Copper chassis CORNET up and running (updated)...

arco

• http://www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm
« on: 18 May 2004, 04:39 pm »
I think I have finally replied to the age-old question: “Can a low output MC be amplified with an all-tube system and within a high efficiency environment, with no noise at all?” The answer is a resounding “Yes”, although I had to persevere for a long time trusting my instincts, against most of the people I know! These said, not without reason, that with the system and MC (just 0.25 mV output for my original Transfiguration Temper) I had, I’d rather stay with transistors…Now, they eat their hearts out!!!

My research on this matter began almost 7 months ago, when I first took a closer look at the CORNET phono stage. According to the many people who had built it (many references in Audio Asylum), the thing was cheap, glorious sounding and…dead silent. This was a good start, although the term “cheap” must be related to the components used and the quality of the chassis. Still, I bought the nicely made board and, after some thought, let it rest for a while…

What I did, instead, was to hard wire the very simple circuit with components I already had in my stash, just to make sure. Well, these guys were right…The amp (coupled to my vintage Conrad-Johnson premier 6 nuvistor pre-pre amp) was indeed glorious sounding, although some tube hiss persisted (normal).

So, I had to use step-up transformers and my previous experience with these was not at all conclusive. I mean, in the past, I have tried to amplify a similarly low-output DENON 103 with its proprietary transformers and the results were more than catastrophic i.e. the music was as if robbed of its dynamic content. This time, I had a gain of 44dB in the MM stage, so a quick calculation showed that I needed a transformer capable of 1:30 amplification. Enter the LUNDAHL 1678 and my luck which began smiling, as the importer is a friend agreeing to take them back, if they did not work to my total satisfaction. But they did more than satisfy me and, as a result, I bought the pair…

From then on, I began “hunting” components to optimize the whole: As you can see, I have found a very nice copper chassis on Ebay and also purchased a whole bunch of Riken-Ohm carbon resistors, teflon, oil-filled and paper caps, silver wiring…the works! For a detailed inside view, please see this  picture

Finally, I have installed 2x CV4004 & CV491 Mullards and tested a number of rectifiers, before settling for a M.O.D. CV378 blast from the past. Vinyl rediscovered!

UPDATE (30/05): MULLARD 4004's replaced by ECC83's TUNGSRAM. Better still...

skaloumbakas

• http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm
Nice work indeed...
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2004, 06:04 am »
Nice work indeed arco - as usual!!!

I will try to climb up Penteli mountain one day and put my 'precious' ear(s) on...  :wink:

Cheers

penance

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2004, 08:17 pm »
Hi arco
Beutiful looking Cornet.
I see you have used large pp caps on the B+, im doing the same with my next cornet build. How do you think this is different from using electro-lytics?
I ask as this will be the first time i have done this.

arco

• http://www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm
Electrolytics vs oil-filled
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2004, 09:38 pm »
Thanks, Penance, for your kind words.

These are not exactly PP caps...They are metalized polypropylene film, similar in construction to Solens, but suspended in a bath of vegetable oil. Lets call them, oil filled.

It is the 2nd time I use oil filled caps (have also used them in the PS of my 45 amp, see this link ) and I really prefer them to even very good quality electrolytics, like Elna Cerafines. I think these caps just let the music flow and this without any hint of the "artificiality", most electrolytics impart to the sound.

What the oil filled caps lack is the ultimate transparency and speed of a, say, pure polypropylene PS, although this is more or less felt according to synergies with the rest of the system. On the contrary, a pure polypropylene PS will usually lack the "slam" that oil filled and other electrolytics impart to the final result.

With Black Gates - finally - it is rather a close call, but one should keep in mind that you need about 350 hours to break them in and - most important - you should play your equipment almost every day, if you really want them to continue being in maximum sonic shape.

Yep...Life is full of compromises!

penance

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2004, 07:13 pm »
Hi arco,
Thanks for your reply.
I have some Solen caps to use on the B+ for the next build of my cornet (cornet2 board). So maybe similar to yours.
I have also ordered some 10,000uf Cerafines for the heater circuit. A bit on the large side but hopfully a worthwhile course to follow.
I have just purchased a copper chassis from Ebay from a seller called dgamu. I suspect this is the same person you purchased yours from, at this rate i will be copying your cornet:)

Your 45 amp also looks very nice, i can see your case work is very good.
You guys in Greece sure do things the proper way.

I am currently building a TT and that idea was spurred on by reading the A.C.A. website, in particular the TT work by Christos Skaloumbakas. I will maybe contact him one day agout the disco ring aswell.

I hope your cornet is improving further with some hours on it.