Apple Mac mini system descriptions

low.pfile

Apple Mac mini system descriptions
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 12:37 am »

How is your Apple Mac mini set up as a music server or part of a digital music system?  Let's see your configuration whether you have a straight forward mac mini to integrated amp to bookshelfs or you have the mac mini connected to an external hard drive and connected into a distributed network to many systems. Please provide brands and models of the specific hardware, cabling, etc. used:

My Mac Mini Audio System Description:

• Mac mini processor model:
  • Operating system version:
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):
  • Internal memory installed:

• Monitor/keyboard:
  • Wireless hardware:
  • Software music player(s):
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):
  • Pre amplifier:
  • External DAC:
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:
  • Speakers in this system:
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X:
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?
d. Other comments:

low.pfile

Re: Apple Mac mini system descriptions
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2008, 12:38 am »

• Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):

• Monitor/keyboard:
  • Wireless hardware:

• Pre amplifier:
  • External DAC:

b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?
d. Other comments:

low.pfile

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2008, 12:42 am »
To fill out the form just click the "QUOTE" button (on the right) of Reply #1 and delete these two lines:

[ q u o t e author=xxxx link=topic=51326.msg459813#msg459813 date=1203640641]
and
[/q u o t e]

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:14 pm »
Come on, folks. No Mini users out there?

avta

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:51 am »

How is your Apple Mac mini set up as a music server or part of a digital music system?  Let's see your configuration whether you have a straight forward mac mini to integrated amp to bookshelves or you have the mac mini connected to an external hard drive and connected into a distributed network to many systems. Please provide brands and models of the specific hardware, cabling, etc. used:

G4
OSX 10.4.11
External 160 gig
1 gig
[/list]

• Monitor/keyboard:
Samsung 17"/ Apple
  • Wireless hardware:
Netgear Rangemax
Squeezebox 2 not modded
None

Nuforce 9.02 V2 Solid State amp
  • Pre amplifier:
Nuforce P8 Solid State
  • External DAC:
Benchmark 1 not usb
None
Magnepan 1.6
Blue Jeans/Synergistic Research
Living Room

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? Nothing
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Nothing
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ? Excellent sound quality for the money.
d. Other comments: I now listen exclusively to music files ( FLAC )

[/quote]

low.pfile

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2008, 05:20 am »
cool atva!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2008, 08:09 am »
Why just the Mac Mini?

moved to the right thread

dave
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2008, 05:10 pm by planet10 »

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2008, 08:49 am »

The question asked of me a couple of times: Why is this thread only a list of Mac mini's?

My answer:
I am curious about the implementions/integration of a compact, displayless mac into an audio system. My feeling is that macbooks, ibooks, and iMacs all have displays and are mostly portable and therefore will always appear to be a computer connected to a stereo. I've heard references to stand alone mac minis integrated into audio systems and want to know more specifics, customization, issues, etc. 

Additionally, often here on AC the mac mini is recommended to those considering their first digital music server, so I thought this list would be a good starting point for them.  And lastly, I currently have a PowerMac G5 as the core of a music server but am considering what to get next due to potential housing changes or just to downsize. I also have a macbook pro which could be used as a server/player as well. Though currently, it only serves as a very heavy remote control for my G5 running iTunes in the other room.

I hope that explains my reasoning for this thread. I hope to see more member's mac mini descriptions.

enjoy your music, ed

low.pfile

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2008, 08:53 am »
And I hope we can get the formating of the replys cleaned up a little. Maybe my bullet list wasn't the best idea? anyway I suggest to future posters: just make it an easily readable list.

ed

Bemopti123

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2008, 03:39 pm »

• Mac mini G4 1.42 mhz
  • OWC Microstack V2 500 GB bootable external as main drive(stand alone or RAID):
  • 1GB DDR replacement for the original 512 MB

• Original wireless Apple keyboard frost white
  • N/A
  • Itunes
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini

