Shopping for server

JohnR

Re: Shopping for server
« Reply #120 on: 23 Dec 2018, 03:29 am »
I did try to connect the DSJ to the network via ethernet/HomePage but it wouldn't play iTunes or Tidal

It won't, and I don't think anyone suggested that. Perhaps the confusion here is that there are two ways to select the destination device for audio: 1. In the Sound pane of System Preferences, or 2. In the player app itself.

You seem to have attempted (1). This won't work, unless the network player has AirPlay, which I don't think your DSJ has and which I don't think many would recommend anyway.

For (2) to work, the player app has to have network playback built into it. Neither iTunes nor the Tidal app have that. Apps that do have that, and "should" (*) be able to send audio to your DSJ are Roon, Audirvana Plus, and JRiver.

(*) I say "should" because I read that DSJ is not fully compatible with the UPnP protocol that the latter two use. You (or someone) would have to try it to see. As you say, this area of technology has a way to go.

(**) Also, what exactly is "HomePage"?

JoshK

« Reply #121 on: 23 Dec 2018, 04:51 am »
To add to what JohnR said, I'll reiterate that Spotify works with the Bridge II. 

JackD

« Reply #122 on: 23 Dec 2018, 05:50 am »
All three of the major services work like a champ with the Bridge II all it takes is to break down and buy a tablet from either camp. Serviceable Android ones can be bought from Best Buy for less than $75 and mControl HD works on either. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #123 on: 23 Dec 2018, 11:58 am »
I'm a retired civil engineer, so understand the basics of technology.  Also understand that it's essential that your ideas can be effectively communicated not just between peers, but with lay people, so that they can be accepted and used.  Computer folks are a special breed, like researchers, who struggle to relate to the rest of us.  Please accept that, or just watch Big Bang Theory. 

"HomePage" is a generic term that represents a means to extend ethernet networks by piggybacking on the home's electrical wiring.  It requires direct ethernet connections to the router on one end and the device to be connected on the other end from plug-in devices (similar in size to a wall wart).  It is considered as an effective alternative to full hardwiring ethernet and provides a stronger signal than WiFi. 

So in my case I used a pair of Netgear HomePage devices to extend ethernet to the Small Green Computer which worked without incident, and tried to do it with my wireless MacBook/iTunes.  (Never thought that would work, but followed through on what I thought was an above suggestion.)

Many references to Bridge II (a PS Audio DirectStream "Senior" add on).  Note that a bridge function is built into my PS Audio DirectStream Junior and from what I understand is not 100% the same.

Even if you gave me a tablet I'd still use my MacBook.  Not a fan of tablets in general (they've been called a solution looking for a problem to solve).  A tablet would just be another device to setup, maintain, and clutters (like having six remotes); harder to use versus a laptop that sits on my lap, has a real keyboard, a bigger screen, runs 'grown up' programs versus apps, and many other advantages.  When I retired wifey graciously offered to buy me a tablet for my consulting work, but quickly realized at that time a fully loaded iPad would cost $800 and the MacBook Air I bought was $1000, no contest.

As I mentioned above, I'm a bit of a Luddite compared to most of you and perhaps a 62 year old dinosaur.  So far haven't heard/seen clear advantages of servers, "better" operating systems, or "superior" methods of transmission but will continue to search.  Thanks for all your input.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2018, 11:07 am by JLM »

JackD

« Reply #124 on: 23 Dec 2018, 03:38 pm »
The two DAC's themselves are not the same hence the price difference but the Bridge II cards from Conversdigital are identical and operate the same.  Myself and I'm sure most of us that use "tablets" with streaming devices don't consider them as replacements for our laptops and don't use them that way.  They are in my system a "remote control device" and a part of doing business and certainly less work and less costly than looking for streaming alternatives when one is located inside the DS Jr already.  If the "cost" of an iPad as a remote control bothers you then buy a bottom level Android tablet and use mControl HD for Android.  If you buy from Amazon, Best Buy, etc. and it doesn't work out send or take it back.

JoshK

« Reply #125 on: 23 Dec 2018, 04:24 pm »
Given everything we discussed, I'd suggest sticking with your current setup.  Maybe tip your toes in the water and try out connection the DSJ to the network (via Homepage or however) and see if you can make an app like Spotify (free unless you pay to not have ads) stream to the DSJ from your Mac.  The goal isn't about superior SQ, the goal is to learn a couple of ways to expand your capabilities from your Mac and current DAC.

Pictures being worth a thousand words and all....

That is the device icon, you click it and then you see a list of available devices to choose where you want the stream sent.  Notice "BridgeII" is the second one.  Bingo. Just click on it and the stream is automatically sent to the DAC.   I have never used iTunes at all, not even in the very old days so I can't say how that might works, but a few such streaming apps will work like this.   The tablet control is even better and opens up a lot more options even if you still want to use the Mac for the most part, but if you don't want another device I can understand that.   

