Happy Birthday To Me!

adydula

• Restricted
Happy Birthday To Me!
« on: 13 Jun 2018, 12:32 am »
Ha...so after owning a bunch of cans and really like my Beyers, T90, T1 and DT1350 and having 10+ amps.....

I was asked what I want for a b-day gift....narrowed it down to a new Seiko watch or a set of HD600's!!

LOL.....the 600's will be here on Friday!

Now, why did I do this....to be continued!!

Alex
 :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Happy Birthday To Me!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2018, 01:49 am »
Alex,

Happy birthday. Enjoy your present.

I just had a birthday, too.

Michael

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2018, 11:57 am »
Well thanks and Happy B-day to you as well!!

I have never heard any Senn's in my many years of this hobby!!

So with all the others I have listened to and owned I thought at 69 yrs now
it was about time I tried these!! Ha!

The 600's being a "classic" for so many years and the low cost and its being "accurate" and less veiled or dark that its
bigger brothers seems to be a good place to start foe me!!

Alex

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2018, 12:24 pm »
Sold my Senns and got AT's.  I want to go back to Senn"s.  happy Birthday (Mine is today as well).  :birthday:

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2018, 12:25 pm »
Happy birthday!  I am in two weeks.

I thought the HD598's I had were some of the most comfortable phones I have ever worn.  Velour pads for the win!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2018, 12:40 pm »
Happy birthday Alex and enjoy your gift :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2018, 05:43 pm »
Well they just arrived and have about 3 songs on them!!! lol!

Golly Gee running off the Schitt MB Bimby and the Bottlehead Mainline....these really sound pretty good.

For $286 bucks they are indeed really nice, good presentation....seems pretty neutral but on the warm side with
my first impression....

Bass is lacking compared to my higher dollar cans, but its not as bad as I thought....

Very comfortable, seems like a set of cans for easy listening.

I also think these have a slight veil.....I know some say the HD650 has this senn veil but these to me have this as well
but not as much, sounds abit recessed.

I will try these across all my amps and see how much if anything these might change in their presentation.

Life is good!
Alex

Note: These cans with their sound signature make listeing to all my old Chicago cds very enjoyable!! Ha! THe treble comes across well controlled and presented....really nice for really "bright" brassy recordings....

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2018, 06:23 pm »
Switched to the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and wow, what a difference, its made for these cans.....absolutley grand.

Listening to Bob M's Demo disk I got from our friend Chris aka Lonewolf and the lack of bass seems naught....with well recorded stuff
its there and very nice to boot. The Theme from Pink Panther is really neat, bass thumps, brass, in your face....and it comes across pretty dang good....I would say very balanced top to bottom.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:08 pm »
Going back and forth with several amps these cans just shine with the BH Crack....maybe its 120 ohm impedance and its being designed for higher impedance cans...and the cans seem to be changing in sound....gosh only an hour but its getting better...soundstage is openig up and gosh the articulation is really awesome...stings, drums, cymbols, swishes etc...really able to hear all thats there...again for $286 on could be very happy with these and a nice BH amp like the crack...

I can see where these would be great for mixing...they are very articulate, details, details and more details...the veil seems not to be there like when I first tried them...maybe thats with my thousands of Beyer hours in my head.

Whats not to like here?? Problem is I am listening to the whole song and not jumping around to prove how good something sounds!
lol

A great B-day gift!@
Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:18 pm »

Note: These cans with their sound signature make listeing to all my old Chicago cds very enjoyable!! Ha! THe treble comes across well controlled and presented....really nice for really "bright" brassy recordings....

As far as pro and con go, it's almost impossible to make a 6** series Senn sound harsh. The oft-criticized 'veil' will really show their stuff with (the many) recordings that are too 'hot' up top.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jun 2018, 08:38 pm »
When I go back to my Beyers, the immediate difference is they are more comfortable, but these are brand new and the clamping force is still fairly high but should loosen up over time.

The other immediate difference is the soundstage on the Beyers is wider...more so than the 600's.
But when listening to the 600's after a few minutes this seems to become not an issue....maybe because these image so well in the lesser wide soundstage.

Piano keys are so ivory like, brass, trumpets etc are very well reproduced...nothing harsh here at all IMO.

Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jun 2018, 09:38 pm »
Adjust the headband so it just touches the top of your head (most people put them on too tight) and you should be fine after maybe a short break-in period.

gefski

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jun 2018, 11:48 pm »
Switched to the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and wow, what a difference, its made for these cans.....absolutley grand.

Listening to Bob M's Demo disk I got from our friend Chris aka Lonewolf and the lack of bass seems naught....with well recorded stuff
its there and very nice to boot. The Theme from Pink Panther is really neat, bass thumps, brass, in your face....and it comes across pretty dang good....I would say very balanced top to bottom.

Alex

Did I read you have a Mainline AND a Crack? Though I know people love the Crack with Senns, IMO the Mainline trumps it in every way with any cans. We have our Spring meet at Bottlehead every year, so get to hear all their stuff, including anything they're experimenting with.

Anyway, just an IMO, thanks for the interesting posts. You're having too much fun to read this stuff anyway. :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2018, 01:54 pm »
gefski…

Yup had the crack for almost 2 years and the mainline about three months +...and for the most part the Mainline is definitely the amp....if I had only one this is it.

But for some reason the BH Crack seems to just make these hd600's shine....I have too many amps and its confusing at times but I am close to going back and just comparing these two with these cans...

The T1s do the same thing for me with the Mainline...who knows maybe its the impedance of the BH crack at 120 ohms I think that mates well with the 300 ohm senns vs the 600 t1s...but we know the impedance changes with frequency so this may be all in theory ...lol

Any way this is still fun to me and I am so thankful my hearing at 69 still allows me to listen farily well!!

Happy fathers day to all!
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2018, 01:56 pm »
Listen to Joshua Bell and Chris Botti....

At Home with Friends cd, Porgy and Bess....I Loves You Porgy

The trumpet / horn in this are just spot on...really, really nice with these cans.
The violin in the opening is really "sweet".....

some of the nice tonality and musical reproduction I have heard with cans below $300!

Very nice...

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2018, 03:51 pm »
After almost three weeks of listening to these HD600's...I can see why they have been around so long..there just that good all around.
I have run thru 10+ amps and three dacs and they all work well....

The one setup with these HD600's that still seem IMO to really shine is the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball...even against the Mainline I have and
really like...maybe its the tubes (NOS RCA 6AS7G, coke bottle and a Bugle Boy Amperex 12AU7)....its just magic.

The missing or mediocre low bass and mid bass are there very well and well integrated and balanced.

Highly recommend these for a low cost entry into Headphones..less than $300!!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2018, 09:23 pm »
The journey continues!

Been using my Schitt Vahalla 2 amp with the HD600's for a few days now after a long non-use period combined with the Bimby MB dac....gosh its really, really good as well as with
that other amps, ie BH Mainline and BH Crack with Speedball!

I was thinking of selling off most of my amps and sticking with the BH's which are both stellar, but the Schitt stack really works well...considering the cost...

If your wanting to get into this crazy pastime...A Schitt V2 for $350 + Schitt MB Dac $250 = $600 + HD 600 $268 = $868.

Less than a grand and your have a really nice setup!

No DIY or soldering....just plug and play.

Highly recommended!
Alex