New Kismet ++ Monos Owner

wmmack

New Kismet ++ Monos Owner
« on: 24 Aug 2018, 02:22 pm »
Hello Group,

I had been doing some research on affordable amplification over the past year or so. Odyssey was a company that always stood out and was at the top of my list based on the reviews that I had read.

I met Klaus at the Newport/Irvine Audio Show on June 2nd. Klaus is a very gregarious and charismatic man that loves talking about the technical aspects of audio equipment/system design, application of equipment, and the emotional connection that should be derived from listening to music played through an audio system that is designed and set up properly. Plain and simple, there should be a goose bump effect at some point in the listening experience.

I discussed my system issues and desire to upgrade. (Klaus felt sorry for me, as my Aragon 8008BB had a blown left channel since April 2018. So, I had no music in my home.)

After talking to Klaus, I placed my order for a pair of Kismet ++ Monos in the Stratos black cases, Kismet Boards, Quattros/TS premium Cable, WBT's in, 16k SC caps off board, and a pair of Groneberg power cables.

I had an opportunity to listen to the the Odyssey system/room at the show and I was very impressed with the overall sound of the system. There was a synergy in the presentation that beautifully displayed. 

My Kismets arrived on August 13th. I immediately inserted them into my system that day and began playing music. They have been playing music 24/7 since that time. I'm at approximately 240 hours of continuous operation. During the day, the volume is elevated and at night the volume is very low as to not disturb my wife and children.

Note: I am running the balanced inputs to my preamp since the preamp is a fully balanced design. Klaus is not a fan of using the balanced inputs as they can be too precise and take away from musicality that RCAs provide.

Needless to say, I am extremely happy with the sound of the music being played through my system. I am going through the burn in process and I am very impressed already. I called Klaus to let him know of my joy and satisfaction and he stated, "if I'm happy now, I will be going something to the effect of  "Monkey Shit bananas" in a few months after the extended break in period." I have no doubt that I will be, as I'm already giddy with joy. I'm loving life right now!

My system is currently as listed below:

Emotiva XSP-1 Generation 2 Preamp
Teac NT503 USB DAC/Network Player
Odyssey Kismet ++ mono amps
KEF 107 Ref 1 (circa 1986), yes 32 yrs old
Earthquake MKIV Supernova 15" Subwoofer
Asus TP500L laptop running JRiver 21
Groneberg Power Cables for amps
Signal Power Cables for preamp, DAC, and subwoofer

Klaus advised me the Kismets will reveal the short comings in my old KEF107s and I should also consider a change in the preamp.

I will upgrade my speakers at some point and consider the preamp change.

I also had the pleasure of meeting and talking to Al Tran at the show. He graciously offered me the opportunity to come by his home
and listen to his system which utilizes Odyssey amplification/electronics and speakers.

Thank You

Randy

Re: New Kismet ++ Monos Owner
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2018, 03:16 pm »
When you decide on a new preamp you don't need to go any farther than right here on Audio Circle.  https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/buffered-preamps/ldr300-v25-buffered-preamp/

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2018, 03:53 pm »
Nice. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Klaus or Al Tran but hope to someday.

I have a Khartago stereo and its been fantastic, even though my system is in the early stages of a complete rebuild, the Khartago has elevated everything which makes adding future Odyssey parts an exciting proposition.

Personally I'm going with a Candela as my preamp but I have heard great things about the Tortuga Randy mentioned. Depending on your aesthetic you really can't go wrong.

Maybe next year when Klaus shows in Cali I'll make the 8 hour drive and ambush him with new banners and graphics.  :icon_twisted:

AlTran

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2018, 04:16 pm »
wmmack, I will have an audition tonight. I warn you that if you come by & better be prepared to spend $$$. I'm sure you will contact Klaus to place order for preamp & speakers. 

wmmack

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2018, 12:40 am »
Randy, Thanks for the suggestion.

wmmack

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2018, 12:42 am »
Monk, thanks for the suggestion. Hope to see you next year at the show.

wmmack

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2018, 12:43 am »
wmmack, I will have an audition tonight. I warn you that if you come by & better be prepared to spend $$$. I'm sure you will contact Klaus to place order for preamp & speakers.

Al, I can't make it this evening but in the near future, I will call you to set up a visit.
Thanks