Edge SI-1M Pre-Amplifier In Excellent Condition!

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
Edge SI-1M Pre-Amplifier In Excellent Condition!
« on: 19 Oct 2018, 04:53 am »
Edge electronics have an excellent reputation for sound quality, and in the 2000's considered to be a company putting out high performance equipment, and were not cheap by any means.

The S1-M is a pre amp that flew under the radar offering great value for the dollar spent, even though $4200 is not cheap. This is my back up pre amp, and and sounds wonderful, with detail, shading, transparency, and an even tonal balance. To better the Edge pre amp I ended up buying a Plinius Tautoro, which was their TOTL offering at $11,300. Tonally these two pre amps sound like they are cut from the same cloth, the Tautoro is just a bit more refined.

MSRP $4300
Sell    $1100

The thick aluminum case is in perfect condition. Uses Alps volume pot, and Noble sealed selector switch with silver contacts. These Noble pots had the smallest degree of play at each contact point, this does not effect its performance, its just an oddity of the part, even though these were one of the finest mechanical switches on the market. The remote controls volume only, and appears to be machined out of two very thick slabs of aluminum. Pre amp has no issues mechanical or cosmetic. Giving it an 8 rating just to be conservative.

Shipping will cost a bit, as the pre amp weighs in at around 30 pounds. But for the price, you are getting a fine pre-amp!

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
Re: Edge SI-1M Pre-Amplifier In Excellent Condition!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2018, 03:27 pm »
bump

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
Re: Edge SI-1M Pre-Amplifier In Excellent Condition!
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2019, 02:20 pm »
OK now Christmas is over, and its time to make a 2019 Year of the Pig bump!

Actually over the holidays I installed this pre amp back into the system for a listen, and I started to question myself about leaving it there and selling the Plinius instead. I even listed the Plinius on USAudiomart.

However, I reinstalled the Plinius this week, and it does barely squeak out a win over the Edge, but not by much. It does allow me to use balanced interconnects, which I happen to have some very nice ones on hand. But the Plinius MSRP was $11,200 with the Edge being $4,300. The Edge certainly wins the value per dollar comparison, especially for what I am selling it for. Conrols and output configuration is a bit basic, but the sound quality is top flight, with transparency, detail, texture, and a bottom end that is fantastic!

This really is an excellent pre amp.