Dealers..I try but cannot ...

mclsound

Dealers..I try but cannot ...
« on: 28 Jun 2010, 10:36 pm »
I was on Audiogon the other day and seen a Krell 250M up for sale at $1500 and just missed it and see a dealer reseller guy bought it and immediately increased it 46% and even used the same pic.These guys are sickning and give me a cronic headach and I wish they would stop stealing from people.I beleive his handle is Systemdesigner.I know this happens alot but it is sad is all.

srb

Re: Dealers..I try but cannot ...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:26 pm »
I hardly think buying something at a low price and reselling it for a profit qualifies as stealing.  It's no different than finding a deal on a component at a yard or estate sale and reselling for a profit.

If it is priced at fair market value, it will sell.  If it is overpriced and somebody buys it, they should have done their research and due diligence.

You really should not have gotten a chronic headache over this.

Steve

HAITIMAN

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:46 pm »
I understand this as "Capitalism".

For example...I bought shares of Apple some years ago for $88.00 per share....and then I sold them, (somebody bought them from me), for $147.00 per share.

Should I feel guilty? :scratch:

Answer: No way.

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:03 am »
I think all old audio gear should be sold for $1.00 for the sake of the hobby.  We must keep it pure!
I am about as pinko as you get and I see nothing wrong with that. Nothing sad or bad. You snooze you loose.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:22 am »
I understand this as "Capitalism".

For example...I bought shares of Apple some years ago for $88.00 per share....and then I sold them, (somebody bought them from me), for $147.00 per share.

Should I feel guilty? :scratch:

Answer: No way.

:thumb: :thumb:   :lol:

Buy low, sell high 

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:22 am »
Hey!

You are pissed because he saw it first and missed the opportunity to do the same right?

Well, he is a good businessman... buy low, sell high. :D Nothing wrong with that. :D I would have done the same if given an opportunity  :wink:

Oh! BTW... he shouldn't have use the same picture of the item if it was taken by the previous owner... unless he got permission to do so or that was a stock photo.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:36 am »
That's capitalism.  :D :(

Had it happened to me one time. I sold an expensive HF rig only to see the same Ebay'er sell it for much more. Yup- it stung!

I see that happening allot now days!

lord dubious

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:25 am »
Hi All
The problem is that the dealer did not produce an item of value or provide a service.  I believe there are more productive and ethical ways to make a living.
Thanks to mclsound for saying something.  Sometimes we should confront things we disagree with.
Just my two cents worth.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2010, 01:30 am »
The problem is that the dealer did not produce an item of value or provide a service.  I believe there are more productive and ethical ways to make a living.

So if an Internet vendor buys new components at wholesale and marks them up for resale, they need to find a "more productive and ethical way to make a living", because they "did not produce an item of value or provide a service"?

Steve

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:23 am »
Hi All
Thanks to mclsound for saying something.  Sometimes we should confront things we disagree with.
Just my two cents worth.

Productive and ethical ways to make a living? 

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me - why does the dealer have to provide a service (other than selling the item) for this transaction to be acceptable to you?  Do you feel the same way about how eBay operates?  Do you feel that audio has something unique to it?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:25 am »
I was on Audiogon the other day and seen a Krell 250M up for sale at $1500 and just missed it and see a dealer reseller guy bought it and immediately increased it 46% and even used the same pic.These guys are sickning and give me a cronic headach and I wish they would stop stealing from people.I beleive his handle is Systemdesigner.I know this happens alot but it is sad is all.

It isn't sad (other than the fact that you missed a good deal) and nothing is wrong.

If the market will bear the mark up, it is fine and the system worked.

If the market won't bear the mark up, it is fine and the system worked.

Moral of the story...if you see a great deal, grab it while it is available.

George

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:32 am »
I can see the OPs point.  It's not like Joe the consumer can get a dealers price direct from a manufacturer / distributor. 

lord dubious

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:38 am »
Hi again
I took this thread to be about a specific event and offered a supporting view.  I was not my intention to cause offence.
From where I stand, I see too many people who take much and give little in return.  Although it happens, I choose to resist such things.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2010, 03:50 am »
I generally won't buy stuff on Audiogon unless the price is right.  If I am going to buy something stripped of traditional local dealer support I expect a deal.  I've seen it happen and I'll just wait.  I look at used amps for the secondary bedroom system all the time.  I have a space limitation behind the center channel and underneath the TV.  I currently have an Adcom 555 to drive the left and right channel, which, for what I use the bedroom for, is overkill.  I'll wait until I find something suitable I like (and hopefully local too), and, if not, I'll keep looking.  I do the same if on rare occasion look at E-Bay, it is the same.  A couple of mos. back I bought used B&W LM-1s for height channels (I'll use them eventually when I upgrade the receiver) in the secondary basement system (I have old P6s as mains and  the LM-1s were easy to mount where I wanted them and were not a fortune for a seldom used system).  I looked at Audiogon as well.  I waited until I got a decent price (looked for 3-4 months).  I've been looking at a bedroom system amp off and on for probably since the end of last year.  If it is another year or more, that is fine too.

cujobob

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2010, 05:20 am »
Capitalism yada yada yada...this is a hobby.  We'll do things for family (like discount things we'd sell to them) because we want to be nice, why not do it for others?  It's not illegal to buy and re-sell at a higher price.  If that person wouldn't mind someone doing that to them, then they should sleep well at night.  Myself, I try to make deals that other people are happy with because it reflects on me as a person.  Also, we've all been helped by others in this hobby....recommendations, information, good discussions, deals, etc.

mclsound

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2010, 06:10 am »
I to love the internet,I to love buying used equipment to try and see what I like and I to love this hobby BUT I believe dealers are slowly dying out as many people slowly get sick of giving their money away...and with all the well built,rebuildable items available used,it seems like a sin to just give some reselling idiot $700 of our money.Capitalism,true,but it does not mean you have to buy their  product,also true.I am just saying that companies will soon be internet direct even more so because of reselling idiots like these guys.I am done with dealers anyways...hell I could get burnt 3 times on product purchases and still have a hundred bucks in my pocket then buy a brand new piece from a dealer and resell it a year later.I just love to see someone get a good deal,someone who mabe a new lover of audio but these resellers are trolls and I hope people dont help pay for there cars is all.Just my opinion

werd

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2010, 06:48 am »
Nah, i see this all the time with pizza. You bring a pizza home and you put it on the kitchen counter, go have a nap and wake and its all gone... You snooze you looze........ don't leave that pizza laying around or its going get eaten.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #17 on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:12 am »
What "people" did the dealer "steal" from?  Did these "people" ever own the amp?  Are dealers second-class citizens who shouldn't be allowed to buy and sell in the same marketplace as the "people"?

Mclsound, you might look at it this way:  You had an opportunity to buy something at dealer cost, and didn't recognize it.  Audiogon is a place where some pieces are available at what would be "dealer cost" for used gear.  You have to know what you're doing to spot 'em, and a professional who specializes in that particular type of used gear is more likely to do so.  But every single person on Audiogon had the opportunity to buy that amp at "used dealer cost", if they chose to.  With new gear, you don't even have the opportunity to buy it at dealer cost, unless you're a dealer.

If I see something on Audiogon that I want and the price looks good to me, I offer the seller his full asking price up front because I know I'm getting a good deal.  I bet the dirty dealer did just that. 

lord dubious

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:25 am »
What "people" did the dealer "steal" from?  Did these "people" ever own the amp?  Are dealers second-class citizens who shouldn't be allowed to buy and sell in the same marketplace as the "people"?

Mclsound, you might look at it this way:  You had an opportunity to buy something at dealer cost, and didn't recognize it.  Audiogon is a place where some pieces are available at what would be "dealer cost" for used gear.  You have to know what you're doing to spot 'em, and a professional who specializes in that particular type of used gear is more likely to do so.  But every single person on Audiogon had the opportunity to buy that amp at "used dealer cost", if they chose to.  With new gear, you don't even have the opportunity to buy it at dealer cost, unless you're a dealer.

If I see something on Audiogon that I want and the price looks good to me, I offer the seller his full asking price up front because I know I'm getting a good deal.  I bet the dirty dealer did just that.

I find myself flogging a dead horse here, but her goes.
To quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious".
I know you are a dealer and that is not the issue in dispute.
However, it seems that all you are saying is that it is OK for this dealer to step in and increase the price for no other purpose than personal gain.  In this dealer's absence, there would have been a happy seller and a happy buyer.  His interaction is nothing but self serving.
I may be deluded, but I find it hard to understand such behaviour.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:56 am »
To quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious".

Indeed, I can and I am.

I know you are a dealer and that is not the issue in dispute.

I agree with you on both of these points.

However, it seems that all you are saying is that it is OK for this dealer to step in and increase the price for no other purpose than personal gain.

Why does any merchant pay less for something than he plans to sell it for?  You are singling out this dealer because he purchased something on the open market and raised the price.  Other than this transaction being out in the open, and his having successfully bid against consumers, how is what he's doing any different from what every other merchant does every day?

In this dealer's absence, there would have been a happy seller and a happy buyer. 

Unless dealers are second class citizens, he has as much right to not be "absent" as you do.

Also, we do have a happy buyer and a happy seller.  One of them is a dealer. 

His interaction is nothing but self serving.

Very few people go on Audiogon for altruistic purposes.  The purpose of the site is to buy and/or sell toys.  How is that not self-serving? 

He didn't screw anybody, he didn't cheat anybody out of anything, he perceived greater value in the used amp than anybody else did and acted on it.  To him, the value in the amp is what he can sell it for.  To others, the value in the amp may be how much listening pleasure it brings them.   Both are self-serving, and neither is immoral.