Rm 30C 6.5" Passive Radiator Replacements

rickkuy

Rm 30C 6.5" Passive Radiator Replacements
« on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:47 am »
The foam on my 6.5" passive radiators is falling apart.
What are the best replacements?
I'm considering the PR's at Parts Express-- any better ideas?

G E

Re: Rm 30C 6.5" Passive Radiator Replacements
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2018, 12:45 pm »
This happened with my pair as well. You could get them refoamed by a competent speaker technician

I decided to do the Series II upgrade which eliminates them. And you get a superior sounding set of speakers.

Here is the procedure with pix

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=137131.0

rickkuy

Re: RM 30C 6.5" Passive Radiator Replacements
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2018, 02:21 pm »
Thanks G E.
I considered re-foaming, but the Parts Express PR's are only $14 each, so that seemed like a simpler option.
My concern is that the X-max is only 8mm, and from what I understand, you want your PR's to have approx. double the ability to move air than the active drivers.
I've just read a little about the Series II upgrade, but don't really have time at this stage in life to embark on a project like that.
Another thought would be blocking off the 6.5" radiator holes and installing a 10" PR in the cut out on the side (which is blocked off on mine).
Thoughts?

ZAKski288

« Reply #3 on: 22 Sep 2018, 03:17 pm »

Another thought would be blocking off the 6.5" radiator holes and installing a 10" PR in the cut out on the side (which is blocked off on mine).
Thoughts?

That’s  basically the Series II upgrade for the RM-30C speakers.

https://www.css-audio.com/online-store/CSS-APR10-10-Passive-Radiator-p110031744

Good luck Zak
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2018, 06:59 pm by ZAKski288 »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2018, 03:57 pm »
Thanks G E.
I considered re-foaming, but the Parts Express PR's are only $14 each, so that seemed like a simpler option.
My concern is that the X-max is only 8mm, and from what I understand, you want your PR's to have approx. double the ability to move air than the active drivers.
I've just read a little about the Series II upgrade, but don't really have time at this stage in life to embark on a project like that.
Thoughts?

As long as you had the option of altering the PR mass to adjust tuning, and as long as you took the required time to tune it correctly (I might use a tone generator), the mod you list above is a huge upgrade from OEM.  The "original" OEM version of all RM30 have severely too small a ratio of PR area to active woofer area.  The classic ratio is 2-1.  RM30 with only 2 active 6.5 has 1-1 ratio.  RM30 with active 10 have ratio of about .2-1. 

Anyone with RM30, play music with at least moderate bass.  Get down and look at the PR excursion, or just put your finger down there to get some sense of the excursion.  The cones practically want to fly out of the baskets, their movement is so extreme.  I don't know how the surround and spider last even a year.  I'm also virtually positive the version with active 10 needs about twice the enclosure volume for ideal performance.  (The mid sub enclosure is larger than that for a regular cone mid.)   

The only known down side to the single side firing 10PR is its tendency to rock the cabinet L/R.  Sandy Gross solved that problem with symmetrical PR on the L and R side panels.   

rickkuy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2018, 07:14 pm »
Okay-- I was thinking there would be some re-wiring/capacitor stuff involved, but of course that would only be the case if active drivers were being switched out.
So it's simply a matter of blocking off the 6.5" holes and popping in the 10" PR's? Does the side cover still fit with the 10" PR from CSS? Aesthetics are a concern as these are living room speakers.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2018, 08:06 pm »
The mod described here outperforms the 10PR.  This mod requires a more work than the 10PR.  It requires cutting likely 2 round holes for ports in the rear panel, if space exists, only behind the center(s) of the active 6.5s.  If the terminal boards prevent proper port siting as described (I suspect this is the case), ignore this advice unless you are wiling to move the offending terminal board(s).   

The benefit is to enhance reverberant field performance.  Flared port(s) centered behind the active drivers (with clear internal path from driver rear to internal flare, i.e. no damping material) output clean mid range which enhances reverberant field performance.  Straight ports are fail for this purpose because their turbulence yields distorted signal.     

Remove one of the active 6.5s and ship it to get the TS parameters.  I suspect a DIY person with the test gear would not charge much.     

Carefully calculate the cabinet effective inner volume.  Input to your preferred box software the TS specs for one mid bass in one half the actual IV to get the ideal port specs and resultant box tuning frequency.  Normal port length and diameter refers to a cylinder port with straight 90 degree corners. 

Dual flared ports require a different length compared to a straight port.  Use Precision Port's website to calculate dual flared port length (input cabinet internal volume and tuning frequency).  Insure there's nothing inside the cabinet blocking the specified port. 

Ideally you want one port per mid bass.  Buy one Cherne plumber's "test plug" per port, to help tune around bass modes. Plug ports as needed to change box tuning and tune around bass modes.  As long as you've got a foot between the rear panel and front wall this should improve performance.   

If, as I suspect, those two 6.5 prefer more cabinet volume: sealing the pedestal opening for the OEM 6.5" PRs, and air tight sealing the pedestal/cabinet coupling adds this volume to the OEM volume.

You have to "trim" about 1/4" from two opposed outer edges of the inner flare to fit through its mounting hole.     

ZAKski288

« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2018, 01:57 am »
 Does the side cover still fit with the 10" PR from CSS? Aesthetics are a concern as these are living room speakers.

[/quote]

You may have to remove the rubber gasket from the 10" PR. but the side cover should still work.

Woofer specification:  http://www.miscospeakers.com/speakers/LLC62W-8A.pdf
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2018, 04:42 pm by ZAKski288 »

G E

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2018, 10:51 pm »
Does the side cover still fit with the 10" PR from CSS? Aesthetics are a concern as these are living room speakers.

You may have to remove the rubber gasket from the 10" PR. but the side cover should still work.

Woofer specification:  http://www.miscospeakers.com/speakers/LLC62W-8A.pdf

The cover from the side firing active fits my passive 10".  in my case I needed to remove the rubber trim ring from the passive radiator to make it fit in the space for the active woofer.

The cover fits fine. They are off as I continue to fine tune the washer loading as they break in. I also have a new phono preamp with lots more bass so need to fine tune again. Once this is dialed in I will replace the trim covers