Any BMW X5 owners?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Any BMW X5 owners?
« on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:53 am »
Here's the deal.   I have a 15-year-old BMW 525i that is rough around the edges but runs fine.  My "truck" is a 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon with only 106K miles on it that blew a trans cooler line last week, causing she-who-must-be-obeyed to declare my rides to be "unreliable", mandating replacement  :duh: :duh: :duh:.

On her short list is as a Nissan Frontier P/U, a Buick Enclave, and even a Range (WTF???) Rover.  Go figure.  I've raised the concept of a BMW X5 as a desperate alternative.  Any comments on ride comfort, mileage, handling, trailer pulling, winter driving, maintenance costs?

Open to other suggestions so long as they don't have a blue oval on them.  DON'T want a massive SUV or truck.  Don't even want to pull a trailer of any sort (too old for that shit.

Thanks for any help.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Any BMW X5 owners?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:50 am »
I've owned two Rover products, and the English could never make electrons move properly in a circuit.  Super quiet, comfortable cars, especially sitting in my driveway when they wouldn't run.  Avoid at all cost.  If the wife insist on a Rover, replace the wife. 

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:18 pm »
I've owned two Rover products, and the English could never make electrons move properly in a circuit.  Super quiet, comfortable cars, especially sitting in my driveway when they wouldn't run.  Avoid at all cost.  If the wife insist on a Rover, replace the wife.

X2

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:20 pm »
Honda Pilot / Ridgeline. They are both on my radar. As for small pickups that are body on frame ......Toyota Tacoma

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:31 pm »
Having owned a few BMW's (not recently) and had very good luck with mine I shopped X5's before I bought my last car (new). I was fortunate to have a business rental of a loaded X5 last year (thanks Avis) and found it very nice on my week long "test drive", just not "great" IMHO for the $$$$. I ended up with an Audi SQ5, which is very nice, though a standard Q5 would be more than sufficient as an alternative to the X5. An Acura MDX would be even easier to live with for maintenance, etc. I had an '07 for 3 years, nothing but fluids/filters and tires during that time. Just say "no" to the Land Rover  8)

My brother has had 2 Frontiers, nice enough, but really a utility truck with a design over 10 years old and it shows.

SFDude

« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:42 pm »
2010 X5 35d owner here. Bought this as a CPO vehicle in 2012. Serving us well except in the last year where we've spent about $5K in replacing parts/sensors. Still a comfortable enough ride over the years. Don't have experience with the latest generation of X5s but recently had a 3-series Diesel loaner (while doing the repairs above) and that was also evidence that the quality of the diesel engine still remains.

Don't have experience with regular gasoline BMW engines.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:28 pm »
You tell her Folsom said to stay the hell away from all three of those. Range rovers are garbage. I know a GM for a dealer who won't take them as trade ins unless under warrenty... and even then says don't do it unless necessary.

Nissan is ranked poorly for a reason.

Buicks are ranked ok, but I am not impressed with my Grandmothers. They do not feel good, and have lots of small poorly made this and that.

Reliable? Honda or Toyota. New? Honda at this point with the exclusion of the Highlander Hybrid. Compared to the Enclave the Highlander Hybrid is amazing for same price. It gets 30/27mpg !!! And it isn't a dumb buick! Seats for 6 passengers, or 4 with lots of storage.

morganc

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2018, 04:51 pm »
I have driven an X3 x35 for the last 7 years and have enjoyed it immensely, my only regret is not getting the X5 for a bit more room in the back.  The Audi Q5 is of course nice, but you can often get the X5 for a better deal.  Just make sure you get the 35 model with the larger turbo and not the 28 and that engine should be great in the X5. 

