Seeking advice for replacement speakers

djdube525

Seeking advice for replacement speakers
« on: 18 Jun 2018, 10:14 am »
I'm looking to replace my Onix Mini Strata speakers that were recently damaged. The room they would go into has some limitations but is roughly 14'x14'x8'. I'd like to keep the overall height to not much more than 40" (you'll see from the pics below that the mini's were a bit tall given the constraints. Trying to keep the budget around $3K but could stretch a "smidge" more.

The room does double duty between 2CH home theater/TV and music.

I am drawn to speakers that are on the warmer side of neutral. I have a problem with overly resolving, bright, detailed speakers - after a few minutes, my head starts to hurt and I want to leave the room. Love lush mid range, especially female vocals  . Tend to listen to blues, jazz, Americana, folk, indy music.

Most likely will be pairing the speakers with a Marantz SR7012 which will be replacing a Marantz SR7000 that was also damaged.

I'd be curious to hear from any former Onix Mini Strata owners... I actually enjoyed these a lot. Sad to see them go. Based on the above, any recommendations from the Salk lineup?

Initially, I'm thinking the Salk Song3, but open to other suggestions. The Song Towers look to be a bit on the tall side.

Edit: How the heck did this post upside down? I tried flipping the image around and reposting but that didn't work. Hopefully, y'all can image the pic rotated 180 degrees. :)

Edit #2: Wind Chaser fixed the image (Thank you!) two posts down... removing mine here.

« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2018, 04:23 pm by djdube525 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Seeking advice for replacement speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:44 am »
As I recall you have a sub, so I'd heartily recommend Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's: $300/pair; 2-way monitors; 53-20,000 Hz in room; 91 dB/w/m in-room, 25-200 watts continuous; 8 ohms.  I own the originals (16 years) and still love them: musical; superb imaging; very coherent; do not overemphasize treble; full bodied; not fatiguing.  IMO 'true' resolution comes from superior imaging.  Have used them for music (where they excel) and AV (plenty dynamic enough).  They frankly have made me wonder several times why I commissioned $2000/pair floor-standers.

Monitors would allow perfect height and help to avoid bass boom in that tight corner.

Salk offers fantastic veneer (the 170's low point) and are great people if that's what you're after.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2018, 01:43 pm »

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:33 pm »
As I recall you have a sub, so I'd heartily recommend Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE's: $300/pair; 2-way monitors; 53-20,000 Hz in room; 91 dB/w/m in-room, 25-200 watts continuous; 8 ohms.  I own the originals (16 years) and still love them: musical; superb imaging; very coherent; do not overemphasize treble; full bodied; not fatiguing.  IMO 'true' resolution comes from superior imaging.  Have used them for music (where they excel) and AV (plenty dynamic enough).  They frankly have made me wonder several times why I commissioned $2000/pair floor-standers.

Monitors would allow perfect height and help to avoid bass boom in that tight corner.

Salk offers fantastic veneer (the 170's low point) and are great people if that's what you're after.

I do currently have a sub (HSU Research TN1220HO) but it too will be part of the collateral damage sitting in the rear corner where it's overly loaded. To be quite honest, I'm considering moving away from a separate sub (the room is a converted bedroom) just to keep things "contained" in a small room. If I do go with a separate sub(s), then likely will put them towards the front of the room, but would need a smaller audio rack to accommodate. It's a long story, but looking to find something that is reasonable "replacements" (perhaps "comparable" or "in-line" are better terms?) with what I had before. I know where you're going and do appreciate the sentiment.

I am considering a couple other options (opted not to mention here as this is Jim's board) both in tower and monitor format. Monitors + stands come close to taking the same floorspace as floor standers, albeit there's probably more control on height.   

DEP14

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:57 pm »
I'm looking to replace my Onix Mini Strata speakers that were recently damaged. The room they would go into has some limitations but is roughly 14'x14'x8'. I'd like to keep the overall height to not much more than 40" (you'll see from the pics below that the mini's were a bit tall given the constraints. Trying to keep the budget around $3K but could stretch a "smidge" more.

The room does double duty between 2CH home theater/TV and music.

I am drawn to speakers that are on the warmer side of neutral. I have a problem with overly resolving, bright, detailed speakers - after a few minutes, my head starts to hurt and I want to leave the room. Love lush mid range, especially female vocals  . Tend to listen to blues, jazz, Americana, folk, indy music.

Most likely will be pairing the speakers with a Marantz SR7012 which will be replacing a Marantz SR7000 that was also damaged.

I'd be curious to hear from any former Onix Mini Strata owners... I actually enjoyed these a lot. Sad to see them go. Based on the above, any recommendations from the Salk lineup?

