Cable tour review - Black Cat Veloce Digital IC

tonyptony

Re: Cable tour review - Black Cat Veloce Digital IC
« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2011, 02:08 pm »
Now, 2 weeks later, I presume my wire has been broken in to such an extent that its basic personality is there.

Goldlizsts, about how many playing hours wouldyou say is one the new Veloce? As I was the first one out of the box I guess my (going by memory now) initial impressions may help. I listened only for an hour or so to the cable - and then a bit more at about 50 hours - before I cooked it in system for about 200 hours. Again going by memory, I seem to recall the cable initially sounding "darker" or more closed in. And based on what others have posted as it's gone through the tour, I'm guessing the 200 hours I put on it (plus the 40 or 50 I think Chris put on it before sending it out) was about the bare minimum for it to get wherever it was going.

If you have about that much time on it and nothing else has changed in your system, then maybe Chris has changed the formula somewhat?
« Last Edit: 16 May 2011, 12:41 am by tonyptony »

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #41 on: 16 May 2011, 12:11 am »
Goldlizsts, about how many playing hours wouldyou say is one the new Veloce? As I was the fist one out of the box I guess my (going by memory now) initial impressions may help. I listened only for an hour or so to the cable - and then a bit more at about 50 hours - before I cooked it in system for about 200 hours. Again going by memory, I seem to recall the cable initially sounding "darker" or more closed in. And based on what others have posted as it's gone through the tour, I'm guessing the 200 hours I put on it (plus the 40 or 50 I think Chris put on it before sending it out) was about the bare minimum for it to get wherever it was going.

If you have about that much time on it and nothing else has changed in your system, then maybe Chris has changed the formula somewhat?

Thanks.  I  couldn't have had more than say 40 hours on my new Veloce.  So I'm hopeful perhaps that if I get it to go the 200 hours, it really opens up to a very different sound then!

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #42 on: 15 Mar 2012, 11:55 am »
Thanks.  I  couldn't have had more than say 40 hours on my new Veloce.  So I'm hopeful perhaps that if I get it to go the 200 hours, it really opens up to a very different sound then!

It's been a long while.  I just thought it's appropriate at this point to put in a "final" point, my last observation of the wire.  I was impressed with the audition version, so I ordered one.  The audition/tour one I found to have a very shiny open sound.  But, the new one (my own) on day 1 lacked that.  So I thought with time it would open up.  I got lazy, and didn't want to address it (like returning), and now it's toooo late.  But, I do want to put in a couple of observations though.

The shine I experienced with the tour wire never came in.  Also, I found that the RCA plugs (male) were loose.  Well, I thought may be it's only the CD player I had, a Meridian, the female RCA end had worn out a little.  I now have a new Marantz SA8004.  SAME.   Soooo, may be it's a point for the maker to consider re-spec'ing the wire for the manufacturing process, as a tiny bit matters (I suppose it could affect the integrity of the signal transfer).  The outside leaves of the RCAs perhaps can be tightened a bit (it's not easy with my fingers even).  But, then, the pin (the penis :green:) is also on the looose side (going in).  It's just a matter of spec I suspect.

That's it! Case closed!
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2012, 10:16 am by goldlizsts »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #43 on: 15 Mar 2012, 02:43 pm »
Note the Veloce has been replace by the Silverstar 75.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #44 on: 16 Mar 2012, 04:07 am »
Note the Veloce has been replace by the Silverstar 75.

Obviously I've been out of touch.  I haven't been getting e-mails from Chris either I think about the Silverstar (did I miss it?).... so I am not aware of the Silverstar 75.  Thanks for the heads up! 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #45 on: 16 Mar 2012, 04:53 am »
The website says it's an evolutionary product with a name change, so I would assume many of the characteristics noted on this thread may still apply in a general way.  Then again there really wasn't any consensus of opinion here anyway, so I suppose they could change whatever they liked and no one could document the differences.   :roll:  I'm shopping new digital including cables so the thread is very interesting and your update got me to look at the website again, so it's all good.  Funny, tonyptony lives a few blocks from me (ok, a couple of miles) and I never got in on the tour, I'm a putz.

TJHUB

« Reply #46 on: 16 Mar 2012, 12:07 pm »
I own a Veloce and was very happy with it.  Then I saw that Black Cat had a "better" design, and I was lucky enough to get an early shipment.  I've had the SilverStar 75 for over a month now.  I'll be listening to it again this weekend, but I'm very certain I'll be sending it back next week.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #47 on: 16 Mar 2012, 12:26 pm »
I own a Veloce and was very happy with it.  Then I saw that Black Cat had a "better" design, and I was lucky enough to get an early shipment.  I've had the SilverStar 75 for over a month now.  I'll be listening to it again this weekend, but I'm very certain I'll be sending it back next week.

Sending back?  Do we mean exchange?  Any such deal? :scratch:  I would like to get the SilverStar 75, hoping the plug would be tighter at least.....  IF there's an exchange program, so for a few more bucks....

TJHUB

« Reply #48 on: 16 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm »
Sending back?  Do we mean exchange?  Any such deal? :scratch:  I would like to get the SilverStar 75, hoping the plug would be tighter at least.....  IF there's an exchange program, so for a few more bucks....

Black Cat offers a 60-day return policy on all of their products. 

I read your comments about the loose fitting RCA adapters.  I have no issues with the fit on both my Touch or my EE Plus DAC.  I've also used the Veloce on my OPPO player and never noticed a loose connection. 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #49 on: 16 Mar 2012, 06:37 pm »
Black Cat offers a 60-day return policy on all of their products. 

I read your comments about the loose fitting RCA adapters.  I have no issues with the fit on both my Touch or my EE Plus DAC.  I've also used the Veloce on my OPPO player and never noticed a loose connection.

Thanks. My Black Cat is way past 60 days.  I shoulda, but.... lazy I guess.  Just finished playing with the wire, since the Marantz SA8004 is so new.  Hooked up the BNC terminal first time.  Don't like the sound compared to the straight RCA.  Yeap, the plugs are loooose, on both ends.  I've never had it so looose for sure.  That made me wonder if the signal transfer at both ends is really good.  Serious.  Tooo looose.  It's the "just slide in" kind of feel.  Good if it's a condom, but not an RCA plug.

Have a nice weekend.

Berto

« Reply #50 on: 16 Mar 2012, 06:58 pm »
Thanks. My Black Cat is way past 60 days.  I shoulda, but.... lazy I guess.  Just finished playing with the wire, since the Marantz SA8004 is so new.  Hooked up the BNC terminal first time.  Don't like the sound compared to the straight RCA.  Yeap, the plugs are loooose, on both ends.  I've never had it so looose for sure.  That made me wonder if the signal transfer at both ends is really good.  Serious.  Tooo looose.  It's the "just slide in" kind of feel.  Good if it's a condom, but not an RCA plug.

Have a nice weekend.

I'm curious when you say you you hooked up the BNC does that mean you used a BNC adaptor to go over the RCA? That would explain the loss of SQ imo.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #51 on: 16 Mar 2012, 07:08 pm »
I'm curious when you say you you hooked up the BNC does that mean you used a BNC adaptor to go over the RCA? That would explain the loss of SQ imo.

No, I just took off the RCA plug from one end of the wire, and hooked up to the BNC side on the back of the EE DAC.  The wire's RCA plug is detachable, right?  The BNC hookup is tight simply because of the way it is.  It's the RCA plugging I am saying is loosy goosy.