Need info for connecting subwoofer to Synergy 300/Transcendence EC system.

EaRich

• Great music & a jiggling fishing pole = priceless!
Hello Frank, Mary, Dean, and the AVA gang!

It's been a long while since I've been in touch but I've "peeked" at the A Circle from time to time while enjoying my AVA Synergy 300 and AVA Transcendence 7 EC amps. 

First, I would like to publicly thank AVA for the wonderful "extra special" service that you guys provided me in purchasing my Synergy 300 amp, and upgrading my Transcendence 7 EC preamp when my financial situation was a bit tedious!   I'm not sure how many other audio shops would have been so flexible and patient!  When you hear other people talk about the excellent service and personal touch that AVA provides - don't take it as hype  - it's the REAL THING! 😄

It has been a good 12 to 13 years since I've had my subwoofer hooked up to my 2 channel stereo system (it wasn't the system I have now) and I need advice on connecting it to my current system.  That system is:

-  AVA Synergy 300 amp
-  AVA Transcendence 7 EC preamp
-  Marantz CC 4003 CD changer
-  Musical Fidelity v90 dac
-  Pioneer PL 560 turntable
-  B & W Nautilus 805 speakers
-  Polk Audio PSW 140 Subwoofer
-  Audeze LCD2 headphones

I plan to add some Schiit to the system 🤣 (Schiit Audio Mani phono preamp and Asgard 2 headphone amp), and hope to find a used, inexpensive Oppo blu-ray player as a better CD transport.

Anyway, the last time I had the subwoofer in my system, I used the "speaker level" input/output connectors on the Polk.  This time I want to use the "line level" input to connect to the system.

Some time ago, I came across a post by Wayner explaining the best way to connect a subwoofer to your system but I have not been able to find that post.  As you see from my photos, I'm connected to the (kind of old) Polk PSW 140, but the Polk instructions shows a diagram of RCA "Y" cables coming from the preamp "pre out" with one end running to the power amp's input ports, and the other end (with female connectors) excepting the cables from the subwoofer.  Is there a port on the back of the Synergy 300 that I can just plug into?
[Note: I currently have severe osteoarthritis in both hips...right now, it is very painful for me to bend down and get behind the amp to see the rear of the amp, and I can no longer find a photo of it online]

All this time I haven't give my view of the (amazing) performance of the AVA Transcendence 7 EC and Synergy 300 in my system for two reasons.  One, I do not have a "sophisticated" history of great components to compare these to (in my space).  Two, if you look at the attached photos, you'll see my speakers are not at their best placement due to my apartment being just too small!  Even though the system does sound better than great, and I get great enjoyment from it, I know I would get much better stage presentation, airiness, and "more good aural stuff" if I had another foot or so on each side of the B&Ws, and was able to add another foot or so between the tweeters.  Even still, I've never enjoyed listening to music in my apartment as I do now!  I am constantly surprised by the "exposure of instruments" in music that I've listened to for decades (and I haven't even hooked up the turntable yet!).  The brushes of the drummers are more "raw" dragging across the skins. Listening to classic salsa music, I can much better distinguish a stick scrapping across a guiro percussion instrument, and maracas and shekeres being shaken. 😀  I can better follow the bongocero playing alongside the congas.  I'll give more thoughts at a later time.  Bottom line - AVA is the way to go for great sound, great quality, great prices, and best of all, better than great customer service!  OK, enough...
Any input appreciated. 😁

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Is this the Thread from Wayner you mentioned?

Diggin' the Conga drum.  :thumb:

EaRich

Thanks for the link JerryM!  I actually have seen this but thought there was info about doing the line level connection.  I see that I had the best connection a decade ago but, unfortunately, that option is not available to me at this time.  I just need to know where to connect the cables from the subwoofer's line level inputs.  [It would take some effort to find my other set of cables for the best configuration]
Yep Jerry, the drums keeps good karma close... 8)  Thanks again!

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
I believe your Transcendence preamp has two sets of output RCA connectors.   One set should be connected to your Synergy 300 power amp.  Just connect the other set to the line level inputs on your sub and enjoy.  (Or you could buy an ABX box which has a subwoofer out, along with full independent subwoofer volume control, and a switchable in / out main speaker high pass filter).

Dan

Wayner

All AVA preamps have 2 sets of outputs. However, unless the amps are identical, there is always a chance that the inferior amp may leave an impression on the superior amp. Try it this way and see how she sounds.

I am running a very complicated set up right now in my vinyl room with 2 AVA preamps running 2 separate speaker systems, but both systems share a "surround" (sort of) pair of JBL S109 Aquarius IVs. I use an input switcher to assign the inputs from either system to the second amp, which is the AVA 170 (built in the Dynaco 120 chassis) with no detectable degradation.

I have no subwoofer with these systems.

'ner

EaRich

Thanks guys for your feedback!  :)  You gave me the answer I needed to hear, to plug (the subwoofer cables) into the preamp.  [Yes, I could have just got down on the floor and pulled and tugged with my amps and cables and figured it out, but with osteoarthritis in both hips and knees, every little move I make is very painful.   :(  So, I need to move as little as possible!]  So, I'll just get behind the preamp.

Wayner, what does this mean?
"All AVA preamps have 2 sets of outputs. However, unless the amps are identical, there is always a chance that the inferior amp may leave an impression on the superior amp." What identical amps are you speaking of?  Also, what negatives am I dealing with (until I find those other set of speaker cables)?  Thanks again for your help...I should have some better bass in the system today!   :icon_lol:

Wayner

It means that 2 different amps (different quality, different impedances) can electrically interact with each other and maybe not for the better. Its a trial and error thing. Hook it up your way and have a listen.....

EaRich

Happy Sunday AVA gang!  And - happy DOUBLE BASS VIBES!   :thumb:

I was able to "creep around" just a bit ago and connect the subwoofer to the Transcendence 7 EC. [Had to take a photo of the back so I could feel where to connect to...]  Right away I had to turn the volume way down (on the sub) and then I grabbed Chico Freeman's "THE ARRIVAL" from Tidal and did some adjusting by ear.  This album has just Chico on tenor sax and Heiri Kanzig on double bass - a great disc for helping find the "true" sound of your bottom frequencies!   :D  I've got it sounding very nice and natural right now...WOW!  This is the first time listening to my (almost) complete DREAM STEREO SYSTEM (still have to clean cover, mount/ align new cart, and hook up turntable)!!!  :D  It's been a long time and journey getting to this point!  A BIG THANKS again to Mary and Frank for making this dream from 1970 finally hitting my ears!
WOW OH WOW!  WHAT A BEAUTIFUL, NATURAL SOUND!  Yes, as you can see from the photos, I still have a bit of positioning and adjusting of the subwoofer but I was pretty quickly able to dial-in a natural, non-boomy sound on the bass (it helps that I studied the upright back in the day and have owned two of them - I know how they sound up close).   :thumb:   The "wooden" pluck of the strings, the tactical sliding up and down the fingerboard, the double stops!   Have to listen to some "arco" to feel the rosen grabbing the strings (got some Mingus for that)!
Well, gonna break away, back to streaming the Newport Jazz Festival live on TuneIn radio.  Later this evening, I'll find some Victor Wooten, Bela Fleck, Saint-Saëns’ Symphony No. 3, 'Organ Symphony to help dial in the bottom, then on to some classic Salsa, and Steely Dan to have some aural fun!  Thanks again Wayner and the rest for your input.  "Heaven, I'm in heaven..."  :popcorn: