America's Cup on now

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
America's Cup on now
« on: 14 Mar 2021, 05:11 am »
The latest America's Cup is being shown on NBCSports at 10 PM Eastern.  If you haven't seen the new boats, give it a view.  It is visually stunning, especially the Italian boat.  These boats run on foils, which raises the body of the boat above the water.  They hit speeds of up to 50 mph and can turn on a dime.  Somehow it makes me think of spaceships, odd as that sounds.  They just seem to be floating above the water.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: America's Cup on now
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2021, 12:53 pm »
Just took a look on Youtube, and you're right, they don't even look like what sailboat used to be.  Stunningly fast.  I used to love those great matches between New Zealand and the U.S. 

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2021, 04:52 pm »
I think the technology has over taken the sailing.  To the point there has only been 1(I think) race of this whole series where the boat over the start line first didn't win. 

Yep  it's pretty spectacular to see a boat perfectly vertical going that fast with that much sail full of wind.  Back in the day they had 20 tons of lead hanging as low on the boat as possible and added bodies shifting there position  side to side to keep the heeling to a manageable level.  The boats sailing this year with crew onboard total weight is 5.5 to 6 tons.   

I recall changing sails while actively racing  as to maximize speed and the rare dropping of a sail in the water to see just how fast a boat can stop.   And this year there is how to make a boat fly and break.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBUTJG3Hf_s  .  And that is what close to 50 kts. and not getting the back stay released.   

It is spooky to see how those sails work.  I think it's the first 2 sided sail.  That's right the mail sail has a port and a starboard sail surface.  No big boom at the bottom ( metal or like object that goes back and forth and when it hits your head BOOM).

Alan

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2021, 05:40 pm »
Even thou the are going over 50mph, there is no sense of action, that is unless something bad happens. It's like watching a video game. The crew is hidden below deck and the boats don't heel in a puff. Unless there are large wind shifts, the boats can't pass each other.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2021, 05:45 pm »
I have been trying to recall the year the boats used the spectator fleet to chace each other.  Some how Dennis Conner comes to mind.

A

Phil_S

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2021, 06:47 pm »
1986 San Diego comes to mind