first meeting of the norcal club

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: first meeting of the norcal club
« Reply #20 on: 23 Oct 2006, 05:11 pm »
I tossed/gave away a lot of stuff like the Weber because of the move. 

The rental barbecue is 2' x 5', may be overkill but I'll pick it up unless there's another idea.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2006, 07:57 pm »
Mornings best for me...I try to spell my wife in child-rearing duties in the afternoons, or spend time together as family.  I'd like to be outta' there by 1PM-ish if I can.

What are we listening to...gearwise, musicwise?  I hope to have my vintage (tube) Dukane 50 watters repaired by then....they were lovely for a time when they worked.

Anybody want to to hear the overachieving $50 mummified JVC turntable or $200.00 Linaeum speakers?  Ooogy good imaging on the Linaeums for fans of this  :)

Berndt

« Reply #22 on: 29 Oct 2006, 11:09 pm »
Can't wait.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 30 Oct 2006, 09:51 pm »
1. What time?

2. Who's in?  Need number for food...

3. I gots no barbecue...I could pick one up at HD or somewhere...Talk to me people...heard the weather might be cloudy...fiberglass shade in the yard...

4. Brian Cheney from VMPS offered to come & I'd like him to hear the sound here before I move.  Drop me a PM to share feedback on the subject of his visiting our meeting. 

5. What kind of food should I personally prep?

I'd still love to compare a hard-drive based CD to my TRL, but if we do no comparos & just listen it's fine...I'm open to either way.  Many recent signficant tweeks have about doubled the system's resolution since BrunoB & Grant visited.

Shoot me a pm for my address...

I'd like to hear the Lineums.  TT is ok too if we have time.

« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2006, 02:00 am by RibbonSpeakers.net »

Berndt

« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2006, 12:04 am »
Jimbo, I am thinking about an 11am start time?
There is no chance the musica will stand up to a modded sacd player, IMHO.
I'll bring a snack tray and if we get dug in we could order out? I don't want to impose on you more than we already are.
Is there a malty beverage you prefer?
Bill

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 31 Oct 2006, 01:59 am »
Hmmmmmmm....

I'll have pesto pennini (sp?) on hand: turkey, gorgonzola, tomato & pesto on grilled sourdough.  Is anyone lactose intolerant? 

Anything amber light sounds good...

ANYONE FORGETING OR NEGLECTING TO BRING A FEW FAVORITE CD'S IS SUBJECT TO REVOCATION OF CLUB MEMBERSHIP!

So far:

Jim R.
Bill B.
John chairperson
Brian
Jim H (friend)

5 current total.

John- if OK please bring 2 mid-height folding chairs.  Will only need for more than 5 because believe it or not the sound is good 5 across the sofa.  Extras can sit behind the sofa.

Berndt

« Reply #26 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:34 am »
Jim, your sandwich fixings sound great! I'll stop by Lucca deli for some salame supplements.
Please, I think Brian is fine company, my vote is yes.
I'd be happy to carpool, I'll come up 280 from Daly City, hwy one over the GGB, and onto Petaluma.
Probably leave my place 9:30~9:45 to reach Jims house around 11:00. (my timing seem right, jim?)
Would be happy to have company. I'll bring the musica, along with some of my favorite music.
Jim, are you using the pathos? Any desire to hear the mapletree ultra4 pre?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:51 am »
Yes, 11 seems perfect. 

Would love to hear the preamp.
jimbolaya

Berndt

« Reply #28 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:03 am »
great, I hope it is allright that Denise, my better half, wishes to join?
Perhaps we should cancel the strippers? :duh:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:16 am »
She's welcome.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #30 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:51 am »
Guys,

Howsa' 'bout a TT?  I got my new/old JVC DD table now, tricked out with lessons learned on my first one from last year, and it's sounding-a-pretty-good  :)

I'm kinda' itching to see how it fares sonically in mixed company.

Wanna hear what $400 gets ya' ($300 cartridge) in analog front end?  Have (nice and light and small, overall, and battery driven) phono pre-amp (Musical Surroundings Phenomena and Power Supply, will travel.... :) So, tally is really $1100 or so with phono preamp included.

