Amp referrals for 626r and LRC

Woodsea

Amp referrals for 626r and LRC
« on: 7 Nov 2018, 08:31 pm »
I went to the Capital Audiofest last weekend and was blown away by Salk and Odyssey.  I know from experience my speakers can sound "nearly" as full.  I have been running them through an old Onkyo AVR after leaving an old Harman Kardon on the West Coast.
Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: Amp referrals for 626r and LRC
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2018, 08:43 pm »
I went to the Capital Audiofest last weekend and was blown away by Salk and Odyssey.  I know from experience my speakers can sound "nearly" as full.  I have been running them through an old Onkyo AVR after leaving an old Harman Kardon on the West Coast.
Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Thanks

One of the biggest things people do wrong is under power. With a higher power amp, the damping is better, along with the dynamic capability. This is particularly true, and obvious, at lower listening levels. If a speaker sounds good at normal levels you’ve got a good combo

That said, quality is important. There are maybe a handful of receivers that can “get there”, but nothing as good as separate electronics, and in some cases, an integrated amp. Manufacturers tend to contain costs and power supplies are the first to get skimped on. With class D its really important.

I hate to harp, but I have a number of amps from tubes to hybrids to Class A, and the NuPrise has become a reference. It offers excellent performance / value. You should check them out. And don’t worry about driving your speakers with amps between 150 and 200 watts/ch. You may be surpised to see what you’ve been missing all along.

Mark