Recommendation for FM Tuner Refurb

gerchin

Recommendation for FM Tuner Refurb
« on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:01 pm »
Hi folks. You don't hear much from me except for an occasional vintage equipment giveaway. But now I'm soliciting recommendations for someone to refurbish my old Yamaha T-1 tuner.

Yes, I read the "Recommendation for an HD radio" thread https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=114973.msg1200720#msg1200720, but despite that I'd like this tuner to return to its previous glory. It's functional but in dire need of alignment and general rejuvenation.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Greg

daves

Re: Recommendation for FM Tuner Refurb
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:25 am »
Greg, bring it with you Sunday, come down to our listening session, and hand it off to Mike Mmissel. He takes care of much of my collection of gear.

gerchin

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:52 am »
Greg, bring it with you Sunday, come down to our listening session, and hand it off to Mike Mmissel. He takes care of much of my collection of gear.

Hmm ... not sure I can make it.

I met Mike Missell a while back when I donated an old Revox turntable and Sony ES CD player for him to refurb for some other forum members.

EL34 amp shootout, eh? I have a stock c-j MV50 ...

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2018, 02:42 pm »
Check out fmtunerinfo.com.  lots of vintage fm fanatics there.

popthinker

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2018, 07:42 pm »
I second the recommendation for Mike. He's helped me for the past few years and REALLY knows his stuff. Here's his contact info (from the St. Louis Audio and Home Theater Company List thread on this board):

Mike Missel
stereotechnician@gmail.com
314-704-3245
(equipment repair)

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2018, 08:23 pm »
Hey Now,

I have heard good things over on AK about:

http://www.radioxtuners.com/

--
Finest kind,
Chris

daves

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2018, 09:10 pm »
RadioXtuner is one of the best tuner techs in the country. It just boils down to how much your tuner is worth, and how much you are willing to spend.
If I had a Marantz 10b, a Day Sequerra, or a premier McIntosh MR71, I would turf it to Mike Z in San Diego. The $800 plus surcharge would readily be covered at sale time.

RadioX in Michigan would get my primo HhScott, REL precedent, and Rhode Schwartz.

Mike would get all the other hifi and midfi tuners, including my Yamaha tuner.

The calculus on performance/cost/shipping leans heavily toward local.

gerchin

« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2018, 09:53 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have to think about how much to spend on a 40 year old tuner. Though finding a modern tuner with anything like its performance gets squarely into the high-end stuff, and the local signal quality probably doesn't justify it. Don't know quite what to do.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2018, 04:43 pm »
I personally don't know a ton about tuners, but based on what I just read about the T-1 at fmtunerinfo and the average recent ebay sale price of the T-1 (less than $100), I would absolutely have no hesitation in taking it to Mike Missel. He is very good at what he does. Mention you heard about him here and he'll take good care of your equipment (not that he wouldn't anyway..but I digress)

gerchin

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2018, 05:31 pm »
... based on what I just read about the T-1 at fmtunerinfo and the average recent ebay sale price of the T-1 (less than $100) ...

The fmtunerinfo.com prices are very old. Right now ebay has several for sale between $90 (in rough condition) and $220. (One is listed at $195 with $100 shipping.)

The T-1 is a pretty good tuner. I used to pick up Cedar Rapids FM stations in St. Louis with just a dipole.