rikhav

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:05 pm »
The new BMW X5 Is actually looking to be a very good vehicle
Not sure about service costs in USA but am sure it should be much less then what's it is in my country India
The M50D, diesel is mighty powerful but comes with coil springs as standard
The other versions if I am not wrong have air suspension or atleast has it as option
The 3 ltr diesel is in two states, one with single turbo and other 50d with 4 turbos
Has a 3 ltr pterol motor too
Rear bench us quiet spacious and comfortable as well.
I think you should go to nearest BME dealer and check it out in flesh
Till that time this YouTube reveiw might help you

https://youtu.be/OM8P6kI4RaU

GregC

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:18 pm »
Having owned 3 BMWs in the past (and a current happy owner of a loaded 2005 M3 convertible with a manual transmission), I can tell you my other vehicle is a 2010 Acura MDX that I bought new in 2010.  The MDX has only cost me tires, brakes, and fluids and still drives and handles well.  I test drove an X5 when shopping for a SUV and I liked the MDX better (the X5 felt like it had more willowy handling).  I can also tell you from experience that BMW is more expensive to maintain unless you find a good Indy mechanic or do it yourself.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:32 pm »
X4 on order. (for my wife :()

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:44 pm »

A.  I could never afford a Rover.
B.  Your solution is the perfect Win-Win!

:thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:49 pm »

Don't have experience with regular gasoline BMW engines.

I've been buying high mileage 3- and 5-series BMWs since my new Volvo was stolen and totaled in 1985.   VERY good luck with all of them, and I ran then until the wheels fell off.  Normally a new BMW would be out of my price range, but the way I hang onto cars (see '96 Roadmonster wagon, above), this may well be my last car.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2018, 05:54 pm »
My son surprised us all by making a brilliant purchase. He found an 08 Lexus 400h. It's a 6 cylinder SUV hybrid. He gets around 30 mpg and rides in resplendent luxury. Reliability has been impeccable. Only downside, if you see it that way, is the premium fuel requirement.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2018, 07:25 pm »
Tom, on a round trip from central MO to the Green Bay area, my 525 averaged nearly 31mpg a few years ago.  And I consider speed limits to be "suggestions." Worst repair in 11 years was the alternator.

Premium fuel, yes, but it's barely a blip on the CC bill.   :thumb:

BRN

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2018, 07:38 pm »
I just got a CPO 2015 X5 for a good deal and it runs and drive great. Have a 2005 745Li that still runs great, but the V8 is a more costly engine and I would not recommend it. I just got rid of a 1997 528i that has served me well. I like the BMWs, though they can be a little bit more to fix, but if you go with one of their 6 cylinder engines you should have little trouble with it.

Downtheline

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2018, 09:22 pm »
I own a 2012 XD 35D - I love it. Feels luxurious without being opulent. It handles great, gets 30mpg on the highway. It tows trailers no problem with the aftermarket hitch. I don't really know about winter driving as I live in California. I bought a rear divider behind the rear seats for my two dogs, and a roof cage for when I need to take longer trips with wife, kid and dogs in tow.  It hope to keep it for a long time. Maintenance is expensive compared to a Honda or Toyota. My only problem so far at 75k miles were the glow plugs.   

I still have my 2001 330ci - I don't need it, but I love it.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 11 Oct 2018, 01:51 am »
UPDATE:   After driving what seemed like dozens of vehicles, we've ruled out the X5.   But not before using the test drive to scare the shit out of the cocky young salesman who wouldn't STFU.   Be careful of quiet old men...   :icon_twisted:

New preferences:   Toyota Sienna minivan (ugh!) or a Honda Pilot (2015 or previous), and my independent BMW mechanic has a 2012 Mercedes ML-350 for around $20K.  The Wife wants luxurious seating, room in the back for our 16-year-old grandkids, as well as trailering potential.  Never mind that at nearly 68 years old I want nothing to do with anymore camping and the 2,000 lbs of shit she usually packs for camping trips.

Any thoughts on the Mercedes?

TIA

JakeJ

« Reply #18 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:09 am »
<snip>

Never mind that at nearly 68 years old I want nothing to do with anymore camping and the 2,000 lbs of shit she usually packs for camping trips.

<snip>

Agreed!  I make sure the "campground" I make reservations at includes room service.  :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 11 Oct 2018, 03:16 am »
And Wifi!