• Naim Headline 2 with optional external power supply NAPS? or any other preamp to amplifier that I choose for the moment
  • First Sound Paramount MK II HotRod
  • Headroom Micro DAC MKI (2006-07)
  • Different standard cables
  • AKG-701K headphone to Headlineor if using standard amps:  Neat Motive 3 or Gershman X-1 or Lowther PM6CA in JE Labs OB or another choicesystem:
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and DAC, standard USB
  • Location of the mac mini listening room, office

a. If applicable, I added a ASUS 802.11g wireless adapter instead of the standard Airport to improve reception from router in the basement...Airport sometimes has poor signal retrieval and in some cases, provokes several errors disrupting internet signals from router.  This can happen with both older G4 and newer Intel chip models.  When encountering with dropped signals, the best solution is the adapter I have installed.  Perhaps there is a software glitch with the Airport that is used in Mac models.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini a more robust dedicated GPU, for better gaming performance instead of the cheapened integrated Intel solution.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU reliability for most processes, meaning music, photo and other functions.  Beat that with a Windows XP or Vista machine. 
d. Other comments:  The mini that I have has been a surprise since I first bought it almost 3 years ago. 

kbuzz3

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:01 pm »
i think this is a great thread. Partiuclarly for those of us contemplating the move to cpu audio.  For me like the OP, id prefer to use a mac min plus hard drive but the display issue is a factor. another is of course the the mac to flac rip. but from other recent posts it seems there is software out there to do this.
whether is plug n play thats another story.

id love to hear from those with mac minis, storage and mini remotes, either tablets or itouches. Again this also raises significant cost issues as opposed to a pc tower with two external drives which could be had for say less then 800 bucks easily.

Bemopti123

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2008, 04:44 pm »
Kbuzz, I also considered the cost of owing a Mini in terms of what can be had in hardware with a Windows machine.  Perhaps I should expound why I wind up getting my Mini to begin with.  3 years ago my Windows Dell P4 1.66 Mhz with 512 Mb and upgraded video card became notoriously unreliable.  By then I have had it for about 2+ years and when OS software upgrades came, it stopped recognizing even such mundane things such as my digital camera, driverless USB media readers, my all in one printer, scanner and other things.  Furthermore, the HD went south.  At that time, the Mini came out.  The beginning price seemed quite affordable, but when you began to stack the options for it, mine I paid almost $1100 for it with all the necessary upgrades. 

The computer at that point became as oxymoron to the term "mini", it was only mini in size but not in $$$.  I thought about using it primarily for photos and music and use the Windows machine for other more CPU intensive purposes... FF, today, after 3 years, it has become the main computer at home for me.  It does 95% of the things I need for everyday needs just fine.  The Windows machine is gathering dust, being cranked up once in a while...with parts of it failing, for not being used often. 

Yes, in terms of price to performance ratio or "goodies" that are included in the package, it cannot compete with other vendors.  BUt...  for me, $$$ spent in the hardware that comes with the Mini was much better put together.  Hardly none of the hardware that came with it failed, the OS, even though it is not Tiger or Leopard, it more than functional.   I guess that instead of going for the biggest, ballsiest hardware machine that one can get for the $$$ spent, the Mini goes for something else, reliability and ease of use come to mind. 

I will be forced to spend more $$$ on a dedicated gaming PC when StarCraft 2 comes out...but whether that would be money well spent it questionable. 

Check what people are doing with their Mac Minis in 123Macmini.com.  You will be surprised. 

davidcotton

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2008, 07:03 pm »
I'm basically using a mac mini as the main computer to run slimserver.  Attached to the mini is a 320 gig usb harddrive with the vast majority of the files being flac. The advantage of running the mini is that it's going to be awhile before the software outstrips its capabilites.  Already the slim software is struggling to be put on the nas (which wasn't great to start with tbh!) that I used to run.
 It's being run headless at the moment in the bedroom (not a problem as I don't buy cds that often).  In the near future I plan to get a Itouch and remote buddy installed on the mini.  This along with Ipeng (a dedicated Itouch/iphone skin for slimserver)should allow me to control the mac without it being hooked up.  I do plan on eventually hooking the mac up to the tv but as I'm thinking about upgrading from crt to lcd that side can wait for a bit.

My current system is

Marantz 66 KI Signature amp, Squeezebox 3 into a modded m-audio 2496 dac with mission 780 speakers.

Experiences have been great.  Nice and quiet, reliable just sits there and gets on with the job!

kbuzz3

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2008, 08:23 pm »
david and folks, thanks for the response. In the event one wants to run a mac mini headless, can someone link me to a post or site they of, which shows how to set it up initially with a squeezebox.  Or does one just plug it into their router and turn on the SB?

