Sonica DAC full upgrade...

Coris

Sonica DAC full upgrade...
« on: 23 Nov 2018, 08:01 pm »
Showing my upgraded Sonica. Full upgrade. New designed, and fully linear power supply, clock system battery powered, improved DAC power system, and the fully differential (OPA1632 based) output module for both RCA and XLR out (the two available DAC output pairs are tied together). Also some improvements on USB input board.

The new clock system it use two Epson oscillators (27Mhz for main processor, and a SAW type 100Mhz oscillator for DAC chip.
Very surprisingly the clock system upgrade it is decisive for the final touch in sound quality improvement. I did it this clock replacement in the end of the whole improvement process, after all upgrades it were in place. Lifting in sound quality after replacing the DAC oscillator, it is obvious.
Some words about my linear PSU. It include (beside the main power regulator), four ultra low noise TPS7A regulators, as follow: two for the +/- power rails for analogue circuits, and two pre regulators for DAC power rails. Very large filter capacities are also on board for digital section regulator, as for DAC pre regulators. I used the original HF main AC filtering cell, and I added (on LPS board) a DC blocking filter. The transformer winding designated to the digital section is double shielded, and grounded. The very low amount heat it is dissipated through the chassis cover (thermal connections by thermal pads).
How it sound all this? Over all expectations...

P.S. The picture hereby it was taken with the device in function. Therefore are placed the small heatsinks on the LPS regulators.

nc42acc

Re: Sonica DAC full upgrade...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2018, 08:19 pm »
How does it sound and how much $ are the upgrades?

Coris

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2018, 09:48 pm »
The sound it was indeed a surprise even for me, as I am used already with the Oppo players Sabre DAC Pro sound (after improvements). The first I noticed it is the very obvious dynamics increasing, then the very wide sound scene, and the accentuated presence of the voices (in front of the speakers line). Nice depth and volume of the field as well. I can say that it is a better sounding DAC, than what I got from Oppo last model player family. I do not know yet why, because the DAC chip is the same, as my post DAC stage is the same as well (but I have a assumption...).
What is bad for the Sonica design, and this it cannot be modified, is the DAC output channels allocation. From the 4 output pairs of SabrePro DAC, Oppo designers decided using only two. The rest of the two are grounded, and not mapped at all. So, I tied together the only two available. Even thought used only half of its output capabilities, the ESS9038Pro in Sonica it sounds first of all, very dynamic.
A possible explanation for this stupid design, it may be that, that Oppo haven`t available or did not want (or did not known how to do it) redesigning a new post DAC circuit for 9038Pro. This last ESS DAC version it need a particularly output stage, when using more than one pair output channels, connected together. They used the same basic design as in the 105/205 players.
However, my upgraded Sonica it sounds just wonderful. As it should actually in my (own) opinion...

Ric Schultz

• Restricted
    • http://www.tweakaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2018, 08:53 pm »
Coris,
Since you are the manufacturer and seller of this product then you are simply placing an ad here.  This is not allowed on this forum (or on Computer audio or Audio Asylum).  However, you can do this on Audiogon, DIYaudio and What's Best.  I would never start a thread here on my modified Sonica and Oppo 205 players.  I would need to buy into the program here to do it.  I think you can introduce yourself on the "Industry Introductions" page.  We manufacturers need to play by the rules of the various forums.   You need to change your status to "Industry Participant" as well.