McIntosh MHP1000 Headphones...One of the best money can buy ?...

Crossoverless

• Restricted
Some on other forums say these $2000 McIntosh headphones are one of the best money can buy! Has anyone heard these headphones yet?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
McIntosh equips are hype, these phones seems follow same way.
It already expensive as the Mac amps.

milford3

santacore

I heard these with their headphone amp at THE Show last year. It was on a table in their main demo room. The guy reluctantly let me give the headphone rig a listen, but wouldn't turn down the music in the room, even though there were little to no people in the room at the time. I remember it sounding good but not fantastic. When asked about the price I think he said around 4K. I laughed and walked out. Apparently they were not too concerned about exposing their headphone components compared to the speaker rig.

HPDJ

I had a pretty quick listen to these in NY at the Stereo Exchange the other day and....I was shocked to hear that they cost $2000. From looking at them I'd guess $600-700 tops because the build quality was not that great and actually kind of cheap feeling to be honest (so $600 is being kind). Felt plasticy and flimsy. Especially in comparison to my Audeze LCD 2's....which are on the heavier side as far as headphones go. Buy their weight has never bothered me much.

The sound of the MHP-1000's in my short time with them was too bright for my tastes. I'm particularly sensitive to anything tipped up in the highs and I MUCH preffered the sound signature of the LCD XC that I a/b'd with them. The Audeze's had more body and "soul" to the sound. The MHP's sounded fast, for sure... They were very clear. But I wanted some more bottom end and less power in the highs. I'm not a bass head... But I'm not interested in "neutrality" anymore... That's a bit boring for me with some of the music I listen to that has lots of electric bass and live drums. I want clarity in the highs for sure. But when the sonic balance scews more in the highs and high hats and cymbals are so prominent in my ears, its not as fun a listen for me.

Again, this was a short a/b session I had with these phones but.... I was not inspired by their sound. That price is unwarranted I think. The headphones were running off the Mackintosh headphone amp/dac (forget the name right now)... Maybe with a  different set up I'd like them more?? Who knows. I'm not really in the market anyway, i was there meeting a friend who was auditioning them and thought I'd give my 2 cents. My LCD 2.2's still make me happy.... They have great tone and body to the sound that lets me emotionally engage with my music... As opposed to over analyzing it. If I want to zero in on specifics (soundstage, detail, sonic spectrum etc) they let me do that as well... But lately, I've just been enjoying my set up and my MUSIC and not fussing around. Thank. God. Haha

Anyway I hope this helps a bit mate :)

mandy1234

A very good closed headphone, perhaps too expensive. The scene is small but with a good depth. Sometimes it creates a tubular sensation as if you were listening to the music coming out of a deep but narrow corridor, a little strange at first. To my ears it is equal or surpassed by some at half its price, but not on absolute terms of course. Some of these can be the Beyerdynamic T5 2nd gen, Ultrasone Signature Pro, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed or perhaps the B&W P9 but with less clarity. However, I enjoy its ability to reproduce details and its clarity on good recordings compatible with its sound. In traditional jazz with few musicians it sounds heavenly despite its small scene. On the other hand, it can become too bright for my taste in certain musical genres such as: modern jazz, fusion, progressive rock even in certain classic rock.

I think it's a very good headphone if you listen to the correct recording.

dB Cooper

My guess is they're either Beyers or Beyer copies clones. The resemblance is uncanny (pun intended). Considering that you can get Beyer's flagship T-1 for < $1K street, the price does seem high. There's some very tough competition in the $2K price bracket.

In some quick ggogling, I discovered that the McIntosh name is now also being put on car speakers.

Stu Pitt

McIntosh made car stereos a while back. Head units and amps had their trademark meters, and they made speakers. I’m 99.9% sure they weren’t just some rebranded and marked up through the roof stuff. I think the head units were like a preamp, with all amplification being done by the external amps. I’m not sure how successful the endeavor was.

The head units looked really cool. I love the Mac look, so take that as you will.

Freo-1

Mac gear in general sounds excellent, is built like a tank, and is long lasting.  Having said that, not sure the headphones mentioned here are in the same league as their amps/preamps, etc. 

For example: The Sony MDR-Z7 is much better built, has 70mm drivers, and sounds very good for the price. Probably a much better buy than the Mac headphones.

dB Cooper

McIntosh made car stereos a while back. Head units and amps had their trademark meters, and they made speakers.

Not sure why a car amp would need meters since they are invariably located where you can't see them. Head units, different I guess. Guess ithey're for when you open your trunk to show off your system to your friends.
« Last Edit: 6 Nov 2018, 04:11 pm by dB Cooper »

Stu Pitt

Not sure why a car amp would need meters since they are invariably located where you can't see them. Head units, different I guess. Guess ithey're for when you open your trunk to show off your system to your friends.
Google images search McIntosh car stereo. Amps came with and without meters. And you could get a separate meters box that could fit in the dash or wherever else you wanted them. If I had the money back then (and a worthy car), I’d have been all over it.

I think McIntosh is the best looking stuff around, but that’s just me. I really dig their sound too. If I had a ton of cash and did multiple systems, one would definitely be McIntosh. I like a select few other brands’ sound more though.

toocool4

I think McIntosh is the best looking stuff around, but that’s just me.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, to me they are just gordy bling in your face. Those bright displays would drive me mad in a darkened room, while I am trying to enjoy the music.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

mandy1234

I imagine that part of the price that we have to pay for headphones is the brand, certainly very respected in audio.

Personally I do not perceive the cost in its performance and much less in its construction. The driver's technology has been borrowed from Tesla of Beyerdynamic. They have also used ear cushions similar to those that Beyer puts on $ 300 headphones.

It has a small soundstage and a very bright sound for my taste, however the sound is good as a whole, but
I feel it is not on par with the sound of planar magnetic headphones which is half the price.

mandy1234

I am a big fan of planar magnetic headphones, so I have several in my collection. I'm not going to compare the Macintosh with open planars like the Hifiman HE1000, MrSpeakers Ether Flow or the Audeze LCD-X / LCD-3 because that's not a fair comparison. However, it seems good to compare it with the LCD-XC, Ether C / Ether C Flow and the Aeon Flow Closed.

The Macintosh is a very good closed headphone. It has a clear and quite precise sound with its own strengths. However, according to my ears, its presentation, tonal/timbral definition does not compete with those mentioned. All these begin to point towards electrostatic headphones in terms of their overall performance. They also have a natural ability to control the sibilant sound for the advantages offered by its larger drivers.

I think their natural competition can be the Beyer T5, Focal Elegia, Ultrasone Signature Pro, B & W P9, Sony MDR-Z7, ZMF Eikon / Atticus.