Chromebook and email

Emil

Chromebook and email
« on: 2 Oct 2018, 11:09 pm »
Looking into a chromebook for internet and email use.
I figure Chromebook wants you to use/open a gmail account but I want to keep my current email address.
I understand Thunderbird is not compatible so what are my options?

Thanks in advance

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Chromebook and email
« Reply #1 on: 2 Oct 2018, 11:18 pm »
GMail is the worst free email service you can use if you want keep your privacy, they track what browser and ip nº you use and if you change the browser or IP nº they will ask additional prof to let you logon in your email.

They will ask you a alternative email or cel phone nº but If they discover you have a second Gmail(using the same pc/ip) they will block/cancel the newer email you made. Get out.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 3 Oct 2018, 02:06 am »
If you can and are willing to access your email from a Chrome browser you should be able to keep your current email address.
On the other hand I recently bought a Dell laptop Windows 10, 8th gen Intel i5 processor and 8GB RAM for under $325. At that price why would you want a Chromebook?

Emil

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2018, 12:25 pm »
If you can and are willing to access your email from a Chrome browser you should be able to keep your current email address.
On the other hand I recently bought a Dell laptop Windows 10, 8th gen Intel i5 processor and 8GB RAM for under $325. At that price why would you want a Chromebook?

That's true but Acer is offering factory refurbs for $133 shipped. More than capable for internet and email

BobM

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2018, 08:33 pm »
Apple traitor :icon_twisted:

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2018, 08:47 pm »
Apple traitor :icon_twisted:

Never used apple :lol:

Emil

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2018, 04:49 pm »
After getting to know the Chromebook for a few days its really a nice machine. A bit quirky but easy to get used to. Loooong battery life
I was able to access my email using a web-based site provided by my cable/phone/internet provider.

$195 shipped from Amazon with return privileges. Not bad at all

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-Computer-802-11ac-Bluetooth/dp/B07FSFRWS4/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538930645&sr=1-3&keywords=2018+Acer+15.6%22+HD+WLED+Chromebook

Emil

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2018, 02:52 pm »
Chromebook is going back. Quirks became annoying.
The set up and use of a non Google Cloud printer became a hassle and the final straw

Back to amazon it goes and back to Windows I go

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2018, 03:58 pm »
I bought a Lenovo laptop for under $150 (refurbished). Works well plus, it's a complete laptop - I put my JRiver on it, plus it has HDMI and USB ports.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-14-laptop-intel-celeron-2gb-memory-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-mineral-gray/6061700.p?skuId=6061700

Crap - this one's a 14" and I have an 11.6" plus there's a $130 open box one.

Not sure why anyone would buy a chromebook or similar when you can get more for the same price.

Emil

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2018, 12:56 pm »
Thanks for the link, Charmeci

I did a bit of research on my own and from what I've read, even for email, word processing and internet browsing, you really need 4gb ram and at least 64 gb of storage otherwise the laptap would be considered "slow" or at least future proof it a bit.

But then again, speaking for myself and maybe a large group of audiophiles here, we tend to over analyse things and your recommendation is more than enough for my needs.

Emil

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2018, 04:45 pm »
Much appreciated, greyhound

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2018, 01:11 am »
Thanks for the link, Charmeci

I did a bit of research on my own and from what I've read, even for email, word processing and internet browsing, you really need 4gb ram and at least 64 gb of storage otherwise the laptap would be considered "slow" or at least future proof it a bit.

But then again, speaking for myself and maybe a large group of audiophiles here, we tend to over analyse things and your recommendation is more than enough for my needs.

I just sent a quick link - I wasn't doing any deep searches but also - when I bought mine in late spring, all the inexpensive laptops had 250MB HD's. Now they all seem to be 32GB SS drives. My how things change so quickly.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:37 pm »

I just sent a quick link - I wasn't doing any deep searches but also - when I bought mine in late spring, all the inexpensive laptops had 250MB HD's. Now they all seem to be 32GB SS drives. My how things change so quickly.

Those 32gb's are flash memory, not true SSD's.  They don't last as long.  However, they may be worth a look if the computer has a slot for a true SSD or m.2.  128gb and 250gb SSD's are cheap so you could buy one of these computers and install your own SSD.

Here is a 240gb Patriot SSD for $36.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820225082&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Solid+State+Disk-_-N82E16820225082&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vQn5_I1QAMEaT0MYSR4phF91f-DPD_s5Cr4NgzXDFPuIgOzCrWVy2YaAgiEEALw_wcB

These cheap SSD's are not as fast or as reliable as the more expensive ones but they will perform way better than a typical HD.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2018, 11:07 pm »
Those 32gb's are flash memory, not true SSD's.  They don't last as long.  However, they may be worth a look if the computer has a slot for a true SSD or m.2.  128gb and 250gb SSD's are cheap so you could buy one of these computers and install your own SSD.

This does not sound like a very good thing.