Initially, I'm thinking the Salk Song3, but open to other suggestions. The Song Towers look to be a bit on the tall side.

Edit: How the heck did this post upside down? I tried flipping the image around and reposting but that didn't work. Hopefully, y'all can image the pic rotated 180 degrees. :)

Edit #2: Wind Chaser fixed the image (Thank you!) two posts down... removing mine here.

Song 3, AT midrange, raal tweeter.

In addition to Jim doing great veneers, he makes a heck of a speaker.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2018, 05:11 pm »
I've had songtowers and recently received my Song3's (base version). The Song3's are much more resolving and have more bass. The Songtowers are very smooth and musical (not that the Song3's aren't, just they are more revealing). Size wise, they're maybe a couple inches shorter, but they're wider and deeper. If that photo is your listening space I would recommend the Songtowers and use the extra money for a sub, something like a Rythmik L12 or F12 (they have some on their clearance page). I think that might work better in your space and the Songtowers are fantastic speakers.

djdube525

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2018, 06:28 pm »
I've had songtowers and recently received my Song3's (base version). The Song3's are much more resolving and have more bass. The Songtowers are very smooth and musical (not that the Song3's aren't, just they are more revealing). Size wise, they're maybe a couple inches shorter, but they're wider and deeper. If that photo is your listening space I would recommend the Songtowers and use the extra money for a sub, something like a Rythmik L12 or F12 (they have some on their clearance page). I think that might work better in your space and the Songtowers are fantastic speakers.

I'm assuming your song towers were the base model? When you say revealing... would you say it presents more of an airy/"spatial" quality to it, or more... I hate to say "edgy" but... It's kind of like headphones... I tend to prefer the Sennheiser sound, but some of the lower models, while having similar sonic characteristics, sound like there is a "veil" over them, where as the 650s and 600s when properly amped have this "enveloping" quality to them that I enjoy.

FWIW... here are the specs of the Onix Strata Mini (which is more to say the Song3 or SongTower would be smaller than what we have):

● Four-Way System; Woofer Slot Loaded
● Drivers: One 1" Planar-Magnetic Tweeter, One 8" Planar- Magnetic Midrange, One 5.25" Cone Mid/Woofer, One Powered (350 Watts) 8" Cone Subwoofer
● Sensitivity:  86 dB/W/M
● MFR:  27 Hz - 35 kHz ± 3 dB
● Crossover Frequencies:  650 Hz, 4.1 kHz; Mid/Woofer High-Passed at 80 Hz
● Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
● Dimensions: 47" H x 11.5" W x 17.5" D   

For the Salk dimensions... I'm assuming the W and D dimensions are the base (little wider & deeper than cabinet)... is that correct?

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:57 pm »
I'm assuming your song towers were the base model? When you say revealing... would you say it presents more of an airy/"spatial" quality to it, or more... I hate to say "edgy" but... It's kind of like headphones... I tend to prefer the Sennheiser sound, but some of the lower models, while having similar sonic characteristics, sound like there is a "veil" over them, where as the 650s and 600s when properly amped have this "enveloping" quality to them that I enjoy.

FWIW... here are the specs of the Onix Strata Mini (which is more to say the Song3 or SongTower would be smaller than what we have):

● Four-Way System; Woofer Slot Loaded
● Drivers: One 1" Planar-Magnetic Tweeter, One 8" Planar- Magnetic Midrange, One 5.25" Cone Mid/Woofer, One Powered (350 Watts) 8" Cone Subwoofer
● Sensitivity:  86 dB/W/M
● MFR:  27 Hz - 35 kHz ± 3 dB
● Crossover Frequencies:  650 Hz, 4.1 kHz; Mid/Woofer High-Passed at 80 Hz
● Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms
● Dimensions: 47" H x 11.5" W x 17.5" D   

For the Salk dimensions... I'm assuming the W and D dimensions are the base (little wider & deeper than cabinet)... is that correct?

I had the original ST's and they were excellent. I sold them due to a move and life change. I knew one day I'd get Salks again when the time was right. Then Jim released the Song3's and I was in a good place so that's what I went with. I would say the presentation is more airy and lighter, but more also detailed and textured. There's maybe a little less weight in the mids with the Song3's compared to the ST's, but its a cleaner, airy sound. However, if you want great sound and not "over detailed" you can't go wrong with the ST's. If it were 100% music I'd say Song3's all the way, but since it looks like these would be used for music, movies, etc., and with the given budget, and listening area the ST's with a great sub may be a better fit IMO.

I think the measurements are the speaker, but maybe the height might include the plinth. I'm not 100% sure.