Tone - where's it come from?

EthanH

Tone - where's it come from?
« on: 18 Apr 2010, 04:18 pm »
Title pretty much sums it up.  It seems like some gear just has better tone than other gear, and I'm curious if anyone can explain why this is.  For instance, I've heard a number of speakers, amps, and so on, and some them just get "it" right more than others.  I'm sure many of us have heard uber-spec'd gear that sounds lifeless compared to XYZ brand.  Can this quality be measured?  Reviewers seem to talk about it a lot.  Is there any way to know if something will have it just from specs?

My guess is it has something to do with the distortion profile, but I really have no idea. 

*Scotty*

Re: Tone - where's it come from?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:04 pm »
I assume you are not using the word TONE in a context defined by the Webster online Dictionary,: a sound of definite pitch and vibration. I don't understand your usage of the word. For me in this case it has as little meaning as the word MUSICAL used in the same context. "It seems like some gear just has better tone than other gear" The phrase,(is just more musical than other gear), could be inserted and I would have the same problem with a definition of the word used in this context.
Unless I hear a piece of gear that has what you define as good tone we will lack the common ground necessary for effective communication.
Scotty

EthanH

Re: Tone - where's it come from?
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2010, 06:23 pm »
Yes, that's the problem with this topic; it's totally subjective and there's no way to be sure that we're talking about the same thing.  I figured it was a worth a shot anyway.