Absorbers under Costco canvas?

BobC

Absorbers under Costco canvas?
« on: 20 Aug 2018, 02:21 pm »
So I'm thinking about building some DIY absorbers.  I had the idea of buying some canvas prints from Costco.  You know, the ones where they'll print an image of your choice on canvas and stretch across a wooden frame.  Was thinking I could fill it with Owens Corning 705, and even build it up and frame the edges.

I see some vendors sell absorption panels with art on them...so thinking it would offer similar performance.

Any thoughts on the ability of ink printed canvas absorbing sound?  Would it reflect instead?

My wife doesn't like the idea of simple burlap panels....but I think I can sell her on the right art.

Bob

Charles Calkins

Re: Absorbers under Costco canvas?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2018, 03:41 pm »
So I'm thinking about building some DIY absorbers.  I had the idea of buying some canvas prints from Costco.  You know, the ones where they'll print an image of your choice on canvas and stretch across a wooden frame.  Was thinking I could fill it with Owens Corning 705, and even build it up and frame the edges.

I see some vendors sell absorption panels with art on them...so thinking it would offer similar performance.

Any thoughts on the ability of ink printed canvas absorbing sound?  Would it reflect instead?

My wife doesn't like the idea of simple burlap panels....but I think I can sell her on the right art.

Bob
             Get rid of the wife.

Cheers
                Charlie

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2018, 03:44 pm »
Get the art panels from GIK or others instead. Win-win.

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2018, 04:02 pm »
Love them....but on a shoestring budget....so looking at DIY.

BobC

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2018, 04:43 pm »
So are those GIK panels ink printed canvas?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2018, 06:02 pm »
So are those GIK panels ink printed canvas?

No. They are cloth so the absorbing actually happens!!

BobC

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2018, 06:08 pm »
Are you implying that inked canvas would not absorb?  That is my original question.

Photon46

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2018, 07:17 pm »
Jon Risch had devoted an article to the question of DIY acoustic panels and fabric some years ago. If memory serves me correctly, he said that burlap was the only DIY low cost option that worked well across the broad audio frequency spectrum. Tighter weaves like canvas do not work as well.

Here's an update:https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/tweaks/174817/original-diy-bass-trap-recipe-updated

jpm

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2018, 07:46 pm »
I suppose plan B could be to find someone with talent to turn DIY panels into custom art works. Depending upon the level of talent and complexity, this could be accomplished for as little as the cost of beer and pizza!

mikeeastman

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2018, 10:19 pm »
I used a light cotton material to cover my panels and my wife tie dyed them.  She got to pick color and design, I got to treat the room.
 Jeff Headlock who designed the panels said that fabric would be transparent  enough to work fine.

When she gets home I ask were we got the fabric.

you can see pics in my gallery.

artur9

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2018, 11:02 pm »
If you can breathe through the material supposedly that's acoustically transparent enough.  I don't think I'd be able to breathe through canvas.

Spoonflower has a suitable fabric and will print your art onto it.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2018, 10:44 am »
I bought some lightweight fabric in oriental and musical prints from Joann Fabrics.  Not artwork, but nicer than plain cloth.

BobC

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2018, 11:52 am »
Thank you for the advice.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2018, 12:18 pm »
I used grill cloth for mine at the first reflection points.

Corner bass traps were covered in leopard print!

We have cats.  Figured we might as well celebrate that.

The cats celebrate by scratching bass traps frequently.  The face cloth is cheap and easy to replace with more staples.

For a more formal listening environment, I would imagine benefits would be reaped with what you suggest.

Maybe less than a pure absorber, but SWMBO rules apply!

MarvinTheMartian

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:05 pm »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2018, 07:54 pm »
I used a light cotton material to cover my panels and my wife tie dyed them.  She got to pick color and design, I got to treat the room.
 Jeff Headlock who designed the panels said that fabric would be transparent  enough to work fine.

When she gets home I ask were we got the fabric.

you can see pics in my gallery.
I checked your gallery. Your wife does nice artwork.

But, do you live in a yurt?

mikeeastman

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2018, 08:32 pm »
Thank you. No I don't live in a Yurt, my listening room is a modified Hogan, which is an eight sided traditional Navajo structure. If you look in my gallery in the The Acoustics Circle 2 you will see the floor plan for the room.

youngho

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2018, 02:20 am »

Bob

Canvas is likely to mostly reflect sound above a certain frequency range, probably starting in the midrange.

BobC

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:47 pm »

artur9

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2018, 09:55 pm »
I used that thread to make my absorbers.

Instead of cutting wood (no tools) I used canvas stretchers as the wood frame.  Works pretty well as long as you can pull the fabric tight enough.