If we were to offer mods for a DAC....

jackox

Re: If we were to offer mods for a DAC....
« Reply #60 on: 24 May 2018, 04:21 pm »
Looking at Chinese DACs I found few brands that could be of interest:

Gustard
LKS (LKS Audio MH-DA004)
Audio GD
Matrix
Holo Audio

There is plenty more but I think the price should be contained around under 2.5k.

I would be quit interested in a LKS Audio MH-DA004 Modwright solid state work

modwright

« Reply #61 on: 24 May 2018, 10:51 pm »
The LKS unit does look interesting.  I have to be honest though, I am leary of products that are designed and made in China from small independent companies. What about drivers, updates and support?  I don't want to have customers spend a lot of money modifying a product if it is not supported in terms of firmware updates, technology etc.  I don't want our customers to have an out of date unit that cannot be updated, at least in terms of technology.

Having said that, I know nothing about this company in particular.  I am working on a  Musical Paradise D2 DAC right now and it is nicely made and our mods are pointed, worthwhile and make a very nice improvement.

I was able to pursue a mod of the scope that we did for the Oppo units because I knew that we had excellent support from Oppo.

Actually, looking at each of these brands, the prices are very good and the feature set and designs look fantastic. However, again I just don't know anything about these companies.

Can anyone give me more information about the longevity of these brands and products?

Thanks,

Dan

Phil A

« Reply #62 on: 24 May 2018, 11:01 pm »

mav52

« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2018, 12:43 am »
https://positive-feedback.com/industry-news/exasound-network-audio-server/

Nice unit and $14,000

"
 Item                       Description                                                                               Unit Price
 PPDM v.1.0      PlayPoint DM Dual Mono D/A converter and Network Audio Server             US $14,000
                       Finishes: Silver, Black, Zebra

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2018, 06:23 pm »
Dan,

I asked about VC because I have heard two differently modded MP-D2 DACs (different tubes and caps) that had the stock VC. I really like this DAC but it’s weakest point is the stock VC.

I don’t have much experience with VCs. My preamp uses a 64 step Khozmo. Would this fit inside?

Michael

Dan,

Here are the dimensions of the Khozmo 64-step VC:

The dimensions are
W56mm
H46mm
L60mm

Regards,

Michael

jackox

« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2018, 07:24 am »
I don't know about the LKS hardware (or the company) but would imagine they use a generic driver (the driver is here - https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/l-k-s-audio-mh-da004-dual-es9038pro-flagship-dac-dsd-input-coaxial-bnc-aes-ebu-for-dop-usb-i2s-optical-audio-decoder.html)

http://www.mu-sound.com/files/MH-DA004.pdf

Indeed, most chinese audio gear companies will use generic drivers.

I still own a fully functional Shanling CDT100 which had some modifications done.
I do believe a DAC should have a long life span and if build properly, can be repaired by a skilled technician.
It might be difficult to get spare parts if these also integrate some streaming hardware.

As for the software, if it is generic drivers with the XMOS or the AMANERO (some use this USB input tech) there is nothing to worry about. Not more than a EU or US company than will end support on a legacy product.

Dan I understand your concern about customer support.
Ultimatly we customers must accept that support cannot be for decades which digital products when complex hardware needing software compatibility is involved. Driver less solutions solve that kind of issues though.

modwright

« Reply #67 on: 29 May 2018, 07:20 pm »
I appreciate that and need to learn a bit more about these drivers to insure that this is in fact the case.  The biggest problem is tech obsolescence.  The hardware is typically fine, but if the drivers are not available, it is no good!

Thanks,

Dan

billc

« Reply #68 on: 31 May 2018, 07:33 pm »
Dan,

Per the previous posting about DAC options, especially from China...
I have the Audio-Gd R2R-2 DAC, which is a ladder resistor DAC, because, well, I always wanted to hear how an R2R DAC sounded.
This model sounds fantastic!  Full disclosure, most folks run this unit on Non-Over-Sampling (NOS), but i think the sound is better with the Oversampling (OS) engaged.  Actually, I am stunned at how good this sounds.  Not as good as your Oppo 205 mod, mind you, but really excellent, and under $1K US. 

