strange issue with my IDA-6 - loud clicks after a few hours of listening

envydd

Hi

Have a newish IDA-6 bought in spring18. Since the last few days, after 2-3hrs of listening, I start hearing audio drops followed by loud clicks from my speakers. Has anyone seen this issue before?

One evening, I stopped my music but the amp was on, and I heard the loud clicks from the speakers 2-3hrs later at night (which was scary!)

fredgarvin

Do you know any Priests?

envydd

Waiting for nuprime priests to respond. In the mean time I thought maybe someone here might have a clue. Maybe it’s summer and the amp is getting too hot 😂

avta

you haven’t mentioned your system parts but you might try disconnecting any inputs and see if the noise is still there.

envydd

Ida6 w Bluetooth adapter and kef Q100. I disconnected everything else.

Phil A

envydd

Thx Phil. Could be, very good point. The IDA6 has an sampling rate converter (to 384) and makes BT sound very good, hence use it while working. Maybe have to switch a chromecast audio instead.

I am going to try playing something from a mac using TOSLINK and see if it goes away and report back.

envydd

This happened even on the TOSLINK input. Only happening on the left channel, after 2hrs. Also I see the amp has gotten very hot (ambient temp of room is 79F).

Not guessing ....

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Have you tried with different speakers to make sure that the source is the amp?  Maybe some minor short in the speaker's crossover?  Just basic troubleshooting to make sure the culprit is where you think it is.

envydd

I am scared to put my LS50s through this amp. This is my den/study system with my Q100 which I tested with my 200W HD-AVA (DAC10+IDA16 guts) and its close to the LS50s.

ok ... I cooled the amp down and the music was nice and warm like before, without clicks. I think its the heat management. The IDA-6 has very little ventilation (compared to my HD-AVA) and the summers here in CA are quite mild in comparison!

Wrote an email to support to see what the team thinks about it. I recorded the clicks and sent them. Thx for the suggestions.

avta

Try to be patient difficult as that is at times. You may have a defective amp so it might be best to disconnect everything and leave it unplugged to power until you get to connect with support.

Phil A

When my IDA-8 (which is in the office system and is just connected to the PC via USB) is one for a bit, it gets pretty warm (but not what I would call hot) in the top middle.  I have it sitting on top of the (tower) PC case and there is 9 inches of space on top (or a hair more) before the bottom of the desk.  There is also nothing much (the back corner of the left side is near the side of the desk) on the sides and plenty of space behind it to the back of the desk.  The case is compact so it does get very warm.  My (Class D) Mivera PurePower SE I currently have in the main system never gets much above room temperature (and the speakers it drive, Thiel 3.7s, are torture for many amps).  It has lots of room inside the case and nothing much around the outside.  I am very cautious about stacking components and always leave enough space, especially for components like an amp.

envydd

Thx for all the replies. Jye responded and asked me to invoke their service Helpdesk as my amp has developed some issue. Super quick NuP customer service on a Sunday evening.