Dipole tweeters

Bumpy

Re: Dipole tweeters
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2018, 11:35 am »

Bumpy

« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2018, 11:37 am »
Those opposed tweeters are wired parallel with reverse phase on the rear tweeters.

Thanks

So if each driver is 8 ohms does the amp see 4 or 16 ohms?

Bumpy

« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2018, 11:39 am »
So then tweeters should have alnico magnets and paper cones?

Why did I know someone would jump on this :) That's why I said one example would be ........

Poultrygeist

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2018, 01:41 pm »
Thanks

So if each driver is 8 ohms does the amp see 4 or 16 ohms?

4 but it's a non issue

Bumpy

« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2018, 01:56 pm »
4 but it's a non issue

Sorry, I'm a bit lacking in understanding of electronics. My intuition tells me that 4 ohms is more difficult to drive than 8 ohms (lower volume), but having a pair of drivers puts back the volume to about the same as before.

How did I do?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2018, 01:52 pm »
Tweeters are a very easy load for an amp. My 3 watt SET doesn't know they're there.

Bumpy

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2018, 03:59 pm »
Just exploring all possibilities.

Has anyone used omni directional tweeters firing above the baffle, or indeed a non dipole tweeter firing upwards on top of open baffles. What are the pros and cons.

Cheers
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2018, 05:37 pm by Bumpy »

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
and holding in place the tweeter assembly to the magnet with 3 hot glue spots around its outside plastic case circumference?
I guess it would not be a compression tweeter then...  but it will be a dipole. Wonder if xover would have to be modified.

Bumpy

and holding in place the tweeter assembly to the magnet with 3 hot glue spots around its outside plastic case circumference?
I guess it would not be a compression tweeter then...  but it will be a dipole. Wonder if xover would have to be modified.

Sorry Manolo I dont understand what you are saying. Could you explain

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 9 Oct 2018, 02:39 am »
Just exploring all possibilities.

Has anyone used omni directional tweeters firing above the baffle, or indeed a non dipole tweeter firing upwards on top of open baffles. What are the pros and cons.

Your question is a bit confusing as omnidirectional is already non dipole... My take: if the speaker has a dipole tweeter, then it wouldn't make much sense to add a non-dipole tweeter, as the result will not be dipole any more. If the speaker does not have a dipole tweeter, then perhaps the first thing to try would be to face the second tweeter rearwards and wire it out of phase to simulate a dipole tweeter.

Bumpy

« Reply #30 on: 9 Oct 2018, 08:08 am »
Sorry John the topic has become a bit messy as my thoughts have developed.

I currently have 3 way open baffles with Saba Greencone tweeters and am looking to improve upon them or replace with improved tweeter(s) either located in the current location or mounted above/beside the panel

I started thinking dipole but in order not to miss an opportunity I am now considering omni directional tweeters like the Elac 4Pi, or front/rear firing monopoles. Anything goes providing it meets the following criteria

Approx 4 ohms
Approx 95 dB sensitivity