VMPS Inventory available

buddyiramae

Re: VMPS Inventory available
« Reply #40 on: 7 Feb 2013, 03:07 pm »
Sir,
I would like to purchase both vitrified subs.  John, please let me know how to proceed. My zip code is 75160. Thank you.
Mike K.

John Casler

« Reply #41 on: 7 Feb 2013, 06:25 pm »
John,
I have just written you at bioforce asking to buy the older PRs, the vitrified pair. Thank you for your work helping the VMPS fans.

Hi Ed,

At this point, someone has already committed to purchasing them and you would be second on the list if something falls thru.

John Casler

« Reply #42 on: 7 Feb 2013, 06:26 pm »
Sir,
I would like to purchase both vitrified subs.  John, please let me know how to proceed. My zip code is 75160. Thank you.
Mike K.

Hi Mike,  You would be 3rd on that list (or if we uncover any more)

John Casler

UPDATE
« Reply #43 on: 7 Feb 2013, 06:29 pm »
First Modded Neopanels and 6.5" Megas are scheduled to reach me tomorrow.

I should be able to fill and ship most present orders this next week.

Thanks all for your responses.

BobRex

« Reply #44 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:10 pm »
John, do you know if there are any of the RM30 woofer / PR mods still around?  The one where the 10" is replaced with a PR.

Thanks

John Casler

« Reply #45 on: 8 Feb 2013, 03:26 pm »
John, do you know if there are any of the RM30 woofer / PR mods still around?  The one where the 10" is replaced with a PR.

Thanks

At this time, there are no CDWG's that have been reported to me.  I have a PR that will fit the cutout and functions especially well, but does not allow the woofer grill to be used.

Brax

« Reply #46 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:01 pm »
I received my Neo Mids, thanks John. These will keep my VMPS speakers alive for years to come.

John Casler

« Reply #47 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:15 pm »
Hi Brax,

Yes, I think we can get and keep quite a few running, but the supply of Neopanels is limited.

I also will have a limited supply of "spiral tweeters" coming in a couple days for those with 626/RM1/RM2/RM40/Ambiance Tweeters that have used them.

John Casler

« Reply #48 on: 14 Feb 2013, 08:16 pm »
I am also adding a recent find of a VSS SUB in Macassar Ebony.  I will add this to the original Inventory post as an update.

rbbert

« Reply #49 on: 14 Feb 2013, 10:28 pm »
Are the Neopanels likely to "wear out" as a cone driver does?  Other than total failure (seems unlikely) or damage, is there any reason to anticipate having to replace the Neopanels?

Brax

« Reply #50 on: 14 Feb 2013, 10:54 pm »
My thought is that anything mechanical can and will eventually wear out. I'd hate to have to scrap out a set of RM2s just to scavenge a neo panel to replace one in my RM30s or RM40s. You should be able to find an acceptable replacement for any of the rest of the drivers, but not the Neo Panels. With 23 Neo Panels in all, what are the chances one will go out? It's not worth the risk.

rbbert

« Reply #51 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:19 pm »
I don't see any particular part of the Neopanel that is likely to "wear out" in any of our lifetimes, though.  Not like the surround of a cone driver, for instance.  Electrostatic panels from the 1950's and 1960's have still not "worn out"; they are often damaged, or just dirty, but not "worn out".

John Casler

« Reply #52 on: 14 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm »
While the panels are exceptionally robust, thousands of them had manufacturing defects that had to be fixed or they could develop a "buzz".  It was more due to a bad connection than something actually wearing out.  If the connection became intermittent then the panel would buzz or crack at certain frequencies.  :cry:

Many were modded by Brian after this issue presented itself and a mod was developed.  :thumb:

So some were not modded prior to that and they may never buzz/crack or they may do so tomorrow.

rbbert

« Reply #53 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:02 am »
Didn't you post that "we" know how to perform that mod if needed?  Just trying to add some clarity here; if there is little chance that an already modded panel will "fail", then an owner with already modded panels gains little by stockpiling panels (at least compared to someone trying to assemble a new V60, or someone who has one of the original RM models)

John Casler

« Reply #54 on: 15 Feb 2013, 12:21 am »
Didn't you post that "we" know how to perform that mod if needed?  Just trying to add some clarity here; if there is little chance that an already modded panel will "fail", then an owner with already modded panels gains little by stockpiling panels (at least compared to someone trying to assemble a new V60, or someone who has one of the original RM models)

Actually the mod has to be "exceptionally precise" or it too can fail, but that doesn't happen often.  In all my customers, I have only had three.

