Turo/ Rent your car out

stlrman

Turo/ Rent your car out
« on: 6 Jul 2018, 02:55 pm »
I’m signing up tonight!!! :thumb:
My wife’s SUV as well . $65 for Subaru Forrester

2010 3 series awd —- will try $75 a day,  maybe

Anybody on board with Turo yet.
This could change the rental car landscape !!  Avis ain’t renting Porsche.Jags, Mercedes etc...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Turo/ Rent your car out
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2018, 03:18 pm »
Not bad as a rental option, but do I want people driving my car the way I've driven rental cars?  No, just no.  The repairs from unseen damage would likely suck up any profit.

This model has been used for decades with ghetto crack addicts who rent out their car for a few days to get money for drugs.  Only people that desperate did it.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2018, 04:01 pm »
No normal insurance will cover renting out your car. So you pay use some site's insurance. (How do you know it will actually cover the damage? plus liability?) Getting sued is no fun, PLUS you global liability policy certainly may exclude the coverage from renting your car out. So IMO the renting out is a huge liability you have no idea about how your entire asset portfolio is up for grabs to make a few bucks? Really a bad idea.
You rent out your car, the driver hits a bus stop full of kids. The driver blames the car. You get sued for $140,000,000 by sixteen different people and no one is helping. YOU are just meat on a hook. Even if you win, the legal costs will leave you broke for years.
To actually cover yourself will cost way more than you can ever make in frivolous rentals.
Your actual danger from lawsuits goes up a thousand times what it was.

There are folks who have started a company to rent out exotic cars. But they are just as troubled by insurance problems, and do all they can to cover themselves. It cost a LOT. And only works with full time and big scale rentals.

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2018, 04:05 pm »
Allow a stranger to drive my car? I don't even let my wife touch my stereo!  :lol:

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2018, 04:47 pm »
This is a horrible idea, unless you can afford to let people destroy your property and you do all your own maintenance. I can see this being perhaps a good side business for a small auto shop owner.

TomS

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2018, 05:58 pm »
No way the numbers make sense given the liability assumed.

orientalexpress

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2018, 06:57 pm »
I have a neighbor who rent out there brand new Honda Civic on weekend thru Turo ,the first 3 month everything turnout great,i remember he brag about he haven't make a car payment yet out of his pocket  :popcorn:,a couple month later he car got booth it in another city ,his car got notice from The bridge tollbooth for non payment. His got 2 flat tires also parking tickets from another county.After i see all that,No way i rent out my car. :lol:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2018, 06:59 pm »
Allow a stranger to drive my car? I don't even let my wife touch my stereo!  :lol:

:lol:  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2018, 07:59 pm »
:lol:  :thumb:

My wife jacked up 2 of her last 4 vehicles. The vehicle she has now (her most expensive one, at that), we bought brand new. Literally, within a week she destroyed the entire passenger side. She would be a great Turo renter. She does not touch my stereo. :lol:

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2018, 08:06 pm »
or this, bummer ...

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-what-happens-when-someone-on-turo-crashes-your-a-1792048817

But so the owner expects the car to only depreciate maybe $3k after a month of constant driving? High end cars are not high mileage machine. I think it might be perfectly reasonable the value given. However the difference to me is whether or not an Audi R8 is available at the price they listed, with the same mileage, or at least within a good approximation. If not the adjuster is completely wrong. Also, if it's impossible to buy one on the open market then there should be a clause for exceptionally rare vehicles. But I wouldn't know if any insurance places do that.

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2018, 08:19 pm »
But so the owner expects the car to only depreciate maybe $3k after a month of constant driving? High end cars are not high mileage machine. I think it might be perfectly reasonable the value given. However the difference to me is whether or not an Audi R8 is available at the price they listed, with the same mileage, or at least within a good approximation. If not the adjuster is completely wrong. Also, if it's impossible to buy one on the open market then there should be a clause for exceptionally rare vehicles. But I wouldn't know if any insurance places that.
My point was it's not always what it seems (easy money)  :green:

I studied this quite a bit as a frequent renter, as I do enjoy driving nicer cars on someone else's dime. My daughter used them and other peer car share options a lot while living car-less in downtown Chicago. Her experiences were generally good, but no drama to have to stress test it.

There are many horror stories here in Florida with regard to insurance disputes on both sides of this, with lots of crazy tourists on joy rides. It's still a gray area, so you better understand exactly what the policies say, both as owner and renter, because the insurance companies don't do anyone favors.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2018, 08:45 pm »
Yes, with exotic cars the depreciation may be as fast as the mileage. You are only helping to own it, not making money. If you want to make money get a Honda CR-V.

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2018, 12:30 am »
My Dad's saying used to be - "never let anyone borrow your car or your toothbrush."