DIY lighting question

analog97

DIY lighting question
« on: 14 Nov 2007, 11:20 pm »
I am trying to make a deluxe face-plate for building JH's Bugle and power supply into a beautiful oak case.  I want to make 3 slits in the front panel, say 1/8" wide by 1" long.  I want to illuminate them with LED's, but I want the lighting to look "even".  Does anyone know of an LED-type device that will accomplish this?  Is there something like a small, tubular LED?  I looked around and struck out.  TIA for any thoughts.

tubesforever

Re: DIY lighting question
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2007, 01:38 am »
On my projects I basically build a reflector like a flashlight would use.  Sometimes slightly scuffing the clear lens helps make a more even defuse look.  LED's can be extreme eye candy if well executed.  Once I have the reflector shape I require I often just use the shiny side of aluminum foil and glue it down.

Cheers!

randytsuch

« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2007, 03:41 am »
They use the stuff in this link for gaming PC cases.
http://www.crazypc.com/products/casemods/lighting.htm?gclid=CLG8rY343Y8CFRQ_hgodbwW12w

They are longer than you slits, but I am not sure how you are going to arrange the slits.  I think you can "hide" the extra length inside your case.

Randy

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2007, 05:02 am »
Maybe an LCD backlight?  I'd probably try a piece of diffused plastic.

jh

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2007, 10:33 am »
Look into LED footlights that many new hospitals/nursing homes are using.  They provide a 1 x 3 inch even light source and fit into a standard electrical box (might still be bigger/brighter than you had in mind).

Another idea is simply playing with arylic prismatic diffusers (cheap lenses used on overhead fluorescent lighting).  Possibly a 2nd layer of opaque/translucent lens material to get the exact effect you're after.

dnewman

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2007, 04:08 pm »
If the slits are just for looks and not to allow the enclosure to breath, AND
if you like BLUE/green, there's always electroluminescent strip lighting.  Perhaps
you've seen them in those flat, flush nightlights?  Very low current draw and run
directly off of 120 or 230V.  By their nature, it's a uniform lighting and not harsh
to look at.

They do come in other colors.  Can often get free samples from the various
manufacturers.  Ones I got a few years back as samples were approximately
1 x 3" (and ~1/32" thick).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescence for a brief
article on the stuff.

Dan

analog97

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:33 am »
Thanks very much to all.  It seems the choice is to either to use a plastic "diffuser" covering a standard LED or to get that electroluminescent strip lighting recommended by Dan.  I will have to look for that device.  Thanks again, all. :D