SOLD! Pass Labs XA30.5

brj

SOLD! Pass Labs XA30.5
« on: 5 Mar 2018, 06:04 am »
Sold!

---
Hello!

I'm offering for sale a Pass Labs XA30.5 for $3100, plus shipping from Colorado and any financial transaction fees. The serial number is 22206.

This XA30.5 is one of 2 that I used in an active speaker system, with the first unit already sold.  I'm only selling because I moved on to other Pass Labs amps.

I have used the unit in a smoke-free, pet-free home, where it has worked flawlessly since I obtained it in December of 2012. I've cleaned the unit well and can find only very minimal marks on it. Using a flashlight at an oblique angle, I could find a few faint marks on the rear handles, and 2 pin prick size marks on the heatsinks (that I thought were dust originally). I only ever used the (preferred) XLR inputs, though you can tell that the RCA inputs have seen light use. I added Teflon tape to the inside edges of the steel top panel that mate to the chassis underneath, as well as 2 constrained layer damping (CLD) tiles, in order to reduce any "ringing". (The rest of the chassis is built like a tank.)

Nominally rated at 30W into 8 Ohms while still in Class A operation, it will transition into class AB operation somewhere above that and continue providing power up to a Stereophile calculated 153W into 8 Ohms.

I've tried to take detailed photographs that capture all of the angles, but if you'd like to see more, please let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate in a timely fashion. If you have any questions, please ask!

Thanks for looking!

Links of potential interest:

Sale unit includes:
  • (1) XA30.5 amplifier shipped in OEM packaging
  • (1) installed fuse, plus (1) spare
  • (1) pair of XLR shorting pins
  • (1) manual
  • (1) stock 18AWG power cord (nothing fancy)

Pictures:

« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2018, 05:12 pm by brj »

brj

Re: FS: Pass Labs XA30.5
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2018, 04:44 pm »
I had one potential buyer ask about the longevity of the caps, as many people have heard cap lifespans quoted as "15-20 years", so I checked with Pass Labs for their experience and thought it might be of general interest:

The 15 -20 year figure comes from the cap makers.... as a statistical average when the caps run max voltage, max current, max temp (75 - 85 degrees C typical) at 100% duty cycle.  Long story short we're just now starting to see high usage Aleph power-amps from the early 90-92 potentially needing caps.  [26-28 years]  Aleph power amps stressed the caps on all fronts, especially temp.  Their un-vented cases ran 60+ degrees C at the surface and no venting at all.  Caps on your XA-30.5 typically run about 20 degrees C cooler and well down on both voltage and current.

Given that my amp was built in May of 2009 and sent into Pass Labs for a complete servicing by the previous owner in April of 2011, the caps have a decades-long life ahead of them!

(I would also note that I've found Pass Labs service to be second to none - truly exceptional.)

brj

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2018, 03:05 am »
Price reduced...

brj

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2018, 04:14 pm »
Bump.  Price reduced.

brj

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2018, 05:10 pm »
Price reduced.