Hyperion's new 968

Roy S

Hyperion's new 968
« on: 5 Jun 2006, 03:55 pm »
Saw and heard the 968 at HE show. Sounded very good although hard to tell whether they are significantly better than my 938s due to the different front setup.

BUT the finish what I lust for!!! The cabinet finish is right up there with the Rockports and Wilsons - perfect mirror piano black. Now if only my 938s are finished like that...  :(

Dracule1

• Facilitator
Hyperion's new 968
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2006, 04:19 am »
Hi Roy,

Wish I was there :cry: .  I really want to hear this speaker, but I have been studying for the biggest certification examination of my life.  From the pictures I've seen, I didn't think the finish was all that different than the 938.  But I'm to see that Hyperion has stepped up the finish quality on par with the Wilsons.  Hmm... wonder if someone is going to do a side by side review of the 938 vs 968.

H_S_D

Hyperion's new 968
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2006, 03:22 pm »
Dear Hyperion friends,

HPS-968 is basically the answers for all those questions, suggestions and comments we have collected over the past 2 years.  In our opinion, HPS-968 is better than HPS-938 in full spectrum, particularly in cross over design and bass reproduction.  We really appreciate the support from all of you, and we will continue to make great products for all music lovers.

H_S_D

Dracule1

• Facilitator
Hyperion's new 968
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2006, 01:40 am »
Hi Albert,

Good to hear from you again.  I look forward to hearing the 968.

Nick Bassman

Re: Hyperion's new 968
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2006, 06:36 am »
Quote from: Roy S
BUT the finish what I lust for!!! The cabinet finish is right up there with the Rockports and Wilsons - perfect mirror piano black. Now if only my 938s are finished like that...  :(

I echo this sentiment. I absolutely love the sound quality from my 938s but I gave up after 2 pairs to get some with a perfect finish. The first pair had finish problems around the drivers. The second pair arrived with significant scratches on one bass unit and one head unit. I felt bad about asking the UK distributor to replace the second pair so I stuck with them. Still slightly miffed at spending that kind of money for imperfect product.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2006, 03:47 am »
Hi Roy,

I think you should have replaced the second pair.  There is no reason why a manufacturer should put out a product that is cosmetically defective.  That being said, I had similar experience as you, and Hyperion replaced the speakers without any problems (see my review).  Hyperion is very concerned about quality control, and your feedback will help them to produce a better product in the future.

viperrabbit

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2006, 05:10 pm »
Hyperion is very concerned about quality control, and your feedback will help them to produce a better product in the future.

Don't totally agree with that comment.  My units have uneven/rough edges at the bottom part of 3 cabinets.

When I asked Albert, he had this to say:
    "To be 100% honest with you.  If the finish is perfect, you will probably have to pay near 40K USD.  The HPS-968 has better finish cabinet, if you wish."

I think if any manufacturer wants to use piano finish, they should ensure that the finish is top notch.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:46 am »
Hi Viperrabbit,

Sorry to hear that has been your experience.  I agree with you that a speaker should not have visible defects if the manufacturer decides to do piano finish.  I don't agree with having to spend $40k to get top quality finishes.  I've seen piano finishes from $300 Yamaha speakers that were perfect - I actually own a pair.   Although piano finish is one of the tougher finish to get right, there is no excuse for obviously visible scratches and rough finishes in a $4k speaker.  I used to own a pair of Mirage M1 that had piano finish top and side panels.  I had to replace the the side panels because the finish was dull and appeared scratched, and my dealer replaced them without question.  It is not the consumers job to put up with cosmetic defects. Hopefully, we won't hear of defective finishes on the 968s.
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2006, 02:49 am by Dracule1 »

viperrabbit

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:51 am »
I asked Albert if I were entitled to a change but from his answers, the answer was obviously no.  While the sound from these amazing speakers were worth it, it is not justifiable to pay $4.5K for an imperfect product.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2006, 04:00 am »
have albert take a look at some ushers and then come back to you with his comments.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2006, 05:56 am »
marda1,

I have not heard the Ushers, but have seen them at audio shows.  Superb finish and workmanship.

hinken74

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2006, 07:57 pm »
Does any one now if there´s a good way to upgrade from 938 to 968 or shall I sit satisfiied with my speakers. What is the biggest difference. Is the tweeter better. Is the midrange even better then on 938?

Best regards/
Henrik

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2006, 07:31 am »
Hi Hinken,

As far as I aware, there is no way to upgrade a 938 to a 968 - the drivers, crossover, and cabinets are different.  As far as sound goes, I would wait and see how the 968s pan out (reviews and auditions when the 968s are more widely available) before forking over $6500.  I doubt the 968 will be a magnitude better than the 938.

malcolmsmith

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2006, 08:08 pm »
Whilst accepting it is not possible to upgrade a 938 to a 968. One of the apparent good ideas on the 968,which would seem possible, is the adjustable tilt of the top unit with the lazer sweet spot beam.Do you think this would be an improvement and if so would Hyperion be willing to make it available to purchase?

hinken74

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2006, 05:40 am »
I was meaning upgrading in the sense of selling of 938 and buy 968. But i thínk it´s wise to wait the fortcoming? reviews.

Thanks

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2006, 07:51 am »
Hi Malcome,

Adapting the tilting system of the 968s to the 938s would require drilling into the cabinets - not a good idea.  As for the laser sweetspot, couldn't you buy your own pen laser for about $20 USD and afix on the top cabinet to set the correct alignment?  I think these are nice features which could improve the sound slightly, but you can do as good a job aligning the speakers with the help of a friend.

Hi Hinken,

Sorry I misunderstood your earlier post.  We all are anxious to hear the 968s.  I may get get a chance this weekend in NYC.

malcolmsmith

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2006, 05:19 pm »
Thanks very much for your reply,I did not realize that it would involve drilling into cabinets.Obviously not a good idea! Have you/or anyone else experimented with this so called sweet spot alignment and if so does it make a differance/improvement? I take your point about lazer pen etc. Could you guide me on how to do this accurately,what to look for etc?
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2006, 09:46 pm by malcolmsmith »

rvisinta

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2006, 06:35 pm »
Hi guys:

This is Bob from Rhapsody Music & Cinema.  I am the NYC dealer for Hyperion.  I currently have the 968's and the 733 set up for demonstration.  I have the 100Watt Hyperion SS amps (BEC Monos) along with the HT-88 Hyperion Tube amps.  I have a BEC-P25 SS Hyperion Pre and  I use a $5K Goldmund CD/SACD player.  I also drive the 968's with a 200Watt Goldmund integrated. 

Of course you are all welcome to come and hear the Hyperion products.  I am open during the week, from 12-6 and evenings or Saturdays by appt.

Let me know if I may be of assistance....regards

Bob

tmij

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2006, 10:41 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle, Bob, glad to have you here!

Please come visit us at the New York Audio Rave circle.

Best,
Tito

NealH

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2006, 12:58 am »
How about giving us a small slice of your first impressions on this speaker Bob and, briefly how it compares to the 938.