Cam Newton whining

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Cam Newton whining
« on: 30 Oct 2016, 11:56 pm »
Cam's post-game interview... says he doesn't feel safe on the field.

Lemme see, he's dressed in a pink sport coat, a red carnation/crustacean on the lapel, a checkered shirt, and a 1940's era hat with big feather sticking up.

He thinks he's not safe on the field?  Dammit, Cam, don't go to any clubs looking like that!   :peek:

Stercom

Re: Cam Newton whining
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2016, 12:19 am »
I think Cam can wear whatever he wants in the clubs. Has nothing to do with allowing linebackers to go straight at his knees while he is in the pocket passing.

fredgarvin

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2016, 06:29 am »
If he ever matures he'll be a force to reckon with.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2016, 10:20 am »
NBC commentators had it right.  It should be owner/coach complaining, not Cam.  He's being singled out for being young, athletic, and big.  When he complains the league's defensive players and officials will be gunning for him even more.

Stercom

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2016, 10:44 am »
NBC commentators had it right.  It should be owner/coach complaining, not Cam.  He's being singled out for being young, athletic, and big.  When he complains the league's defensive players and officials will be gunning for him even more.

If he ever matures he'll be a force to reckon with.

I think it says more about the officials maturity than Cam's maturity. Why in the world would the officials be "gunning for him"? Because he complains. Come on, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are the biggest complainers out there. The guy has done nothing more than set all kinds of records for quarterbacks and win the MVP last year. He deserves the protection the rulebook allows.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2016, 11:08 am »
Being in a distant corner of the country and playing for a less successful team keeps Phillip Rivers from being mentioned very often, but Phil "LIP" Rivers is by far the biggest crybaby in the NFL. Has been for many years. Watch him after every play charging the refs with his attempts to sway calls. OTOH, he might be the best QB playing today.
Rothlisberger is out now. So are Teddy Bridgewater and Tony Romo. Russell Wilson is playing injured. Cutler (so what, you say?) has missed a few games. What's so special about Cam's ankles? Nothing really - but he is a childish prima donna who needs to blame others for his failings. If the accolades and the "W's" were falling his way, there would be no problem.
Even 70 year old Wade Phillips can take a hit and bounce back without whining. Grow up, Cam!

Stercom

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2016, 11:40 am »
Being in a distant corner of the country and playing for a less successful team keeps Phillip Rivers from being mentioned very often, but Phil "LIP" Rivers is by far the biggest crybaby in the NFL. Has been for many years. Watch him after every play charging the refs with his attempts to sway calls. OTOH, he might be the best QB playing today.
Rothlisberger is out now. So are Teddy Bridgewater and Tony Romo. Russell Wilson is playing injured. Cutler (so what, you say?) has missed a few games. What's so special about Cam's ankles? Nothing really - but he is a childish prima donna who needs to blame others for his failings. If the accolades and the "W's" were falling his way, there would be no problem.
Even 70 year old Wade Phillips can take a hit and bounce back without whining. Grow up, Cam!
Haha.  Yeah,... :lol:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2016, 01:30 pm »
Cam is so big and has run/scrambled so often, and opposing Teams have discovered he doesn't just collapse at the first touch (like Eli), so they have to hit him hard enough to make sure he does go down. It adds up. The more often Cam does something spectacular to avoid going down or out-of-bounds when pushed, the worse it will get. Other Teams will get burned big time if they back off.

It has happened to other QB's through the years. Cam is just the latest.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2016, 03:07 pm »
My point was his clothes, combined with his comments made him look like a wimp.  When he said he wanted to be protected in the pocket, my first thought was "talk to your O-Line!"

Stercom

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2016, 03:14 pm »
My point was his clothes, combined with his comments made him look like a wimp.  When he said he wanted to be protected in the pocket, my first thought was "talk to your O-Line!"

What someone wears at a press conference has nothing to do with if they are a wimp or whether the rulebook was only meant for certain quarterbacks and not others. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2016, 03:36 pm »
What someone wears at a press conference has nothing to do with if they are a wimp or whether the rulebook was only meant for certain quarterbacks and not others.

Clothing choices, while they may betray certain aspects of a person's character, do not qualify or disqualify the opinions or position of the individual who chooses to wear them. OTOH, someone who has stood before a national TV audience in a flamboyant costume demanding respect may want to hold those choices out as a possible cause of his demands being rejected. Superficialities, unfortunately, are of tantamount importance to voting Americans. Cam Newton seems to be pretty slow in learning this fact. Perhaps he is just over-reacting to having to wear a uniform for work.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2016, 03:43 pm »
It's ironic for any professional football player to say they don't feel safe on the field. 

Stercom

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:01 pm »
So....don't complain or wear flamboyant clothing because you won't get calls, people will call you a wimp, say you don't deserve respect or deserve to get hurt because it's a violent sport.   Crazy crap. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:24 pm »
So....don't complain or wear flamboyant clothing because you won't get calls, people will call you a wimp, say you don't deserve respect or deserve to get hurt because it's a violent sport.   Crazy crap.

No, but if your post-game "performance" is designed to get public support, it was a dumb move.  ESPECIALLY in a blood-and-testosterone-fueled business.  Nothing to do with getting calls.

fredgarvin

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:25 pm »
I'm guessing you are alone in believing the refs have it in for him. No need to repeat that myth. His immaturity was on cringeworthy display in the Superbowl and continues this year. The pimp hat doesn't really help his cause.  :lol:

Stercom

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:29 pm »
Ok.   I think we have all made our points.  Peace. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2016, 04:55 pm »
He has really developed as a player, talent wise. Maybe he needs better advisors.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2016, 05:20 pm »
Seems like all of us, in our way, are commenting on the contrast between how he deals with success and how he deals with adversity and disappointment.I believe he has quite a ways to go on both counts.

The Panthers are rapidly becoming a long shot for the playoffs and unforeseeable for the super Bowl. I'm writing them off for this year even though there is a lot of mediocrity in the NFC. I think you have to figure one wild card from the East and probably Green Bay or Minn for the other. Maybe they should have kept Norman.

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2016, 05:22 pm »
Yo Cam...It's Football Damnit!  :roll:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2016, 09:34 pm »
He certainly wasn't very gracious following the Super Bowl loss.