Oppo question

mikeeastman

Oppo question
« on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:43 pm »
A friend is looking to upgrade his system, he want to do 2 channel audio and surround video. He is looking at getting an oppo, he has an amp, Dac and speakers. and his question is does he need anything else?

RDavidson

Re: Oppo question
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2018, 05:37 pm »
I suggest taking a look at the Oppo manual. I recall it being quite comprehensive regarding various setup methods.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2018, 10:41 pm »
By an amp do you mean a 2 channel amp or a receiver?

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2018, 10:54 pm »
Thanks,
 He is going to start with a 2 channel and then add more amps for the theater. He would be using the oppo as the pre and video processing and maybe add his external to the mix down the road.

A_shah

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2018, 11:07 pm »
Both Oppo 203 UHD as well as OPPO 205 have the functionality to be used as AV processor with suitable 5 channel amps such as emotiva &  others , best is to download and read the manual

A_shah
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2018, 06:23 am by A_shah »

RPM123

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2018, 11:33 pm »
Your friend had better jump on one now through the OPPO website, because June will be the final production run. Otherwise, he will have to pay an exorbitant price on eBay or AudiogoN. Definitely for the Model 205, but the 203 may easier to come by.

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jun 2018, 06:11 pm »
A friend is looking to upgrade his system, he want to do 2 channel audio and surround video. He is looking at getting an oppo, he has an amp, Dac and speakers. and his question is does he need anything else?

I have a system setup with just an OPPO 203 and Parasound 5-channel amp (and TV & speakers).

The DAC(s) in the OPPO are fine but it also has digital stereo output via coax and TOSLink if that's what the DAC takes.

oem-wheels

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jun 2018, 07:20 pm »
I use the Oppo205 as the hub but use a preamp for the volume control..