Mission Impossible: Fallout

wushuliu

Mission Impossible: Fallout
« on: 2 Aug 2018, 05:07 pm »
This was the only film of the summer I had any anticipation for. And I was not disappointed. Even if you're not a huge Cruise fan, go see this movie. It is the best of the franchise and is as good as - no, BETTER - than any Bond I have seen in recent memory. Fallout is an almost perfect spy/action/thriller. The plot is clear, the performances are excellent, and the action is some of the best you'll see right now. And Cruise goes all out, giving 200%. At my theater the audience actually gasped at some of his stunts. Cause it's him on the motorcycle, it's him leaping the buildings, it's him hanging from AND FLYING the damn helicopter. In. Sane.

Fallout also does an excellent job tying together the strands from films 3 and up. In fact, there are a whole mess of homages and subtle nods. From Ving Rhames caught in a, um, reverse medieval pose to French Connection chase imagery to using elements of the original TV shows theme music that haven't been done before. Fallout is a complete vision formed start to finish by Cruise and his favorite go-to director McQuarrie, and it shows.

If you're some old grump who says 'they don't make them like they used to', go see it. If you're some Marvel/DC/Comic junkie who needs something to tide over until whatever, go see it (if only to see how good Henry Cavill can be without a cape). If you want to see an iconic actor prove why he became an icon in the first place, go see this movie.

As far as I am concerned, this is the movie of the summer.

nature boy

Re: Mission Impossible: Fallout
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2018, 05:52 pm »
Great action film. Solid plot, super chase scenes, and a dramatic (believable?) ending.  Saw it yesterday, may see it again.

NB

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2018, 06:34 pm »
Wushu!

Thanks for the review, I'll give it a try this weekend.

Thanks,
Anand.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2018, 09:59 pm »
Nice review!!! Me and my 12 year old enjoyed it !!
I’ve been a Tom fan since Risky Business! :thumb:

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2018, 10:01 pm »
Thom Fooze is crazy....

https://youtu.be/QLFRGj-PPNI

Phil A

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2018, 10:54 pm »
Will it make sense to someone who has not seen the previous three releases?   :popcorn:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2018, 11:39 pm »
Will it make sense to someone who has not seen the previous three releases?   :popcorn:

It stands on its own. It was non-stop action. Motorcycles, cars, jumping out of planes, helicopters. Awesome in Imax!!

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2018, 05:47 am »

Yes, though I think it really helps to see MI 3 since all the ones after that connect from there. It's also an *excellent* movie, thanks to Philip Seymour Hoffman giving one of the great villain performances ever, RIP.

stlrman

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2018, 12:56 pm »

underdog64

« Reply #10 on: 5 Aug 2018, 04:12 am »
Just seen it with my wife.We loved it 5 out of 5 stars.Kinda long -2 hrs 35 minutes but never felt too long while watching it. :thumb:

qdrone

« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2018, 05:02 am »
Cruise has stunt doubles but they must sign non disclosure agreements and not talk about the movie.Yes he does some of the stunts but not all. Going to check it out next week.

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2018, 08:02 am »
Cruise has stunt doubles but they must sign non disclosure agreements and not talk about the movie.Yes he does some of the stunts but not all. Going to check it out next week.

I don't think anyone thinks he could do literally ALL the stunts (obviously not a vehicle crashing, etc.) - unless you're saying they're lying about the stunts he does. Cause uh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0aZKbpe1Y

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GhSM9n-H0

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OYdWtyClg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwRKox0Kp0

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 5 Aug 2018, 03:47 pm »
While I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise at all, I do like the MI series, as least the few I've seen.  So, I'll probably see this.  I also like the new Bond series, but tend to like that better than the MI series.

soundbitten1

« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2018, 05:05 pm »
Took the grandkids to the movie theater and wanted so much to see Mission Impossible but thought Won't you Be My Neighbor? would be better suited for them. No regrets, it was a great documentary with a great message.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2018, 07:50 pm »
Watched MI: Fallout this weekend and thought it was awesome!  :green:

I was curious to see if anybody else thought the sound track (in parts) was well done as well. I'm probably going to get it.

Best,
Anand.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2018, 07:03 am »
I liked it but felt it was a bit of a letdown after the previous one.  They turned up the action to 11 but the plot didn't follow.  Overall it was good but I felt they wasted Henry Cavill as a stock, mustache-twirling villian.  Such as a shame given his talent and range.  For better performances check him out in The Tudors and a better cut of spy film, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2018, 10:44 am »
Wow...just saw this one this past weekend. I don't know what more anyone could want out of an action flick. Sometimes offerings in this genre just try too hard, under the constant pressure to out-do a previous entry in the franchise. I never felt Fallout was trying to do that. It was just well-crafted, interesting, and didn't insult my intelligence as a viewer. Granted, you do have to suspend disbelief a bit here and there, but with action flicks I'm cool with a bit of that.

Overall, an immensely fun ride.