Output impedance - how do you measure it?

JDUBS

Output impedance - how do you measure it?
« on: 3 Oct 2018, 03:16 am »
Hey guys, how would one measure output impedance of a wall outlet?  Taking that further, I want to also measure the output impedance of my UPS.

Thanks!!
Jim

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Output impedance - how do you measure it?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2018, 03:23 am »
Not safe measure ac tension impedance imo, regular cheap meters as what I use are intend to handle impedance from dc tension. What meter do you have?
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2018, 04:59 am by FullRangeMan »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2018, 01:02 pm »
Measuring AC power line source impedance is easy and safe.  All you need is a 'Kill-a-Watt' (or similar meter) and a big dummy load (I use an oil filled room heater).  You can test at wall outlets or thru power conditioners. I'll write up some simple instructions later in the "Power Conditioning" section.

But it's a steady state measurement and UPS & regen units have the most trouble dealing with demand peaks.

JDUBS

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2018, 03:32 pm »
Measuring AC power line source impedance is easy and safe.  All you need is a 'Kill-a-Watt' (or similar meter) and a big dummy load (I use an oil filled room heater).  You can test at wall outlets or thru power conditioners. I'll write up some simple instructions later in the "Power Conditioning" section.

But it's a steady state measurement and UPS & regen units have the most trouble dealing with demand peaks.

Yes, please!  Simple instructions would be great.

Thank you, sir!

-Jim