Bought a video drone and I am returning it

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Bought a video drone and I am returning it
« on: 7 Jan 2016, 03:05 pm »
...and I haven't even received it yet.

I will post this here since photo/video is the only reason to buy this drone. The DJI Phantom Advanced is down to $800 and I bought it. Then I realized I can't really take advantage of it as I wanted to.

It is an amazing quadcopter, finally seems to be ready for primetime for a reasonable price. It can zoom very high very fast, follow you in your car, follow GPS waypoints, do cool 2K video with a stabilized 360 degree gimbal, avoid walls indoors via sonar. Amazing technology compared to a few years ago at this pricepoint!

Problems? I live in the city limits in the "most treed city in America" and this thing is loud. I saw a few videos that convinced me this was an amazing amateur video toy. It can also be useful for aerial inspection, surveillance, and observation. The biggest problems for me would be trees (too many in my yard to launch and train in my yard - I have come to realize that I have more trees in my yard than 98% of Americans, and sometimes I regret that), noise (it will always attract attention and likely annoy neighbors), helicopters (if I did get it launched above the trees it would be in space used fairly frequently by helicopters). I realized that I would have to use this pretty much always on a special trip to some wide open space. Then things are not nearly as convenient for me, and a video drone in those circumstances becomes much more expensive and less fun for me. I realized that all the cool videos show either a house in a sparsely populated new development, or way out in the rural farmlands, or on some athletic campus. I would love the drone to follow me down Independence Blvd/74 but it ain't happening as long as there is an FAA. In my dreams I could launch from my convertible, have it follow me down the road, and land in my convertible. I believe it could actually do this out in a rural area.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Bought a video drone and I am returning it
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2016, 03:14 pm »
Ahhh, but do you have a convertible?    :wink:

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2016, 02:05 am »

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2016, 03:33 am »
 :drool: 

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.     :lol:

Sooooo, WHY, then, do you need/want a drone?    :scratch:

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2016, 07:42 pm »
:drool: 

A simple "yes" would have sufficed.     :lol:

Sooooo, WHY, then, do you need/want a drone?    :scratch:

Hey, you have a car, why do you have all those cameras and lenses?

My convertible is my daily driver, it is leased and under a bumper to bumper warranty, so it is not my hobby (other than a tire buying hobby). And I have lots of hobbies like we all do, right?

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2016, 07:51 pm »
I have sent my drone back (unopened), for free, thank you Amazon Prime!

I do plan to get a drone in the near future when I can plan a little bit and free up some time for it. I think I will get one that is at least 4K when they go on another sale. Currently the one I want is the DJI Phantom 3 Professional priced about $1200. It has 2 major features that make it better than the Phantom 3 Advanced (was on sale for $800).

First it shoots 4K video, not the best 4K video but probably the best you can do for a non-professional video drone that uses a "real" camera.

Secondly, and I thought the Advanced had this feature, it has a much better battery with a rapid charger system. You still will want two or more batteries to do your flying because you only get 20+ minutes from a battery.

Serious drone enthusiasts will bring a small generator out in the field to charge their batteries   :weights:

I still want to launch and land the drone from my convertible though :)

andrewmr

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2016, 03:20 pm »

I still want to launch and land the drone from my convertible though :)

At speed no doubt.....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2016, 03:23 pm »
Is that Philips Place where the convertible is parked? 

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2016, 02:24 am »
Is that Philips Place where the convertible is parked?

Yes it is!

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2016, 02:25 am »

At speed no doubt.....

The DJI drone can now go about 35mph, so doable...45mph in sport mode (non-tracking).