But on the other hand one year in Vegas, we had two modded panels in a row fail, so go figure.

Also, at this time the only person I know who is qualified to perform the mod is Angel, who worked for Brian and is helping his widow Shirley by modding all the remaining panels.

minnesotan

« Reply #55 on: 15 Feb 2013, 08:53 pm »
 John,
 I set a check in the mail on Februay 6, 2013, and I was wondering if it had been received yet.
 It shouldn't take even the USPS this long. Any updates or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
(minnetonkan)

John Casler

« Reply #56 on: 15 Feb 2013, 09:14 pm »
Yes, it arrived today.

I have the megawoofers, but am waiting for the next shipment of Neopanels before shipping yours.

Harvey

« Reply #57 on: 15 Feb 2013, 11:12 pm »
Thanks John, I just received my neopanel yesterday. I'm happily surprised to read here of how few neopanels have actually failed. My RM40's have taked some punishment from me at times in the past nine years or so. All within reason and short durations of course. These neopanels still continue to impress. Maybe I didn't need to buy one for insurance....but I'm glad I did.
If a modified panel was to fail, in most cases would it still produce a buzz or just stop working? Any idea?
Also, has anyone had any reliability problems with their FST tweeters?
Thanks Harv

Housteau

« Reply #58 on: 16 Feb 2013, 12:36 am »
If a modified panel was to fail, in most cases would it still produce a buzz or just stop working?

As John mentioned several panels started to buzz over the years at THE Show in Vegas.  I was there for at least three of them.  On some we just did a direct replacement, but on one we had to do a repair when the spares he brought did not appear to be modded.  Brian showed me how the repairs were made and had me do it for him.  On one of the terminals a circuit trace comes very close to it.  If it is too close certain frequencies will allow it to come in contact with it.  The fix he showed me was to reduce the size of the already very small ring connector for the wire. 

Now, there may be more issues than this one, but this is the one fix he showed me and I did have to do it to one of my own with good results. 
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2013, 02:13 am by Housteau »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #59 on: 16 Feb 2013, 02:34 am »
One of my customers first reported symptoms with several Neo panels, leading to discovery of a design/engineering flaw: electrical input terminals comprise rivets with unreliable contact.  Fix: cut rivet heads with Dremel tool, remove rivets and terminals, clean/prep aluminum contact trace on board, replace rivet with machine screw, solder lug, split ring lock washer, and nut.  Fastener size is critical, must be large enough for proper torque, plus the holes in the glass boards are over size for the application, causing too much slop if the fastener is too small.  But conversely, the traces are too close, so too large a fastener may short washers or solder lugs.  I have leftover repair hardware here if John or Shirley or anyone needs them just ask.   

For cosmetic reason only I preferred to position the screw head outside while Brian, for unknown reason, placed the screw thread, washer, and nut outside.  I asked Brian several times why he chose that orientation because I was curious if one method was better than the other.  Never heard why.  I estimate he simply did it that way the first time and had no reason to change it.

I'll perform the above repairs on panels requiring it for free, charging some dollar amount and forwarding it to Shirley.  It's been years since I did the repair but I can do it, it will just take a bit longer than when I was helping Brian do it regularly.  Estimate 25 minutes each panel.   

Members vote on the amount and I'll agree whatever it is.  Again, I'll send the entire amount collected to Shirley.   

IMO Brian and I fixed most of the Neo panels he sold.  Just look at the panel terminal.  If it's a rivet, if you don't see a screw head (my repair) or nut (Brian's repair), if I was you I'd update the panel ASAP.  If you choose not to do it yourself, ask John if Angel will do it or I'll do it.  The rivet is definitely flawed, FUBAR.

Soon after the Neos arrived Brian's RM40 won the CES award and we were selling RM40s as fast as we could build them.  The problem showed up pretty early, so that's why I think there's few in the field needing repair, or believe me I'd never volunteer for that duty.  When they ask for volunteers to step forward, I already stepped backward to the next county.