HT8 Construction has begun

RAW

Re: HT8 Construction has begun
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2007, 06:02 pm »
Well Phil and Adam things are looking very good  :thumb:well done.
Now the ribbon terminals.
When looking at the rear of the ribbon with the terminals to the top as you view them from behind the right terminal is positive.

Most ribbons come un market from the factory but have the crimp terminals attached (not shown in the photo from Aurum Cantus) with the red crimp terminal on the right as noted and a blue crimp on the left side.

If you even take off both as this sounds like what happened here :wink: the red is right.

All the best for you both.

PhilG

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jan 2007, 06:39 am »
Okay, build complete from my side, Adam is to arrange final auto spray job.

I'm sure Adam will post his full impressions of these speakers once he gets them home on Saturday and does some extensive listening.

So all I'll add is these are excellent speakers and well worth the kit prices.

Cheers - Phil

Nick V

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jan 2007, 06:48 am »
How do they compare with those Seas MTM's?

PhilG

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2007, 09:43 am »
How do they compare with those Seas MTM's?

Nick; sorry to be a “wet” but this isn’t my thread and I have been paid to build these speakers. So I don’t think I should publicly comment in details about someone’s commission. 

The intent of my posts has been to show the amount of work and how the cabinets etc were actually built for anyone else wanting to do the same.

If you are interested in the Seas Thor TL’s see - http://www.greenie512.net/greenie512/html/thor_tls.html

Al Garay

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2007, 12:13 am »
Your picture is worth more than a thousand words.

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
HT8's complete! (just need paint)
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jan 2007, 11:04 pm »
So... they're done!   Well.. almost, they need to be painted.  I'm going to listen to them for a while first.

First off, my thanks for Phil the speaker builder, for his craftsmanship.  They turned out great.

Important notes i'd like to share:
Check your crossovers. Triple check them.  After these were glued together and i got them home, i realized something was amiss with one channel. One tweeter wasn't quite as bright as it should have been. Subtle, but incorrect.  After taking all the drivers out and tracing the circuit with a flashlight in a myriad of contorted poses to work through one of the holes from the extremis, i found the issue. One bad connection. It was lucky the crossover was somewhat visible through the speaker hole.

They're heavy!  With the vibration absorption material + some extra Dynamat put inside, these suckers are HEAVY.  Knock hard on one side though, no reverberation, just a solid "DOK" sound :)   Try that on some speakers at your local audio store and compare how boxy many will sound.

They sound great! Risking cliche, i'm listening to my records and CD's 'again for the first time'.  It's amazing to hear variance in recording quality between albums.  I'm a part time studio engineer hobbyist and know a little bit about recording and microphones, and it's great fun to go through tracks with the HT8's and really deconstruct what's going on.  Checkout the Mutations album from Beck.  Recorded 24 bit 96Khz.  It's a really smooth album with a lot of acoustic instruments. Fantastic recording. 

Even though they're not broken in yet, the HT8's sound great at very low volumes.  I live in an apartment, and this is a requirement.  Last night they were playing at conversational volumes and the response felt very even.  Massive bass even down to a whisper. That feels strange indeed.  Deep, full, solid, not boomy whatsoever bass, at all volumes. Cool.

The positioning and room aren't ideal, but it's not bad.  Ideally they'd have a bit more to breathe, but these are the consequences and realities of life.  I have the extremis bass drivers pointing inward, because i do not need any more bass in this small room!!

What's next?  Finish the GB150 amps (which are also DIY), they're almost done.  I'm currently playing the HT8's through a pair of 18 watt SET KT88 tube monoblocks, and it's a great match but not headbanger volume capable.  Still more than enough to get complaints from the neighbors.  Have some locals over for a listen, once the GB150's are complete.  Paint them.

Yes, that's vinyl on the table.

More shots here:
http://www.robotbreeder.com/photography/v/projects/RAWHT8/

Thanks Phil and Al.  Much enjoyment here.
Cheers,
/A