That said, having purchased a decent amount of gear direct from China over the years (but mostly, as you can attest, I buy US), most units are one-and-done designs, and I have not seen a whole lot of longevity and stability in product production, in general.  Not saying this about Audio-Gd in any way, because I have zero experience with them until a week ago.  The much heralded designer, Mr. He Qinghua, known as Kingwa, produces high quality gear at affordable prices. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiogd/1.html

Dan, you mentioned you did not have much experience with the list of DACs from China, so I thought i would mention that my experience with this DAC is quite good.  BUT your comment about needing consistently and reliability available gear is well taken.  You might want to reach out to the firm and see what their plans are...

Bill C

modwright

« Reply #69 on: 31 May 2018, 09:41 pm »
Thanks Bill, I am aware of this company and have heard good things about the designer!  This has good potential!  Thank you for suggesting this, I will investigate further!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #70 on: 8 Jun 2018, 04:23 pm »
Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital Preamplifier and DAC

Has anyone heard this unit or have any experience with it?

The specs indicate that it has all of the digital Horsepower that I would want to make a TRULY GREAT tube DAC, less the analog stage. This is the kind of product that would suit the Universal Tube Mod product that I am thinking of.

Please let me know if anyone has experience with this. DSD, MQA, Dual SABRE Ref. DACs and a very low price!

Thanks,

Dan

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #71 on: 8 Jun 2018, 08:45 pm »
Dan,

Per the previous posting about DAC options, especially from China...
I have the Audio-Gd R2R-2 DAC, which is a ladder resistor DAC, because, well, I always wanted to hear how an R2R DAC sounded.
This model sounds fantastic!  Full disclosure, most folks run this unit on Non-Over-Sampling (NOS), but i think the sound is better with the Oversampling (OS) engaged.  Actually, I am stunned at how good this sounds.  Not as good as your Oppo 205 mod, mind you, but really excellent, and under $1K US. 

That said, having purchased a decent amount of gear direct from China over the years (but mostly, as you can attest, I buy US), most units are one-and-done designs, and I have not seen a whole lot of longevity and stability in product production, in general.  Not saying this about Audio-Gd in any way, because I have zero experience with them until a week ago.  The much heralded designer, Mr. He Qinghua, known as Kingwa, produces high quality gear at affordable prices. 

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audiogd/1.html

Dan, you mentioned you did not have much experience with the list of DACs from China, so I thought i would mention that my experience with this DAC is quite good.  BUT your comment about needing consistently and reliability available gear is well taken.  You might want to reach out to the firm and see what their plans are...

Bill C

I had the top line Audio gd preamp and amp, the build quality on both units was outstanding.  And I'm pretty jaded about stuff like that.  I'd still have it but I moved away from SS gear and toward tubes.  But for SS, it sounded great.

modwright

« Reply #72 on: 8 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm »
Thanks for that!

sruffle

« Reply #73 on: 9 Jun 2018, 11:45 pm »
The Pro-Ject DAC looks like it has tremendous potential.  I would be very interested in seeing what could be done with this.

modwright

« Reply #74 on: 10 Jun 2018, 08:28 pm »
I have a unit slated to be in hand by Tues.  I am very intrigued with the affordable possibilities here.  It has PHENOMENAL the features and I am confident that we can make it great without a huge coset!

Thanks,

Dan Wright, President
ModWright Instruments Inc.

KLH007

« Reply #75 on: 10 Jun 2018, 10:33 pm »
The Project S2 has impressive credentials, do you think you can do much inside, or more likely add an external box?

Nick V

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jun 2018, 11:04 pm »
I was considering pulling the trigger on the Project S2 for my desktop system, but I prefer sending a balanced XLR signal to my studio monitors.

Also I need two sets of outputs. XLR for the studio monitors, and RCA to the sub.

There doesn't appear to be much room inside, any chance of adding XLR outs?

rbbert

« Reply #77 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:22 pm »
The Pro-Ject DAC looks like it has tremendous potential.  I would be very interested in seeing what could be done with this.
It looks a lot like the Oppo Sonica feature set without the streaming

modwright

« Reply #78 on: 11 Jun 2018, 03:13 pm »
Yes it truly does! This is why I am so interested!

Dan

modwright

« Reply #79 on: 11 Jun 2018, 04:04 pm »
It is almost certain that any work will require another box.  Ideally one of similar size to sit over/under or beside the DAC.

I agree, there is no room inside the unit, but if the bones are there, then we can do a lot!

Dan