King Rex PSU MKii...Anyone using?

rodge827

King Rex PSU MKii...Anyone using?
« on: 25 May 2013, 05:35 pm »
I have a few 12v pieces of gear and was wondering if anybody is using or has any experience with this product?

The standard questions, performance, build quality, customer service, something else better at or near price point...?

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-equipment/power-supplies/kingrex-psu-mkii.html

Chris

edwin

Re: King Rex PSU MKii...Anyone using?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2013, 08:23 am »
The Kingres PSU Mk2 has nothing special with its parts and sound performance. I have friends who used them and need to upgrade the parts to make it sound better. Caps used are just industrial grade.

My recommendation, if you are handy with a soldering iron, buy a linear power supply board and stuff in good parts. It will be a lot better and cheaper than the kingrex.

Here is my diy linear power supply, to power my media player, playing my FLAC files to my system,

rodge827

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2013, 12:44 pm »
edwin,

Very nice looking power supply!  :thumb:
I'm not to handy with a solder gun, but know a few people who are.
I know this is a lot to ask...any chance that you could either post or pm me the parts list and where to get them?

Thanks for the info on the King Rex MK2,

Chris

jMelvin

« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2013, 01:05 pm »
FWIW I've been using one to power my QuteHD for a few months now with very good results. Compared to the stock wall wart I found it improved just about everything (soundstage, midrange, bass). It's gotten some pretty good reviews if you look around (John Darko's review comes to mind). I've not used another ps to compare but the Teddy Pardo power supply at about the same cost seems to be gaining traction on various forums.

edwin

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2013, 07:11 am »
Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems the limitation of the teddy pardo is the current output but it is a well thought design and for sure will be a lot better performing for low current requirements.

edwin

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2013, 07:12 am »
edwin,

Very nice looking power supply!  :thumb:
I'm not to handy with a solder gun, but know a few people who are.
I know this is a lot to ask...any chance that you could either post or pm me the parts list and where to get them?

Thanks for the info on the King Rex MK2,

Chris

Chris, thanks for the compliment.

I will get back to you on the parts.

edwin

edwin

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2013, 07:17 am »
FWIW I've been using one to power my QuteHD for a few months now with very good results. Compared to the stock wall wart I found it improved just about everything (soundstage, midrange, bass). It's gotten some pretty good reviews if you look around (John Darko's review comes to mind). I've not used another ps to compare but the Teddy Pardo power supply at about the same cost seems to be gaining traction on various forums.

Yes it is true, replacing the SMPS of your equipment to linear PS will have an impact to the improvement of the sound but not all linear power supply are created equal. Design and parts used are the key factors, IMHO.

jMelvin

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2013, 12:30 pm »
Yes it is true, replacing the SMPS of your equipment to linear PS will have an impact to the improvement of the sound but not all linear power supply are created equal. Design and parts used are the key factors, IMHO.

No, not all are created equal of course. My experience with power supplies is somewhat limited and my ability to build my own is nil (unfortunately). Are there better than the MK2? No doubt, however for the money spent I was not disappointed.

edwin

« Reply #8 on: 5 Aug 2013, 11:30 pm »
No, not all are created equal of course. My experience with power supplies is somewhat limited and my ability to build my own is nil (unfortunately). Are there better than the MK2? No doubt, however for the money spent I was not disappointed.

Anyway, at the end of the day, what is important is you are satisfied with the purchase.  :D

Happy listening.