Purist owners' comments requested...

bikes and beats

« on: 18 Mar 2006, 02:36 pm »
Hello all,
After y'all recover from your post St. Paddy's day hangovers, I'd like to get feedback on what to expect from the Purist preamp. I'm replacing a tube line stage that I'm tired of buying tubes for and I can't get anyone to do routine maintenance on. The Purist stands out as the best SS option in the "reasonable" price range. I'm a tight-wad audiophile, I will get one used if possible. If nothing else, the Purist seems like a good candidate for long-term reliability. So let me have it!
Thanks,
Mike

Bruce 09

« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2006, 01:05 am »
I have only listened to mine for about a Half an hour  but   It was compared to high end  gear and   my buddy who owns  a High end  audio store was very impressed  . If he did not have obligations to show his own gear  he would have used it  him self.

Bruce

ryno

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2006, 03:37 am »
I've had one for a few years now. After my speakers it was my first piece of equipment better than the "big box" stores. A few months ago got a tube pre, a minimax, and have been switching back and forth between the pre's and a couple of the amps.
The purist has a more relaxed sound with a very black background while the tube pre is more forward, fells like your closer to the music. The tubed has a more locked in center image, but the purist has better soundstage depth and width. Finally with the minimax I get a little fatigued, never with the purist.
Right now, if I had to pick one, it would be the purist.
Might be a good time to look for a used purist, if IRD ever releases the audiophile, I bet quite a few will upgrade. Might drive the used price down.
FYI, I originally got mine used, and the guy who bought it emailed back a year later and wanted to but it back. Said he didn't find anything he liked better.
good luck, Ryan

ulysse21

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2006, 09:04 am »
Hello,

I own a purist since one year now and i use it with 100W Crimson CS630C monoblocks!

I agree with Ryno, soundstage has a great depth and width but i wish have more focus.

The bandwidth is also very good.

In my system, the sound depends a lot of gain level. I get the best dynamic and bass slam with gain level = 2 but sound become a little harsh with worse timbre.

I get the best timbre and soundstage dimensional with gain=1 and it is the level i keep more often. Nevertheless i wish have more dynamic and bass impact.

Purist is, for it's price, the best préamplifier i know!

scottpretti

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2006, 01:16 pm »
Ryno, that was me.... I think.  Found a used Purist shortly after emailing you.

Yes,  it is a great pre and when used with the MB-100 it has zero noise floor!  Curt has a stellar combo.  I switch back and forth with the MB-100 and  Gary Dodds 120 monos.   I like the 120's for their ability to control any speakers bottom end and the liquid mids.  I'm using some Dennis Murphy one offs for the last year. (scan speak and morel drivers).  The best characteristic about the Purist is that it does not impart anything to the music.  When available I'd like to upgrade to the Audiophile.  Curt makes a fine, no, outstanding product!

Bruce 09

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2006, 02:51 pm »
I have one for sale.   It is over on the for sale forum here. I  wish i could keep it but I have no room for a two channel system and I just spent most of my money on MY home theater room  . I bought it helping a friend  out  But  on doing research here I really think I might upgrade my receiver and buy some of these monoblocks .

Bruce .

guest1632

Re: Purist owners' comments requested...
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2006, 08:31 am »
Hello all,
After y'all recover from your post St. Paddy's day hangovers, I'd like to get feedback on what to expect from the Purist preamp. I'm replacing a tube line stage that I'm tired of buying tubes for and I can't get anyone to do routine maintenance on. The Purist stands out as the best SS option in the "reasonable" price range. I'm a tight-wad audiophile, I will get one used if possible. If nothing else, the Purist seems like a good candidate for long-term reliability. So let me have it!
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike, Well, as a Purist owner, I read recently somewhere a guy reviewing the Purist against the Maudrite tube preamp. He sdid not find that much difference between the two. That! is saying a lot. One thing though, it in the spirit of be a "Purist" preamp, doesn't have a tape or processor loop. I have been bugging curt for a long time to put one in. There are always some tradeoffs. But, ... even if you have to buy it new, don't think you will regret it. The mother is built like a tank.

Ray Bronk