Multi room music question on electronics

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Multi room music question on electronics
« on: 18 Apr 2010, 01:19 pm »
I have just purchased a new home. It is five yrs old and has keypad controllers in six rooms. The previous owner took the Russound controller/amp so I am looking for a replacement. It is six zones. I have looked at the Niles, Russound and Speakercraft on line. A basic question. .... if I were to go with something other than another Russound would the cat5 wiring that runs to each zone still work on Russound keypads????? All of the ones I have seen allow for 4 to 6 inputs so that each room could have a different source. I dont really need that. One source to all would be my preference

Open to any and all suggestions as I have no experience in this multizone business. Stricly a 2 channel guy

thanks

K Shep

Re: Multi room music question on electronics
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 11:44 pm »
I have just purchased a new home. It is five yrs old and has keypad controllers in six rooms. The previous owner took the Russound controller/amp so I am looking for a replacement. It is six zones. I have looked at the Niles, Russound and Speakercraft on line. A basic question. .... if I were to go with something other than another Russound would the cat5 wiring that runs to each zone still work on Russound keypads????? All of the ones I have seen allow for 4 to 6 inputs so that each room could have a different source. I dont really need that. One source to all would be my preference

Open to any and all suggestions as I have no experience in this multizone business. Stricly a 2 channel guy

thanks

Your only option, if you chose to keep the exisiting key pads, is to purchase Russound gear.  The problem with removing the existing Russound key pads is no other manufacturer is going to match in size.  In other words the hole in the wall won't match.  If you are going replace the key pad your best bet is larger or you'll have to patch the sheet rock.  And yes the Cat5 wire will work with other mfg's.  Double check the wire, make sure it isn't proprietary.

Six zones, all with existing speakers in the ceiling or in wall?

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2010, 05:48 pm »
K Shep
thanks for the info. The six zones have speakers in the ceiling and one zone is on an outside deck with outdoor speakers. I will have a look at the keypad sizes but given the cost of the zone controllers in each room I will probably be stuck with Russound.
different subject ..... how are the Studio 2s working out. They look fantastic and I hope you are enjoying them

K Shep

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:57 am »
You could also leave the Russound key pads in place and not use them or you could remove them and patch and paint the wall.  I bring this up because you have speaker wire running to a location where you may place a receiver and control each zone from that location, source, volume and each zone.  So you aren't tied to the Russound k/p's.

You have many option available...the great news is you have speakers wired in your home.