Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood"

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2018, 06:07 pm »
? 'Serious' cinema lovers are his biggest fans. He's considered a genius in France, a darling of Cannes.

Maybe you're talking about Kevin Smith? :lol:

I'm not really talking about the critics, I'm talking more about regular film viewers.  American film watchers.  France is crazy sometimes.  e.g. - their obscene and inexplicable love of Jerry Lewis.

wushuliu

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2018, 01:07 am »
One trick pony is more what I think than genius.  I'm a big fan of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but that's about it.  Some of the rest were ok, some not even good.  Inglorious was  decent, Django simply dumb.  A gillion years ago in Terrell, Tx. I had a very poor chemistry student with a bad attitude named Eric Bishop.  He portrays much the same angry young man now that the name is Jamie Foxx- just a lot richer.

You could say the same about Tom Cruise. Could be why they became good friends after making Collateral. Nobody gets scary angry on screen like Tom Cruise. Cruise would be amazing in a Tarantino movie.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2018, 03:57 am »

I really enjoyed R Dogs and Pulp Fiction.  I also liked Four Rooms and Natural Born Killers.

True Romance is the high water mark for me.  Hopper, Walken, Slater, Gandolfini, Pitt, Kilmer, Jackson, Oldman.

The scene in the trailer with Walken and Hopper might be my favourite movie scene ever.  Walken and Hopper in amazing form.

I despised Natural Born Killers but I agree about True Romance- it was a masterpiece!  Walken & Hopper chewing scenery was epic fun to behold.

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2018, 01:37 am »
Latest "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" update: AL PACINO has joined the cast in Tarantino's newest star-studded film. Pacino will play Marvin Schwarz, Leonardo DiCaprio's character's agent, making this his first collaboration with Tarantino. Dating back to his first feature film, 1992's "Reservoir Dogs," Tarantino has always cast movie stars he grew up watching. Pacino fits the mold of A-list actors who rose to fame in the 1970s.

This is going to be one weird film. Can Tarantino keep Pacino from chewing up the scenery? We'll see.

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2019, 04:08 pm »
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood trailer - looks like a lot of unpredictable fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELeMaP8EPAA

Coming to theaters July 26th.

WGH

Re: Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood"
« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:54 pm »
'Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood' is a Sergino Corbucci Italian western (“the second-best director of spaghetti westerns in the whole wide world”) set in 1969 Hollywood. To understand you will have to watch "The Great Silence". Quentin Tarantino lovingly crafted this film with non-stop pop culture references with movie marquis, movie posters, film clips, and dialog including mentioning Corbucci, who was a real life director. The film blends fact with fantasy, hence the "Once Upon a Time" in the title.

The film takes it time to develop and there is a lot crammed in the almost 3 hour running time but it doesn't seem that long, although I am a Tarantino fan. The film is watched at two levels, one is the story and the other are all the cultural references. At the Welcome Diner after the movie our waiter loved it but his under 30 year old girlfriend thought it was long and boring.

'Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood' has classic dialog, slowly increasing tension with occasional flashes of Tarantino violence, the portrayal of 1969 Hollywood is perfect.

To quote a NY Times review:

"At the Cannes Film Festival in May, on the night before Quentin Tarantino premiered his new film “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood,” I ran into the Sony Pictures chairman Tom Rothman. Tarantino had already asked the press not to spoil any of the surprises in the sprawling film they were about to see, but Rothman couldn’t resist one little tease.
“This movie,” he told me with a significant grin, “has the greatest. Ending. Ever!”

I couldn't have said it better.

Wayne

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Note: if you have already seen 'Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood', check out the glossary, but it does include spoilers so wait until later if you haven't seen the film:

A Pop-Culture Glossary for ‘Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood’
Quentin Tarantino’s film is filled with references to TV shows, movies and other totems of midcentury Los Angeles. We explain who’s who and what’s what.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/30/movies/once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-glossary.html

mmurt

« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2019, 07:59 pm »
I liked it a lot as we walked out of the theater.  I liked a lot more the next day, so did my wife as we absorbed everything about the movie. :thumb: :thumb:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2019, 10:10 pm »
A well made film with excellent performances by all the actors. Very entertaining, which is all I ask of a movie theater film.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2019, 10:28 pm »
We liked the film.  It takes some time to get going though.  Decaprio and Pitt worked well together.  The movie was a blast from the past for me.

charmerci

« Reply #29 on: 2 Aug 2019, 03:33 pm »
My question is - the one reason I don't watch QT films is because every sentence has F... in it. It's really tiresome and completely distracting for me. Does this movie do that?

WGH

« Reply #30 on: 2 Aug 2019, 05:14 pm »
F**K YEA!
But seriously I didn't notice it, the dialog is how people talked in 1969. There was more swearing in his westerns and films with tough guys because that is how people talked back then.

Stay away from David Mamet's play Glengarry Glen Ross, Martin Scorsese's 'The Wolf of Wall Street' and David Milch's 'Deadwood' although David Milch has stated that all that swearing was authentic based on history and diary's he read.
Deadwood Wikipedia: "it was decided that the show would use current profanity in order for the words to have the same impact on modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870s."

charmerci

« Reply #31 on: 2 Aug 2019, 05:21 pm »
F**K YEA!
But seriously I didn't notice it, the dialog is how people talked in 1969. There was more swearing in his westerns and films with tough guys because that is how people talked back then.

Stay away from David Mamet's play Glengarry Glen Ross, Martin Scorsese's 'The Wolf of Wall Street' and David Milch's 'Deadwood' although David Milch has stated that all that swearing was authentic based on history and diary's he read.
Deadwood Wikipedia: "it was decided that the show would use current profanity in order for the words to have the same impact on modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870s."

I saw GGR on cable TV.... for a while. Yeah, I couldn't watch much of it.

mick wolfe

« Reply #32 on: 2 Aug 2019, 05:47 pm »
No, not like the usual Tarantino offering in regard to language. Actually an intriguing story line carries the weight here. ( not over the top violence and language) Plus it was from a period I can relate to and he did a great job of depicting it. Not a Tarantino fan for the most part, but this one clicked for me big time.

mick wolfe

« Reply #33 on: 2 Aug 2019, 06:10 pm »
F**K YEA!

Deadwood wore me out mainly because of the Al Swearengen ( Ian McShane ) character.  He became known by one critic as "Al Swear Engine".

Wind Chaser

« Reply #34 on: 2 Aug 2019, 06:16 pm »
No, not like the usual Tarantino offering in regard to language. Actually an intriguing story line carries the weight here. ( not over the top violence and language)

Thanks, I’m more inclined to check it out now. I gave up on QT a long time ago. Pulp was an amazing one off. He hasn’t done anything since that I’d consider half as good.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #35 on: 2 Aug 2019, 07:22 pm »
Samuel L Jackson isn't in it, so there's half the amount right there!  :no_speak: