger Than Yours")

Beautiful cameras!

Delta Wave

« Reply #38 on: 30 Dec 2010, 09:13 pm »

Canon EOS-1V HS, EOS-3, and T2i (aka "Mine is Bigger Than Yours")

Beautiful cameras!

Nice! Nice lens on the eos-1, what is that, a 1.2?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 30 Dec 2010, 11:20 pm »
Wow... those are massive!  Even the T2i is big compared to my DSLRs.  But I don't live in a BIG house, so my cameras have to be small. :lol: