Sony CD-Rs

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Sony CD-Rs
« on: 16 Jul 2010, 02:37 pm »
I try not to complain too much but this one has me pretty annoyed.
I burn a lot of CDs (using an Hhb 830 BurnIt Plus which is a nice unit) and every so often I'll encounter some bum CD-Rs.  It's not the end of the world so I just chuck them out.
I was using Sony CD-Rs recently and had really good results with a batch of 50 that I'd picked up at Wally World who then discontinued the Sony line.
I picked up another 50 Maxells in the meantime (a few duds) and then ordered a stack of 100 Sony's from somebody on eBay. 
Out of the first 10 there were 9 duds.  It looked like everything was going fine until at the very end of the disc the burner read New Disc.
I grabbed some new Maxells (all of which have worked perfectly), went back to recording and contacted the seller (who was no help) and then contacted Sony to see if perhaps there was a problem with this particular run over in Taiwan where they make them.
I finally reached the correct number at Sony and after going through a few more prompts the recording informed me that if the product was not used in a Sony burner I should contact the manufacturer and then the recorded voice said Goodbye and hung up!
Granted, this is a small purchase and it's kind of a trivial matter but it's back to Maxell for me.

Wayner

Re: Sony CD-Rs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2010, 04:19 pm »
I use Sony, because it's they real only "name brand" out here in the sticks. I used to like Imation, but then bought a 50 pack that was bad. If I could get Maxell locally, I would use them as I like the brand. For the Sony CD-Rs, I would occasionally get a bum disc, but I'm not sure if I could blame the recorder or the disc. I guess it was the disc, cause the next one would work. I'd usually have one or two out of a 50 pack that fail.

Wayner

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2010, 04:25 pm »
I have a standalone burner too. I found initially that Kodak cd-r worked the best with very few duds. Their quality went down, so I switched to Sony, which were quit good, but their quality went down as well, getting more duds.

So now I use either Verbatim or Fujifilm with good results. But some discs don't copy and then the cd-r no longer copies.

I also used Maxwell Pro with good results, but they are not easily found in my area. 8)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2010, 04:27 pm »
Steve turned me onto TDK Music CDR's..most excellent I must say..
http://www.amazon.com/Life-Record-Music-Pack-Spindle/dp/B00006B7U9

The product title is incorrectly spelled but they are in fact TDK's

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2010, 06:43 pm »
I use Mitsui for more important stuff and Taiyo Yuden for most of the rest.  But I don't many discs nowadays.

decal

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2010, 07:58 pm »
I've had "duds" on every brand CD-R I've used.Sony does seem to have the most though.I'm not sure,but blank CD-R's may just be bought from a bulk supplier and then branded by the company selling them,who knows. :scratch: