Furman SPR-20i

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Furman SPR-20i
« on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:41 am »
I'd like to discuss this unit as Lou from Daedalus said this is his favorite even over the Furman Ref20i. 

Does anyone else have experience with it?  Thoughts? 

I know it's great for regulation but my power is really stable + / - 2V max.  Will this unit be of any benefit? 

audiogoober

Re: Furman SPR-20i
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2012, 04:29 pm »
I've tried several configurations at a few locations with the BUSS, and I agree with Lou. The Uber/Furman SPR-20i together are glorious!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2012, 07:54 pm »
I've tried several configurations at a few locations with the BUSS, and I agree with Lou. The Uber/Furman SPR-20i together are glorious!
Cool.  What else have you tried equipment wise before the SPR?

cab

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2012, 08:35 pm »
I'd like to discuss this unit as Lou from Daedalus said this is his favorite even over the Furman Ref20i. 

Does anyone else have experience with it?  Thoughts? 

I know it's great for regulation but my power is really stable + / - 2V max.  Will this unit be of any benefit?

According to the specs, it only regulates to +/-1V so if your power is stable to +/-2V max, you aren't getting much more regulation and it is doubtful that the additional 1V regulation is going to do much for you, practically speaking....

Mike82

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:46 am »
cab’s correct. Your voltage already appears to be stable so regulation isn’t going to improve your situation. There may be other anomalies, however, and you would have to address those before spending $$$$ on a PLC component.

I’ve had at least 8 different “power conditioners” and found their usefulness less than uniform.  One issue that is unavoidable in your home is electrical noise generated within your home through appliances, computers, digital clocks, etc.

I have pretty stable mains where I live and in my experience an isolation transformer on my digital components yielded the best improvement and also at the lowest cost.  You can find small isolation transformers (<3 or 4 amps for your digital gear) on Ebay for well under $100.00. Powervar makes some good units. If it doesn’t work as you expect, sell it and lose nothing. It beats spending 100s or 1000s on something that may offer the same improvement. 

Before spending big bucks on a PLC, try an isolation transformer.  And of course a dedicated circuit line should be the first step if possible.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:28 pm »
Thanks.

Then I'll ask the question.  What would the Ref 20i do for me over this? 

Mike82

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:46 pm »
Well, for sure it will cost you about $1600 more than a Powervar. Other than that, I can’t say. I’ve used balanced power supplies from Blue Circle, Silver Circle and Exact Power. I found the Powervar as effective as these. 

The balanced isolation transformer design cancels common mode noise, but in my experience a regular isolation transformer does as well.

View these videos- http://powervar.com/education_details.php?id=2

As I said, try one and if it doesn’t impress you then sell it.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2012, 09:48 pm »
Well, for sure it will cost you about $1600 more than a Powervar. Other than that, I can’t say. I’ve used balanced power supplies from Blue Circle, Silver Circle and Exact Power. I found the Powervar as effective as these. 

The balanced isolation transformer design cancels common mode noise, but in my experience a regular isolation transformer does as well.

View these videos- http://powervar.com/education_details.php?id=2

As I said, try one and if it doesn’t impress you then sell it.
Which model Powervar? 

Mike82

« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2012, 10:14 pm »
Well, if you’re only doing your digital front end, then a 2 amp (240 watts capacity) would be sufficient.  You wouldn’t need any larger as these components only draw a few watts. The greatest improvement is isolating digital components from everything else.

As far as amplifiers go, the jury’s still out. Most think going straight into the wall is best for meeting current demands.   If you use one then you’d be looking at a 12 amp unit which cost a bit more (about $300 on Ebay).

I’d start with a small unit on your digital components.

kbuzz3

« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2013, 03:29 pm »
I just sent my pre down to bob to analyze for some power supply upgrades. Will report back....