TL Kit281's?

cmscott6

TL Kit281's?
« on: 27 Mar 2003, 02:45 pm »
I am considering building a set of these kit281's (based on reviews only - haven't heard them... :) ).  Just curious if anyone has ever used the transmission line option?  All the reviews I've seen have been for the ported option.  Any thoughts?

KevinW

TL's are very nice
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2003, 09:22 pm »
I really like TL speakers.  They have much tighter bass in general than a ported speaker, which can sound boomy in comparison.  Ported speakers essentially act as spring resonators to enhance bass, and therefore that resonance tends to muddy out the bass.  In a good design, this can be hard to notice, but a TL will always have tight bass if designed right.  Although this mightgive the impression of LESS bass, because of the lack of resonance.

The reason TL's are not very popular is because they are much harder to make in a production sense than "six sides and a port".  They also require more volume to make the line, and require a lot of stuffing with natural wool being the best material by far.  Not very practical in a money-making operation, but very reasonable for a DIY project.

If you come to Portland, I have a DIY transmission line speaker which you might want to hear.  It uses the Jordan full range 4" driver.

srmc

Re: TL Kit281's?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2003, 10:16 pm »
I was considering the TL Kit281s as well and asked the same question.  The consensus, including Dan at Adire, was that the ported version was better.  Give Adire a call or send them an e-mail about your needs and I'm sure they'll help you out.

KevinW

Do you know why?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2003, 11:01 pm »
Did you get any reason as to why they thought the ported version was better?  Just saying "it's better" doesn't help that much. I haven't heard either design, but I am interested in the comparison.

srmc

Re: Do you know why?
« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2003, 12:21 am »
Quote from: KevinW
Did you get any reason as to why they thought the ported version was better?  Just saying "it's better" doesn't help that much. I haven't heard either design, but I am interested in the comparison.

I don't think that the TL version is fully optimized and may take some tweaking with the taper and stuffing to get it right.  Unfortunately I didn't save the e-mails from Adire so I can't say precisely why Dan liked the ported version better.  But IIRC, while the ported version did not measure as low, the bass was more controlled.  Still, you should contact Dan directly as I do not want to misstate his opinion.  He responded quickly to my questions, and if you send an e-mail to Adire I'm confident he'd share his observations with you (avoiding any my imperfect powers of recollection).

cmscott6

tl kit281
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2003, 02:03 pm »
Interestingly enough diycable offers a slight variation (?) of the tl kit281 on their website...
http://www.diycable.com/catalog/products/281_tl.htm

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
TL Kit281's?
« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2003, 05:57 pm »
Yes... a slight variation.  Which you like is has a lot to do with preference.  :)  There are advantages/disadvantages to both but either is a great speaker.  

Kevin
www.diycable.com