For me Lumin on the tablet streaming from my NAS (storage unit with my music) is a killer app and works very nicely.  I bought a Huawei because it works very well and at the time was a lot cheaper than a Samsung.  I broke my iPad, but I hated using it versus Android anyway.   Lumin on my phone works the same but I find the screen too small to be easy to use.

TomS

« Reply #126 on: 23 Dec 2018, 05:00 pm »
Great suggestion Josh. As I understand it, this does require a Spotify Connect subscription ($10/mo) to work with the Bridge. Cost of 1 CD a month is cheap to me :wink: 

skunark

« Reply #127 on: 23 Dec 2018, 05:05 pm »
Spotify will be a step back on sonics over Tidal.  OP goal is to improve sound quality

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #128 on: 23 Dec 2018, 05:34 pm »
Pictures being worth a thousand words and all....

I'm assuming the track choice in the first picture is with no pun intended, so  to speak...  :lol:

No offense intended anywhere; it just struck me as funny.  :green:

Joking aside, Josh, am I reading this correctly that you're running the Lumin app from an android tablet?  From everything I've read, Lumin basically says, "yep, we have an android app, but you really should use the iOS one".  It would be good to know that features and stability-wise the android Lumin app is solid and steady.

In a broader sense of gear being built these days, am I imagining things or is it getting to be more or less common now to have a DAC also be one's player/streamer?  Is the general market for DAC-only and player/streamer-only solutions already going the way of the dinosaur, or is JLM's broader thought that this whole technology configuration is still young enough that it still hasn't settled in to a proper groove?

TomS

« Reply #129 on: 23 Dec 2018, 05:45 pm »
Spotify will be a step back on sonics over Tidal.  OP goal is to improve sound quality
Understood completely, however the suggestion was that he walk before he runs on the technology side, and as he gets more comfortable, take just a few steps further to sonic bliss  :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #130 on: 23 Dec 2018, 06:24 pm »
Great suggestion Josh. As I understand it, this does require a Spotify Connect subscription ($10/mo) to work with the Bridge. Cost of 1 CD a month is cheap to me :wink: 

Oh, yeah, you might be right.  I use Spotify so much I forgot that might be an option.  For me Spotify is what I use for listening to new music (new bands) such as the band 1914 (which coincidentally wasn't chosen to be a pun, I was listening to this band last literally, but how apropro).   Also Spotify is great for background music as many of their playlists are good fodder.  I think I pay $7/mo. 

Skunkard:  if you read what I wrote, I said it wasn't about SQ but about learning new methods of use. 

JoshK

« Reply #131 on: 23 Dec 2018, 06:27 pm »
Regarding Lumin on the Android, at first I did have some bugs with it, but it turned out to be more network instability because of how I had my network arranged (way too complicated; a friend helped me remotely simplify).   It has worked great ever since.  The iPad did work more consistently from the get-go, but I broke it, so... 

skunark

« Reply #132 on: 23 Dec 2018, 06:39 pm »
Did you try the Linn Kazoo app seems its iOS, android, MacOS and Windows.  I can use both to control an openhome endpoint

JoshK

« Reply #133 on: 23 Dec 2018, 06:47 pm »
I haven't tried Kazoo

skunark

« Reply #134 on: 24 Dec 2018, 05:59 am »
I feel like you should have said it sucked or trying it now

GregC

« Reply #135 on: 12 Aug 2019, 10:08 pm »
I do not mean to resurrect an old thread but I just wanted to thank all the contributors here. 

Several years ago I started off using a dedicated Windows 7 machine as a music server.  I used JRiver to stream music directly to my DAC via USB.  I also used the server to rip my vinyl to digital files (and continue to do so).  I use Vinyl Studio software to rip vinyl.     

Currently I have two ways I stream music (depending on whether or not I power up my Windows 7 music server). 

1) Windows 7 (JRiver) > USB > Kitsune SU-1 > I2S > DAC
2) External Hard Drive > Router > Ultrarendu (Logitech Music Server) > USB > DAC

When I tested JRiver using network streaming through the Ultrarendu (via DLNA), I did not hear an appreciable improvement compared to the direct USB connection out of my Windows machine.  Maybe that is attributed to the excellent Kitsune SU-1 and the I2S connection to my DAC. The Kitsune SU-1 isolates USB noise from the DAC.

With some research I found I could setup Logitech Music Server on the Ultrarendu to directly stream music over my network.  The web interface is easy to use and music sounds great.

After reading through this thread I saw mention of Linn Kazoo, so I downloaded it to my Android phone and laptop.  I set the Ultrarendu to DNLA and voila I can stream music from my network to the Ultrarendu using Kazoo as a controller.  I like the interface.  The volume output is louder than LMS so I have more headroom without having turn up the volume on my preamp like I must do when streaming via Logitech Music Server.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help from the AC community, you all rock.  Linn Kazoo suggestion works well for my needs and cost nothing to leverage my existing setup.