Bargain Nikon lens shootout - how to?

JohnR

Bargain Nikon lens shootout - how to?
« on: 24 Nov 2008, 09:43 am »
A while back I posted about trying out some bargain lenses. First, though, let me just say that for those who automatically equate "bargain" with "junk" that is not the point of this thread.

This is not a thread about junk lenses.

OK, for those left ;), how do you think I should go about showing/seeing what these lenses are capable of? All up, I have about 12 primes of varying levels of cost ranging from $43 to just under $1k. One thought was to pick a scene and take shots with every lens. Kinda boring? Maybe a better approach would be to just take them all out and take whatever shots I found interesting, and then post a "challenge" to see who could tell which were taken with the "cheap" lenses?

This is sort of a project over the Christmas break.

For those wondering what I'm smoking, here is the point. Nikon, bless them, used to make lenses in a range of maximum apertures. A 50mm lens came in f/1.2, f/1.4, f/1.8, and f/2.0 versions. A 135mm lens came in f/2.0, f/2.8, and f/3.5 versions, as did the 28s. On the used market, the price difference between the fastest and the slowest versions of these lenses is dramatic i.e. a factor of ten times seems to be typical.

Apart from the speed difference, what's wrong with the slow lenses? Nothing. The optical quality of the different lenses varies and isn't necessarily tied to the max aperture on that lens! So some of the "slow" lenses are considered optical gems by many.

The other thing to note is that I'm talking about AI lenses, made back in the day when Nikon made all their lenses to the same high standard. This is not plastic junk we're talking about, it's built to last.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Bargain Nikon lens shootout - how to?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2008, 01:45 pm »
Good idea, but be aware some of the lenses that came in multiple aperture options performed poorly wide open (i.e., 1.2) got much better when closed down.  For that reason I doubt anyone is going so see any differences, especially on a computer screen, and even more so if random shots are posted (various subjects, distances, lighting, apertures, etc.).  Depending on the vintage and manufacturer, some of the extremely fast lenses were crappy wide open, but it was a trade off of speed for quality.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:07 am »
Well, the manufacturer is Nikon except for one, and they are all AI or AIS lenses. Oh, except for one which is brand new :)

I guess this is the opposite to the "lens lust" thread. I thought it would be interesting to illustrate that - if you do your research - you can get great results without spending lots of dough on the latest fanciest lens. Just not sure the best way to make the point though...

WerTicus

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:28 am »
photos of trees on the edges of the image against a bright sky will show results :)

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:23 pm »
You mentioned 'plastic junk'. Back in the 80s, Nikon made the low cost E-series lenses, which had plastic barrels. The optics, however were suprisingly good.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2008, 12:47 pm »
So........ are you having so much fun with the new lenses you forgot to show us the results?   :wink:

Bob

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2008, 10:01 am »
Yeah I guess... :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2008, 11:00 am »
[More later]
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2008, 12:37 pm by JohnR »

JohnR

Fifty-dollar fifty
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:36 pm »
Well, I've decided to do what I always do, and just take some pictures with them and see how I like them. First up is the "fifty-dollar fifty," a Nikkor 50mm f/2 AI that actually cost a whopping $43 from keh.com. I took it out for a bit of a walk late this afternoon. This is a very easy lens to get along with, it's easy to take good shots with it, and the images look good to me and are easy to work with. Some pixel peeping earlier in the day indicated to my inexpert eyes that by f/4 it's sharp into the corners. Bokeh is pretty good too. Verdict: at this price, it's hard to see how you could go wrong.

The pictures are generated from the out-of-camera JPEGs. I'm still tweaking my automated JPEG workflow, so let me know if you see any consistent issues with these.

More here, with EXIF data as well:

http://www.lostupnorth.net/miscellaneous/fiftydollarfifty/

JohnR