John
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2006, 04:31 am by TheChairGuy »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2006, 04:30 am »
Jim,

Couple things:

1. I sell chairs primarily for the beach...so they only sit 9" off the gound.  That okay?  You only want two there?  Hope I have a couple of my sweetie loungers - that's the place to listen. It's a MAN'S portable chair  :wink:

2.  I plan to peel out by 1:30PM or so....I had my heavy peak travel season pretty much end and I want to spend a little more time with wife/daughter on weekend.  I've spent enough time talking to them on cell and SKYPE the past few months. 

3.  I'd like Brian there - he tells it like it is (or he THINKS it is  :))  I really think of him as a music lover first, and speaker builder second.

John E.

Hmmmmmmm....

I'll have pesto pennini (sp?) on hand: turkey, gorgonzola, tomato & pesto on grilled sourdough.  Is anyone lactose intolerant? 

Anything amber light sounds good...

ANYONE FORGETING OR NEGLECTING TO BRING A FEW FAVORITE CD'S IS SUBJECT TO REVOCATION OF CLUB MEMBERSHIP!

So far:

Jim R.
Bill B.
John chairperson
Brian
Jim H (friend)

5 current total.

John- if OK please bring 2 mid-height folding chairs.  Will only need for more than 5 because believe it or not the sound is good 5 across the sofa.  Extras can sit behind the sofa.

« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2006, 02:21 pm by TheChairGuy »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:14 pm »
I'll set an alarm & kick John out by 1330 hours (130pm).

W/ Denise we have 6.  5 can sit on the couch; I have one folding chair for the back, so looks like we won't need any other chairs unless someone currently unscheduled appears.

I'd love to hear the tt.  I'm actually a huge fan of DD tt's, not normally favored by audiophiles.  Last one was an ancient Sony PSX-9000 (model?) w/ linear-tracking servo-controlled arm, the best table I've heard (only drawback till it broke was feedback because it was not suspended; known for computer problems, we're talking a super-complex circuit in early-mid '80s).  In comparison to the Sony, the Linn LP12s wow & flutter was so bad it was ridiculous (the old Sota's have such awful w & f that they are almost unlistenable, just like Neil Levinson used to bloviate about in Fanfare magazine).     

Current table is DD Denon w/ servo-controlled pivoting arm.  It's not set up because the auto-mute mechanism  mutes one ch when it should not (should mute only when the cartridge is not over the LP record surface).  I must remove the circuit one of these days when I get time & find a place to site the table.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #33 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:27 pm »
Allrighty, I'll bring the JVC TT and phono pre-amp (it's input and loading are set on it, so better to use it ran into linestage than on your or Bill/Berndt's phono section of the Mapletree he's bringing).  And, 2-3 chairs (just in case anybody is farting up any gorgonzola on the couch  :lol:)

I'm really looking forward to hearing Bill's Mapletree pre-amp...seems like outstanding value for $800.00.

Want to assign me any food of drink duties to bring, too?

Jim, I can come before most folks (I think I live about closest to you) to help set up if you'd like.  Say, 10AM or so?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:46 pm »
John,
I suppose yes it might be nice to arrive 10-1030 to get the table setup......

TheChairGuy

« Reply #35 on: 1 Nov 2006, 02:00 am »
John,
I suppose yes it might be nice to arrive 10-1030 to get the table setup......

10-10:30AM I'll be there.  But, where do you live...sent a PM to ya' a couple daze back.

If not there, just PM me the address.  Unless you live in an odd place, I can probably Rand McNally it pretty well.

Give me a tel number, too, in case it's needed.

Thanks.

John / TCG

TheChairGuy

« Reply #36 on: 3 Nov 2006, 05:39 am »
Allright - it's on for Saturday.  Here ye', here ye - all rise  :beer:

Berndt

« Reply #37 on: 3 Nov 2006, 05:47 am »
here, hear, good cheer!
jimbo must've gone to bed, or he's at work...
I could use the address too Jimboloio.
pms fine

R_burke

« Reply #38 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:10 pm »
pms fine

I will assume you mean PM's are fine.  :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist  :roll:

Berndt

« Reply #39 on: 4 Nov 2006, 05:35 am »
Ricardo, your wit is timeless.
Please tell me someone is bringing a digital camera?