ooheadsoo

Re: SP Technology on Stereophile!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:27 am »
Alright, that's a great achievement!

Karsten

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:37 am »
Nice to see the attention :)

One comment to the room though, I ditched rice paper lamps in the listening room a long time ago, as they were singing along with the music...

Karsten

spence

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2008, 12:50 pm »
I'm also glad to see SP Tech get some attention. I have to admit though that I'm confused as to why they wouldn't display a beautiful pair of wood finished speakers instead of, well.......black? I would think that  people would prefer a speaker with a classier finish and nothing beats an attention getter. Unfortunately there are lots of folks who place looks above sound. SP Tech has both so why not use that to their advantage? Just my opinion.

Albireo

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:19 pm »
I'm also glad to see SP Tech get some attention. I have to admit though that I'm confused as to why they wouldn't display a beautiful pair of wood finished speakers instead of, well.......black? I would think that  people would prefer a speaker with a classier finish and nothing beats an attention getter. Unfortunately there are lots of folks who place looks above sound. SP Tech has both so why not use that to their advantage? Just my opinion.

It sounded like it was a minor miracle just to get a pair of Revelations to the show (thanks Rod!) but here is the bigger question: how many non-black Revelations are out there in the first place? Moreover, if Bob was at the point where he could spin out a wood-finish pair of Revelations just for demo purposes, we wouldn't be waiting months for our speakers now would we?!

Besides, Tim's fantastic pair of all-cherry Minis were being rotated in as well, and they stood proudly by the door when they weren't playing music. I think most people would have understood the craftsmenship that would be available if desired.

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:48 pm »

It sounded like it was a minor miracle just to get a pair of Revelations to the show (thanks Rod!) but here is the bigger question: how many non-black Revelations are out there in the first place? Moreover, if Bob was at the point where he could spin out a wood-finish pair of Revelations just for demo purposes, we wouldn't be waiting months for our speakers now would we?!

Besides, Tim's fantastic pair of all-cherry Minis were being rotated in as well, and they stood proudly by the door when they weren't playing music. I think most people would have understood the craftsmenship that would be available if desired.

They are the flagship... and lucky they were there. I hope their is a wood baffle version of the Revs too.
I have yet to hear anything bigger than the TP 2.0s.
Mike

spence

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:11 pm »
Let's not forget that age old saying "out of sight, out of mind".  I can tend to be nit-picky on a lot of things, but I still think a manufacturer would be better off displaying all the bells and whistles they can when marketing a product. I wonder why there wasn't a pair of 3.0s there too. The price/performance of those speakers is staggering.

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:15 pm »
 :D  wood finish would have been waaaaayyyyy----better on the big Revs. :D

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:45 pm »
Thanks to Rod (yes, black Revs), Tim (cherry Mini's), and especially Mike (TweekGeek) as well as a few dedicated SP owners, Bob got what he really needed.  That is, exposure of a couple of his designs, to a LOT of people who had never heard of them or what they're capable of.  I don't know the details of the arrangement, but I suspect without Mike and Rod, there would have been no show at all for Bob which would be a real shame.

The associated gear was top notch with the Modwright, Spectrons, and cabling from Mike.  Several SP owners also worked really hard to keep them singing their best in the usual challenging show conditions.  Past years have not been so good and this year was clearly much better.  While TP3.0's and veneered Revs would have been nice, I imagine rotating the two they already had in that small room was a constant challenge.  As expected, the Rev's acquitted themselves very well sonically without having to rely on any bling.  There was definitely a lot of positive response, basic black and all.

Great job guys!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2008, 11:49 pm »
here's the complete mention in context:
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008/

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2008, 10:23 am »
Nice to see the attention :)

One comment to the room though, I ditched rice paper lamps in the listening room a long time ago, as they were singing along with the music...

Karsten

Karsten - you need to update your signature in accordance with our guidelines. Please read your PMs.

Thx

JohnR

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2008, 09:03 am »
From the Stereo Mojo RMAF report....good photo... :thumb:

The Rev and the Mini.... :wink:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 22 Oct 2008, 10:48 pm »
Chris-  Wonder if that was Marsalis' "Feeling of Jazz"?  You slip that in there?  Thanks, Russ, for the photos and text.

Frank S.

« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2008, 11:19 pm »
Nope- that was my cut. Great song- Green Chimneys off of-

It sounded awesome  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:54 am »
Thanks, Frank.  Believe I'll ease over to Amazon.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #15 on: 23 Oct 2008, 11:33 am »
Frank's demo discs were quite good all around.  He gave me a copy of one of them and I've incorporated it into my rotation.   :thumb:

Thanks again Frank for your help and generosity.