Combining BL horns and OB's

Poultrygeist

Combining BL horns and OB's
« on: 20 Oct 2018, 11:02 am »
I'm really enjoying this hybrid system using OB bass woofers, open back B&G Neo 3 tweeters and the Frugal Horn Mk3's. The Frugal Horns and tweeters are powered by the new Volt+D amp and a plate amp drives the 16" woofers. A single cap on the Neo 3's filters out the LF.

matevana

Re: Combining BL horns and OB's
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2018, 04:19 pm »
Hey Poultry!

Cool design. Some of the best systems I have heard have been OB hybrids.

I know you've done some experimenting with various chip amps/class d amps. How do you like the TPA3118 in the Volt+? What's your favorite chip amp to date? And can I ask what value cap you're using on the Neos?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2018, 10:49 am »
I have the Volt+ and the latest Volt+D ( dual mono ) as well as other 3110 and 3116 models using a variety of power supplies. They all sound very good but to my ears the +D stands alone. In this system it replaced a much loved SET amp.

Love hearing the shimmer of brushed cymbals so with the Neo 3 a 1.5uF cap does it for me.

versus rider

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2018, 08:25 am »
When I read the title I was expecting front horns. I don't see the point of a back loaded horn with the bass filtered out. I'm open to be enlightened though.
I experimented with 200hz tractrix horns with BMS compression drivers and open backed box with eminence 15" woofers. Highs were wonderfully handled by Raal 140/15D ribbon tweeters.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2018, 11:00 am »
The back loaded horns run full range powered by their own amp while the flat baffle OB woofers are powered and filtered by a plate amp. No different than adding a sub to a pair of small driver conventional speakers. OB stand alone woofers can augment the bass of any type speaker.

Badwater

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2018, 07:20 pm »
Another hybrid:
Fostex Fe 166ESR in a back loaded form and a Fostex T90A super tweeter.  System is powered by a 4 channel 60 Watt per Channel SDS Class D Amp,  Use a MiniDSP to handle crossover duties with a single 0.33 cap on the T90A.  Nice cohesive sound.  They also make  great plant stands :D

Not sure why the picture is rotated. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2018, 12:16 am »
Excellent!

plus7878

• De la musique avant toute chose
« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2020, 01:48 pm »
Hello,
I intend to build something inspired by Wolf Von Langa Berlin or Pure Audio Project Trio 15 in one word an "hybrid". The base of the project is my favourite JBL 2441 2 inches compression + horn. The point is to match it with an Eminence Alpha 15A. I plan to use U-frame better than H-frame to avoid problems between 200 and 350 hz and thus not to have a big depth (maximum 25 cm according to the King's equations). The crossover will be MiniDSP Nanodigit at 350 hz. Advices welcome.