Also how do you rip when its headless?

thanks

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:31 am »
You can use VNC to run a remote desktop from another computer. I haven't done it in a while - I've been meaning to look into how well this works these days, I'll look around and start another thread with what I find.

ecruz

« Reply #15 on: 2 Mar 2008, 12:18 pm »
      Not sure if this is what you're looking for, since my Mini is connected to a Slim Devices Squeezebox 3, but here's the system

2.0Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
      10.4.x
      2 External 500Gb LaCie's
      1Gb

• Monitor/keyboard:
    Samsung 19"
    • Wireless hardware:
    Squeezebox

SS PS Audio HCA-2 (modded)
    • Pre amplifier:
    TacT Audio RCS 2.0, pre-amp/DAC running room correction
    • External DAC:
    See above
    Bolder Modded Squeezebox3, connected via ethernet to the Mini, digital out from the SB3 to the TacT pre/DAC
    Vandersteen 3A
    Ethernet to the SB3, Blue Jeans digital cable from SB3 to the TacT
    Mac Mini is in another room of the house

c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? Sound quality
d. Other comments:

« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2008, 02:46 pm by ecruz »

jaywills

« Reply #16 on: 2 Mar 2008, 02:13 pm »

Mac mini processor model:  G4, 1.42
Operating system version:  Tiger 10.4.11
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  Both, 80 gb internal (Apple), 250 gb external (Seagate in ministack v.2 enclosure (firewire).
Internal memory installed:  1 gb

Monitor/keyboard: Samsung Syncmaster 225bw, Apple
Wireless hardware: N/A
Software music player(s): Squeezebox via ethernet (iTunes, Apple lossless)
Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): N/A

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Homebrew Hypex UcD 400, Gallo Ref. 3 SA (both Class D solid state).
Pre amplifier:  Melos SHA Gold Ref. Maestro (Amperex NOS tubes from late '50's).
External DAC:  TacT 2.2x (Maui mods).
Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:  Mini>(ethernet)>Squeezebox>(S/PDIF-Element Cable)>TacT 2.2x(room correction/DAC only)>(RCA's-Nordost)>Melos pre>(RCA's-Nordost)>Amps described above>(Yardmaster homebrew cables)>Gallo Ref. 3.1's.
Speakers in this system:  Gallo Ref. 3.1's.
Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Ethernet, Nordost, Yardmaster.
Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  In listening room.

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?  Maxed ram, Homebrew amp-parts sourced from DIYCable.com (no affiliation) w/all mfr suggested mods, Welborne power supply for Squeezebox (no affiliation), vibration/isolation tweeks, magnet chokes on source signal cables.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Easier DIY installation of larger hard drives, more ram capacity.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?  Depends on the moment.
d. Other comments:  Quiet, stable listening system.

low.pfile

« Reply #17 on: 2 Mar 2008, 04:09 pm »

Thanks for the post folks!!

K.C.

« Reply #18 on: 23 Mar 2008, 06:31 am »

2Ghz Duo

Internal - Factory 120Gb, External 500GB FW
3GB
[/list]

• Monitor/keyboard:

Neither, control by screen sharing.
Peak Pro 5.2.1 and iTunes.
Back to my Mac via mac.com
[/list]

Pathos Classic one II, Quicksilver Silver 60s, Music Reference RM9, Threshold S200
  • Pre amplifier:
None, passive through DAC-1 unless using the Pathos integrated
  • External DAC:
Benchmark DAC-1 USB
Paradigm Signature 2
Audioquest Optical
On audio rack
[/list]

melomaniac

« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2008, 04:56 pm »

• Mac mini processor model: 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
  • Operating system version: 10.5.2
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): 80GB internal, 2 x 500GB external
  • Internal memory installed: 2GB

• Monitor/keyboard: both Apple wireless
  • Wireless hardware: n/a
  • Software music player(s): iTunes, VLC, Cog
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini: n/a

• Amplifier, and type: Outlaw RR2150 (built-in USB)
  • Pre amplifier: n/a
  • External DAC: n/a
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: n/a
  • Speakers in this system: Magnepan MMG
  • Interconnect types: USB cable to amp, Paul Speltz anticables to Maggies
  • Location of the mac mini: listening area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? Hm... external drives?
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could? Processor upgrade
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment?
d. Other comments: One of the external drives is a bit noisy...